CPM 15V PM2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Gtscotty

CPM 15V PM2

Post by Gtscotty »

Figured since there was a 15V Shaman thread, we needed one for the 15V PM2!

I'm not a big fan of the Manix design, but am a bit of a steel nerd, so I was hoping I'd get a crack at 15V in a format I like, PM2 is perfect for that.

Hopefully there are plenty of this sprint made. I didn't really pay attention to the 15V Manix rollout, so I don't know what the numbers were on that, but seems like exclusives and sprints have been lasting longer these days.
Last edited by Gtscotty on Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Soulrack

Re: CPM 15V PM2

Post by Soulrack »

I hope they make thousands of these.
timbits588

Post by timbits588 »

I have the manix and while the shaman is a heavier duty knife, the blade shape is quite similar. I'm interested to try the PM2 partly because of that.
The mule would be cool too, if I'm lucky enough to get one of those.
Guts

Post by Guts »

So excited. My favorite knife. Hopefully I can grab one, I have a feeling this may be more popular than the Manix drop was.
:bug-red-white :bug-red :bug-white-red
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I missed the Manix drop, which was far from tragic, so I'll really be looking forward to missing this one as well.
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

I got the 15V Manix and very happy so far. As far as the numbers in the drop, it was hard to track with dealers only getter around 5 each. I am truly guessing less than 500 were sold, maybe even less.

I am not sure what that will mean for the PM2 and Shaman; but it could be a pretty small drop. Or on the flip side, it is easier to work with than Maxamet so maybe it will replace it in spyderco's line and everyone can get some. Who knows...
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
Soulrack

Post by Soulrack »

MSRP $292.00 with a MAP of $204.40 so a bit spendier than the Manix was.
Guts

Post by Guts »

WilliamMunny wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:47 pm
Or on the flip side, it is easier to work with than Maxamet so maybe it will replace it in spyderco's line and everyone can get some. Who knows...
I sincerely hope so. The Manix drop was insane already with so much bickering about getting one. If it were regular production there wouldn't be that much drama over a knife steel.
electro-static

Post by electro-static »

Guts wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:55 pm
WilliamMunny wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:47 pm
Or on the flip side, it is easier to work with than Maxamet so maybe it will replace it in spyderco's line and everyone can get some. Who knows...
I sincerely hope so. The Manix drop was insane already with so much bickering about getting one. If it were regular production there wouldn't be that much drama over a knife steel.
I’m likely gonna the Shaman and PM2 drops, The Manix drop was intense. I think part of that Intensity was people clamoring to get their hands on BBB 15V. Hopefully with more models on the horizon folks will calm down.
Sharp24/7

Post by Sharp24/7 »

I have a hunch the Manix drop was limited to save some of the steel for this and the Shaman. Plus the BBB collab. I love 15V but since I landed a Manix I’m going to hold off for the BBB collab. If they reveal a 15V release in a different size model, that changes things.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Stoked for this one!
msum

Post by msum »

What accounts for the pricing difference between this and the Manix 2?

Is there always a price premium for the PM2? I assume material costs and manufacturing complexity don’t greatly differ, but maybe someone can correct me.

Is there a limited number of blades possible, such that CPM15V will never go into regular production? I assumed it would go into regular production, but then it occurred to me that there has been talk about the heat treat being tuned to each batch of steel. So, that led me to wonder if the runs might end when the batch is exhausted. Having said that, the upcoming BBB collab folder is meant to be a regular production model, right? So, then, the next question is, will there be constant tweaking of the heat treat and does that already happen for the various alloys that Spyderco uses?
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

msum wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:46 pm
Is there always a price premium for the PM2? I assume material costs and manufacturing complexity don’t greatly differ, but maybe someone can correct me.
Exact details on pricing is more of a Sal/Eric question.

Regardless I can definitely say the cost of the PM2 is still lower than procuring the raw materials to make your own 15V knife not to mention the time needed to execute it and the time needed to acquire knowledge and experience to do it well.

msum wrote:

Is there a limited number of blades possible, such that CPM15V will never go into regular production? I assumed it would go into regular production, but then it occurred to me that there has been talk about the heat treat being tuned to each batch of steel. So, that led me to wonder if the runs might end when the batch is exhausted.
Its a sprint run, so that means its not a ongoing production currently.
msum wrote:

Having said that, the upcoming BBB collab folder is meant to be a regular production model, right? So, then, the next question is, will there be constant tweaking of the heat treat and does that already happen for the various alloys that Spyderco uses?
No, the collaboration folders are usually not produced indefinitely like the PM2 etc.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
Stagg3r

Post by Stagg3r »

I think the targeted question is: why did the cost increase 33% (if reports are accurate) from the Manix 2? The answer may be as simple as, "because people will pay it". It just won't be popular so I doubt that will be the public reason. I suspect they can say that it is still cheaper than the Maxamet PM2. I would think the Manix 2 is the more difficult model to produce due as there are more components and trickier assembly but that may be incorrect.
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

Hmm, I guess I should have paid more attention to the Manix drop to see what strategies worked. Any tips on successful strategies to pick up a Manix that might be good to keep in mind for the PM2 from folks that were in that scrum?
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:09 pm
msum wrote:

Regardless I can definitely say the cost of the PM2 is still lower than procuring the raw materials to make your own 15V knife not to mention the time needed to execute it and the time needed to acquire knowledge and experience to do it well.

msum wrote:

Is there a limited number of blades possible, such that CPM15V will never go into regular production? I assumed it would go into regular production, but then it occurred to me that there has been talk about the heat treat being tuned to each batch of steel. So, that led me to wonder if the runs might end when the batch is exhausted.
msum wrote:

Having said that, the upcoming BBB collab folder is meant to be a regular production model, right? So, then, the next question is, will there be constant tweaking of the heat treat and does that already happen for the various alloys that Spyderco uses?
No, the collaboration folders are usually not produced indefinitely like the PM2 etc.
BBB, congratulations on the commercial adoption of your heat treat! I like the PM2 in this steel for its ability to show off the edge retention with its blade shape and will probably get this one, the Shaman and the Mule in your steel recipe
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

BBB, will you do custom regrinds to make these a laser super slicer?
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
msum

Post by msum »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:09 pm

msum wrote:

msum wrote:

Thanks so much for chipping in.

Haha, I think you’ve understated it. The PM2 is way cheaper than what it would cost me to make a knife out of CPM 15V. Way, way cheaper!

Ah, thanks for the info about the collaboration folder. I assumed it would be at least more available than a Sprint Run.
msum

Post by msum »

Is it worth an alert thread for this?

I would start one, but have no programming or AI skills relevant to locating drops in real time!

The Shaman seems to get more love, perhaps…?
Guts

Post by Guts »

msum wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:28 pm
Is it worth an alert thread for this?

I would start one, but have no programming or AI skills relevant to locating drops in real time!

The Shaman seems to get more love, perhaps…?
I'm personally hoping buddafuco does one for the PM2 as well like he did for the Manix. I also find it surprising the PM2 doesn't get as much love on the official Spyderco forum, but it is what it is. I'm kinda hoping all the rage for the 15V Shaman leaves me a chance for one of the 15V PM2's ;)