15V Shaman!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Scubas46

Re: 15V Shaman!

Post by Scubas46 »

Buddafucco wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:43 am
Scubas46 wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:05 pm
I am also a newbee to the Spyderco world, so please excuse my ignorance. But, does the sprint runs (Shaman 15V) ever come in stock on the Spyderco.com site?
Hey Scubas46... Welcome to the forum!
They had them in store but have not put them up on Spyderco.com yet. I suspect they are going to go really quick when they do. Their banner on the listings is a good indicator. It will change from "Coming Soon" to "Add To Cart" to "Out of stock" as they put them up for sale.
Thank you for the information.
SpiderIsland

Post by SpiderIsland »

Thanks Kennbr Great tip on the app !

kennbr34 wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:32 am
Omaha_Jake_161 wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:31 pm
I apologize in advance if this is the wrong thread... but, my email alerts are almost exactly 1 hour after the post. As we are all too aware, there are mere moments to spare when trying to buy these 15v drops. I was receiving the PM2 alerts on time, so I am puzzled. Again, sorry for a newb question, but I can't find any answers otherwise.
Subscribe AND Bookmark the Alert thread

Get the Pushover app and use the supplied email as your email here

Be sure also to check the thread every time you get a new alert for it or the system will stop sending notifications
Dog spelled backwards is…
Vaugith

Post by Vaugith »

Received from G&R tactical. Shipping was quick via USPS and no issues there. I paid shipping but not tax.

The stonewash is beautiful. The action is stiff, a bit off centered. Fully expect it to improve to perfect or near it with some breaking in and tuning.

I do however have to say the edge is horrible. There is a large burr with some chipping of the apex right in the center of the belly.

Good thing I fully intended to use it hard, replace the scales, sharpen it myself. A little disappointing to have to sharpen out of the box but not a deal breaker for me. Looking forward to seeing what this steel has to offer!
SpiderIsland

Post by SpiderIsland »

Vaugith wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:35 pm
Received from G&R tactical. Shipping was quick via USPS and no issues there. I paid shipping but not tax.

The stonewash is beautiful. The action is stiff, a bit off centered. Fully expect it to improve to perfect or near it with some breaking in and tuning.

I do however have to say the edge is horrible. There is a large burr with some chipping of the apex right in the center of the belly.

Good thing I fully intended to use it hard, replace the scales, sharpen it myself. A little disappointing to have to sharpen out of the box but not a deal breaker for me. Looking forward to seeing what this steel has to offer!

Congrats - It's a beauty. Bummer about the blade. I wonder if sometimes these get returned for whatever reason after some use and are put back into stock?
Not to cast any doubts, but I cannot see it leaving the factory that way.
Post a pic when you add those new scales :cheap-sunglasses
Dog spelled backwards is…
harpo1

Post by harpo1 »

SpiderIsland wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:42 pm
Vaugith wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:35 pm

Congrats - It's a beauty. Bummer about the blade. I wonder if sometimes these get returned for whatever reason after some use and are put back into stock?
Not to cast any doubts, but I cannot see it leaving the factory that way.
Post a pic when you add those new scales :cheap-sunglasses
I doubt it. I have 80 plus Spyderco knives and I'd say at least 25% come with awful edges. I've had at least five come just like the OPs direct from Spyderco. Better QC prior to sending out would help.
--Pete
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

Yep both my manix and pm2 15 v had issues out of the box. Seems like normal nowadays. Shame.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

If you want a perfect edge, you can send it to “Blades and fades” his work is amazing.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Vaugith

Post by Vaugith »

Notes on takedown:

Body screws and clip screws aggressively tight. One clip screw was loaded with threadlocker, other two had none. Evidence of hardened blue threadlocker in backspacer screw holes but not on screws. Pivot screws not that tight and no evidence of thread locker.

Liner appears to be stonewashed??? This is a change, no? Zero burr on pivot hole of liner, which had caused me issues on previous shamen.

After reassembly action and centering is perfect, as I suspected I could pull off. I didn't have time today to give it a proper full sharpening progression, but gave it a quick once over with my double stuff 2. It took a great edge very quickly and now slices newsprint smoothly and quietly, catches arm hair too. Looking forward to playing with it on my 600# bonded diamond stone and on my kme diamond lapping films to see what it's really capable of.

The ultem is totally new to me. Have to really use it to cement an opinion. First impressions are that I miss the extra contouring of the factory scales and I'm not so sure I like the skinny profile vs the belly of the factory scales. The weight savings are undeniable though, and they do feel significantly more solid than FRN which I'm not a fan of. Time and use will tell me more.
bobartig

Post by bobartig »

My brief experience with Ultem is that it has impressive strength to weight ratio and rigidity for a plastic material. It does take scuffs and dings if you drop it or run into abrasives, and it doesn't hide them as well as maybe textured G10. It has a bunch of other neat properties (temperature resistance, chemical resistance) which honestly matter zero for a knife handle, but I still think it's cool.
Slalomnorth

Post by Slalomnorth »

I was picking up a work truck in Denver today, and didn’t even realize I was driving right by the headquarters…what can I say I’m weak.

I’ve never held a shaman and didn’t think I would like the taller blade, and thick stock but lemme tell ya…it’s super comfortable and I like how you get the more finger clearance for cutting on a cutting board or something. Also with the beefy spine feels like you don’t need to baby it at all.
55EA6E11-EF6E-4111-8999-4D70A63C4E8E.jpeg
FAD7F530-95DC-48D7-92F1-5D30B2C81801.jpeg
These pretzels are making me thirsty
IndianaTony

Post by IndianaTony »

They have them today? Price? I’ve been in there twice looking.
Slalomnorth

Post by Slalomnorth »

IndianaTony wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:52 pm
Yep. I went in at 2. $290 before tax said they had 15
These pretzels are making me thirsty
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

BRB gonna hop on a plane to Colorado.
IndianaTony

Post by IndianaTony »

Slalomnorth wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:54 pm
IndianaTony wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:52 pm
Yep. I went in at 2. $290 before tax said they had 15
Right on! I skedaddled over there and was able to get one too! Thanks for the heads up!

For the locals, I called ahead and they said there were 15 in stock. The shop wasn’t too busy so if you get there first thing in the morning, I think you still have a shot.

For the others (currently cursing), from what I can tell this is the second batch SFO has received, and with the Manix there seemed to be a small batch and then a larger one. So hopefully this is the start of them being in stock for more than a few seconds. 🤞

Finally, family photo. I don’t have a bear so my turtle had to stand in (Rex-45, Z-Wear, 15V). Image
RAHComanche

Post by RAHComanche »

In stock at SFO online
Bluemoon69

Post by Bluemoon69 »

Only 26 left at 7 minutes post release at SFO online.
harpo1

Post by harpo1 »

Yes got mine ordered and now have all three in the series so far.
--Pete
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

RAHComanche wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:10 am
In stock at SFO online
Went fast, checked at 3 past the hour and nothing was up, figured it would not be out this hour, guess they were slow to post this one on the hour like they normally do.

Yes I have been checking 10am, 11am at 12 every day for the past week and still missed it, congrats to those who got it.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
FrontierAJL

Post by FrontierAJL »

I didn’t get an alert from the alert thread when they originally posted it in stock so I missed out. I only got an alert from the post at 17 after and put it in my cart and got all the way until the end of checkout and it kicked me back and removed it from my cart. Irritating as ****.
Lucid9110

Post by Lucid9110 »

Had it in cart fr SFO, and shows MSRP of $387 so passed. Maybe more will drop this week - fingers crossed.