15V Shaman!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ZrowsN1s

Re: 15V Shaman!

Post by ZrowsN1s »

This thing has been in my pocket every minute I'm not at work since I got it. My other knives are getting jealous.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Giygas

Post by Giygas »

Vaugith wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:02 am
I like the looks of those scales a lot. The flytanium ti scales nearly perfectly match the factory G10 contouring but they're very slick. I've contemplated sending them in for some laser texturing for a while now. I didnt love the metonboss ti due to the reduced contouring, and I'm trying to test the Cerberus ultem but their total lack of contoring is really bothering me. These RGTs look like they have good contouring but also texture. Could be a winning combination. Folks who ordered them, please report back when you get them installed / use them a bit with your opinions!
My initial thoughts aren't great.

The milling is really bad. For example, the chamfering around the holes for the hardware looks like it was done with an off centered masonry drill bit:

Ultimately though, my bare minimum hopes were met. I wanted titanium scales that kept a similar contouring profile to the original G10 ones while offering more grip, and these are all of that. For the $104 that I paid, I guess I'm happy.

If I had it to do over again, I'm not sure I would. I'm positive I wouldn't pay the $160 full price for them, though.

I'll update this when I get more real use with them, which won't be long as the knife has been in my pocket since I got it 8 weeks ago.
Currently testing: M398, D3, SLD-Magic
Favorites: 10V, s90v
Wishlist: S290, Vancron, S125V, K890
17 Spydies, 14 steels
13 Maxace, 9 steels

https://instagram.com/cnyknifenut
https://youtube.com/@CNYKnifeNerd
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Laudbrian,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

I worked my edge a lot more and I’m not quite sure what did it but it’s been holding up okay. I was struggling to remove the burr after a 1200 grit atoma plate. Maybe jumping to a 1 micron strop was too large of a jump?

I’ve been warming up to the model even though it’s geared towards more hard use than I need. It hasn’t shown any signs of struggling at all. Just keeps asking for more.
dull&blunt

Post by dull&blunt »

Giygas wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:06 pm
Vaugith wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:02 am
I like the looks of those scales a lot. The flytanium ti scales nearly perfectly match the factory G10 contouring but they're very slick. I've contemplated sending them in for some laser texturing for a while now. I didnt love the metonboss ti due to the reduced contouring, and I'm trying to test the Cerberus ultem but their total lack of contoring is really bothering me. These RGTs look like they have good contouring but also texture. Could be a winning combination. Folks who ordered them, please report back when you get them installed / use them a bit with your opinions!
My initial thoughts aren't great.

The milling is really bad. For example, the chamfering around the holes for the hardware looks like it was done with an off centered masonry drill bit:

Ultimately though, my bare minimum hopes were met. I wanted titanium scales that kept a similar contouring profile to the original G10 ones while offering more grip, and these are all of that. For the $104 that I paid, I guess I'm happy.

If I had it to do over again, I'm not sure I would. I'm positive I wouldn't pay the $160 full price for them, though.

I'll update this when I get more real use with them, which won't be long as the knife has been in my pocket since I got it 8 weeks ago.
Ripps customer service is outstanding! Seriously, if there’s an issue they’ll probably take care of you. I’ve ordered a lot from them and sent a couple things back. For reasons way less than you’re describing too. Reach out to them.

I purchased two sets of Lil Native scales during that sale btw. Very happy with them :)
NiallRiv

Post by NiallRiv »

Came out of hiding to share that I just got one of these. My wife went to CO for a wedding over fathers day weekend and surprised me with box direct from the SFO. I was a little nervous that it was going to be a stock PM2 or something but you can imagine my surprise when it was the 15V Shaman! She couldn't have picked a better knife for me. I stepped back from collecting right when the Shaman platform first come out and it was the one knife I was kinda bummed I never got to try out. Also as a tool steel enthusiast, I'm super excited to try out 15V and especially with the stonewashed blade, that should help it on this island I live on called Humidityville. So far I've only used it to open up some thick cardboard boxes but was very impressed with its sliceyness even for a thicker blade. 'I think the stonewash helps with that. I love the ergonomics as well. It fits in the hand like the Manix 2 does for me, but even more comfortable with the chamfered edges, especially when really pushing hard. As a lefty, I've always really liked the compression lock so after putting the pocket clip in left side, tip up carry position, it felt like an old friend. Thank you Sal and Shawn and all the Spyderco team for another AWESOME knife, and to my wife for knowing me so well. I'm really excited to get some more pocket time with this one!