Reveal 12 Live!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
varossdg

Re: Reveal 12 Live!

Post by varossdg »

Am I the only one excited about the orvis shirts? :rofl
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:35 am
it's crazy how many people outside of this forum dump on spyderco every time a reveal or product guide is released. they complain that there are only new variants, but ignore the steel innovation. in the same breath they complain about the steel in new models like the stok, failing to see that budget fixed blades aren't well represented in the vast lineup from spyderco. i don't envy the position of a company that has to try and please all of us whiners.
I agree and that negativity is too easy to find outside of this forum. It’s impossible to please everyone though, so I’m sure they’ve learned to take it all with a grain of salt, so to speak. I also like to think Spyderco is really good at deciphering between the fair criticism and the irrational whining.

Personally, I don’t consider myself a “steel junkie,” probably more of a “design junkie.” In that regard, I also have the preference to see more new designs instead of more variations of existing designs but I’m willing to have patience. I have great confidence that Spyderco will get back to creating some truly new and innovative knife designs. At the same time I still appreciate all the effort Spyderco puts in to not only learn about steel but also educate their customers about steel. They’re the best pioneers in the knife industry! :bug-white-red :respect
varossdg wrote:Am I the only one excited about the orvis shirts? :rofl
I’m right there with you! LOL Earlier in the thread I questioned what was wrong with myself because I think the shirts were my favorite product in the reveal. :grin-squint
-Nick :bug-red
Doonzman

Post by Doonzman »

I have my eyes set on the lil native wharny! 100% going to get it
“A man wishing to be unhappy finds many ways to prove his course”
- 100 Eyes
Araignee

Post by Araignee »

The release which interests me the most is the Counter Critter 😏
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Mushroom wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:34 am
ladybug93 wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:35 am
it's crazy how many people outside of this forum dump on spyderco every time a reveal or product guide is released....
...I agree and that negativity is too easy to find outside of this forum....

Internet negativity is suprising?

"...being on the internet, there is something unique about the way negativity spreads that doesn’t in any face-to-face community. Researchers in online communications have categorized the problem to its fullest. Specifically, on the internet:
1. People share negative information more than they do positive.
2. They will elaborate on the negative information than they will positive information.
3. There are more negative reactions to positive information.
4. There are less positive reactions to negative information."

--Mukai, "Science Proves Why the Internet is Negative"

Not defending internet or forum negativity, just saying it's the coin of the realm. I'm guessing the good folks at Spyderco know this, and they probably don't let social media critiques affect them much. At least I hope so.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
varossdg

Post by varossdg »

Cl1ff wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:01 pm
The k390 Enuff 2 apparently being the same price as the VG10 version is convincing. It’s trying to convince me to get a VG10 serrated and k390 plain edge, I mean.
Hallelujah
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Geometry wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:28 am
I just really want to play with some 15v, since some of Shawn's videos got me hyped on high performance steels and edge geometry in the first place back in the day. His logo on the blade is so rad for Spyderco to do.

That being said, the scramble for sprint runs is hectic and stressful and usually unless something is decently available I try to forget about it. And I already have enough pm2s and one shaman, which is really too thick in the edge for me.

If they would make 15v a production steel like they did with maxamet that would be a sweet thing for us nerds.

I have yet to own and carry a native 5, that would be my buy in 15v if they did it in the brown g10, I don't care for frn haha.

Took the words out of my mouth. I respect BBB very much as a knifemaker and steel connoisseur, and believe me, aside from Sal and Larrin, BBB is one of the gentlemen that has educated me a lot with regards to edge geometry, carbides, sharpening, and other esoteric knowledge on metallurgy. It would be an honor to own one of his 15v heat treated pieces.

But to be honest, the way sprint runs work especially for this steel really burnt out a lot of knife afis who just wanted to try how 15v performs. It's really not fun chasing around for the umpteenth time only to see the next dealer sell out in a few minutes or less. Plus with how this knife is being hyped on social media especially Facebook groups, you're competing with literal hordes of people who want this knife just so they can flaunt and post on Facebook and IG.

I can only imagine how much drama, anxiety and stress the Shaman and PM2 sprint drops will bring.

Before I sound like complaining, I know how the sprints and exclusives game work for many years now. And for every knife drop there will be a lot of whining and crying. It's pretty much a cycle.Just putting it out there that these 15v sprints are going to bring out the worst in people, and I won't be actively chasing these ones out. I'll probably try for the Shaman and Mule, but that's about it, unless a 15v Lil Native comes along.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I scored a 15V Manix and have been using and enjoying it. I’m still working on my sharpening skills, so the factory edge will probably see as much use as possible.
If I didn’t get it, I wasn’t too worried, because that meant the knife was successful and my biggest motivation in the purchase was to support Spyderco’s “15V project” as well as BBB.
I probably won’t get another 15V knife until BBB’s design is made. I think that’s going to be the best platform for testing and knowing it’s coming as a regular production model should take away some of that stress from those patient folks who just want to try the steel.

Curiosity doesn’t always have to be instantly quelled, although I understand the burn.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Nate

Post by Nate »

The AEB-L Mule is a great surprise for me. Hope to grab a couple and regrind one of them into a friggin laserbeam :D
:spyder:
electro-static

Post by electro-static »

nerdlock wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 3:02 pm
Geometry wrote:
I just really want to play with some 15v, since some of Shawn's videos got me hyped on high performance steels and edge geometry in the first place back in the day. His logo on the blade is so rad for Spyderco to do.

That being said, the scramble for sprint runs is hectic and stressful and usually unless something is decently available I try to forget about it. And I already have enough pm2s and one shaman, which is really too thick in the edge for me.

If they would make 15v a production steel like they did with maxamet that would be a sweet thing for us nerds.

I have yet to own and carry a native 5, that would be my buy in 15v if they did it in the brown g10, I don't care for frn haha.

Took the words out of my mouth. I respect BBB very much as a knifemaker and steel connoisseur, and believe me, aside from Sal and Larrin, BBB is one of the gentlemen that has educated me a lot with regards to edge geometry, carbides, sharpening, and other esoteric knowledge on metallurgy. It would be an honor to own one of his 15v heat treated pieces.

But to be honest, the way sprint runs work especially for this steel really burnt out a lot of knife afis who just wanted to try how 15v performs. It's really not fun chasing around for the umpteenth time only to see the next dealer sell out in a few minutes or less. Plus with how this knife is being hyped on social media especially Facebook groups, you're competing with literal hordes of people who want this knife just so they can flaunt and post on Facebook and IG.

I can only imagine how much drama, anxiety and stress the Shaman and PM2 sprint drops will bring.

Before I sound like complaining, I know how the sprints and exclusives game work for many years now. And for every knife drop there will be a lot of whining and crying. It's pretty much a cycle.Just putting it out there that these 15v sprints are going to bring out the worst in people, and I won't be actively chasing these ones out. I'll probably try for the Shaman and Mule, but that's about it, unless a 15v Lil Native comes along.
I got a manix on the first day by pure luck, but was unable to nab a second one as a backup. But looking forward to the mule though, I would like the steel in a nice fixed blade. Here’s to hoping that 15V becomes a regular production steel, and that BBB collaborates more with spyderco in the future to fine tune HTs for other steels as well. I am
super stoked just to own a piece of BBB’s handiwork.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

The Stok will be a good throw in a glove box, first aid kit, day bag small fixed blade. I am stoked at the price point for a small fixed blade with a sheath and full tang handle.

Probably throw the drop point in my work bag. Last few years it’s been just a spare Delica as I don’t like risking a junction due to being non replaceable….
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Haha, I was anticipating this reveal and yet I didn’t notice until today (Sunday).
It was a nice surprise to go along with my morning coffee, so it worked out quite nicely.
This wasn’t my reveal, but that’s fine. Lot’s of people seems happy, so they must have done something right.
I’ll probably try 15V eventually, probably just about when the BBB knife is released, but I anticipate this steel to be more than I can comfortably chew.

Surprised to see both the Enuff 2 and the LT3LW in K390 before they go salt. Not sure if the LT3LW is suited for saltification, but high stainless and high toughness seems like popular and good tradeoffs in steel properties for this type of knife. I could see something like MC or LC be popular steel choices even if it wasn’t fully salt approved.
That said, I think K390 makes it an interesting choice for me and my particular use case for this knife. I might have liked cruwear even more, but even in K390 this is now something I’ll have to give some thought and consider.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Such a disappointment! No serrated Millie2, nothing in SPY27, no LW Caly3.5…. bummer.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

elena86 wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 8:27 am
Such a disappointment! No serrated Millie2, nothing in SPY27, no LW Caly3.5…. bummer.
I’m not exactly disappointed, but all of those things would have made it better.
A Spy27 serrated Millitary wouldn’t be bad.

A bit unrelated, but I want to see some aluminum Military 2s made like those BD1N Paramilitary 2s.
Not necessarily in BD1N too, or with the same arcing texture, but I wouldn’t complain in either case.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

I’m surprised we haven’t seen a lower priced option for the venerable ParaMilitary2 now that the lowest priced regular production model has a street price of $185.50 (anywhere from $185.50 for Satin S45VN G-10 to $268.80 for Satin Maxamet G-10).
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

RamZar wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 9:22 pm
I’m surprised we haven’t seen a lower priced option for the venerable ParaMilitary2 now that the lowest priced regular production model has a street price of $185.50 (anywhere from $185.50 for Satin S45VN G-10 to $268.80 for Satin Maxamet G-10).
I personally think that the aluminum versions would have worked well for that as they were the most affordable and lightweight PM2s available, but I think there’s probably a FRN lightweight in the works.

I think aluminum is something Spyderco could make more use of generally for lighter handles without going to FRN. I like FRN most, but am open to other options.

For example, there doesn’t ever have to be an FRN lightweight Military 2. An Aluminum one made like those PM2’s would be lighter, linerless, strong, have many color/texture options, and probably be priced less than a base Paramilitary 2.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Cl1ff wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 9:35 pm
RamZar wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 9:22 pm
I personally think that the aluminum versions would have worked well for that as they were the most affordable and lightweight PM2s available, but I think there’s probably a FRN lightweight in the works.

I think aluminum is something Spyderco could make more use of generally for lighter handles without going to FRN. I like FRN most, but am open to other options.

For example, there doesn’t ever have to be an FRN lightweight Military 2. An Aluminum one made like those PM2’s would be lighter, linerless, strong, have many color/texture options, and probably be priced less than a base Paramilitary 2.

I think that as long as the ParaMilitary2 was selling so well, including 75+ different Sprint Runs & Dealer/Distributor Exclusives, having a lower cost option would’ve cut into overall sales.

However, now the street price of the base ParaMilitary2 has shot up 20% in 2 years from $154.70 in January 2021 to $185.50 in January 2023!

So, there’s now room for a ParaMilitary2 model under $150.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
anycal

Post by anycal »

That Enuff 2 is very appealing. Especially with the K390. Preorder placed. I guess this shall be my first :bug-red-white fixed blade.

I trust those scales are removable and not pinned?
Peter
Jurmuscle

Post by Jurmuscle »

electro-static wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:50 am
nerdlock wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 3:02 pm
Geometry wrote:

I got a manix on the first day by pure luck, but was unable to nab a second one as a backup. But looking forward to the mule though, I would like the steel in a nice fixed blade. Here’s to hoping that 15V becomes a regular production steel, and that BBB collaborates more with spyderco in the future to fine tune HTs for other steels as well. I am
super stoked just to own a piece of BBB’s handiwork.
How often do people really need a backup? Or is it to allow them to not pocket princess a knife and have 1 they can?
:usflag :bug-red :bug-white-red :usflag
If we spent as much time trying as we do doubting, we might have already accomplished it.

-Tom
Jurmuscle

Post by Jurmuscle »

Looks cool.
:usflag :bug-red :bug-white-red :usflag
If we spent as much time trying as we do doubting, we might have already accomplished it.

-Tom