Fat guy problem: I keep losing knives when they're clipped to my pocket

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Guts

Re: Fat guy problem: I keep losing knives when they're clipped to my pocket

Post by Guts »

Have you considered a different clip? One of the reasons I don't prefer the factory spoon clip is because as you described, it catches on things a little too well. That RGT clip mentioned above may solve the issue. I've never had an issue with the Lynch clips or similar. MXG has a lot of different styles as well.
:bug-red-white :bug-red :bug-white-red
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Lots of good advice here so feel free to ignore mine.

As a fellow large man, I have similar issues with car seats etc. I also scratched my first new car with a pocket clip because I walked to close to it forgetting that I have the knife on me.

Here was my solution: Discipline.

I simply trained myself to be conscious that I was always (and I mean always) carrying a knife. I think I've been at this for over 10 years and I've never lost a knife nor scratched another car. Every single time I stand up I give my pocket a little tap to see if my knife is still there. Sometimes if I know the seat is going to be a problem I unclip the knife and let it fall into my pocket. I put it back in place when I get up. I never put anything else in that pocket except for the knife so there is no concern about it rattling around bumping other things while it is in there.

So...I get up, I tap each of my pockets and make sure the knife and other things (wallet, phone) are all where they are supposed to be and then I carry on. Discipline.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
attila

Post by attila »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:53 am
Lots of good advice here so feel free to ignore mine.

As a fellow large man, I have similar issues with car seats etc. I also scratched my first new car with a pocket clip because I walked to close to it forgetting that I have the knife on me.

Here was my solution: Discipline.

I simply trained myself to be conscious that I was always (and I mean always) carrying a knife. I think I've been at this for over 10 years and I've never lost a knife nor scratched another car. Every single time I stand up I give my pocket a little tap to see if my knife is still there. Sometimes if I know the seat is going to be a problem I unclip the knife and let it fall into my pocket. I put it back in place when I get up. I never put anything else in that pocket except for the knife so there is no concern about it rattling around bumping other things while it is in there.

So...I get up, I tap each of my pockets and make sure the knife and other things (wallet, phone) are all where they are supposed to be and then I carry on. Discipline.
I like this a lot. Thanks for posting. I have also scratched my car with a spydie pocket clip and have had knives pulled from my pockets. It takes extra care, but it’s just a moment of taking inventory of my things.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Filoso-

Post by Filoso- »

Have you considered pocket carry? You can use a leather pocket organizer if you don't like to carry it loose in the pocket...
kennbr34

Post by kennbr34 »

Filoso- wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:05 pm
Have you considered pocket carry? You can use a leather pocket organizer if you don't like to carry it loose in the pocket...
Never heard of these pocket organizers until now I like that idea. I also searched for some on Amazon and found some horizontal sheaths that look perfect

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0BKC1Z7 ... YN9T&psc=1

Made in the USA too!
Toucan

Post by Toucan »

Back pocket works for me.

Also, maybe slash pockets instead of a traditional jeans pocket? The knife will sit more to your side rather than in front, so there is less to push it out. I can't stand slash pockets if I plan on having anything else in there, though, way too easy for non-clipped things to fall out.

Baring all of these options, the surefire bet is to get some work pants with a side utility pocket. Dickies, Red Kap, Carhartt, etc all offer pants with a pocket along the outseam, above the knee.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Done a similar method as you have shown but a carabiner or a sling clip. You could do a quick release method using plastic clips like shown below so you can use without a tether, just have the female side on a short lanyard and the other side preferably attached to a sling clip. Also consider Inside waistband on hip or at crease of thigh pointed inwards.

:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
akapennypincher

Post by akapennypincher »

Fireman wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:54 am
Done a similar method as you have shown but a carabiner or a sling clip. You could do a quick release method using plastic clips like shown below so you can use without a tether, just have the female side on a short lanyard and the other side preferably attached to a sling clip. Also consider Inside waistband on hip or at crease of thigh pointed inwards.

Like your idea.👍
Skar

Post by Skar »

carrot wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:03 am
You can carry clipped IWB right behind your hip bone, I recommend doing this with strong self-close locks like the lockback, or strong detents like CBBL and some flavors of comp lock.
I carry iwb 4-5 o clock a majorityof the time. Easy access and also hidden. See how that works for you.
cjk

Post by cjk »

kennbr34 wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:49 pm
Filoso- wrote:
Never heard of these pocket organizers until now I like that idea. I also searched for some on Amazon and found some horizontal sheaths that look perfect

Made in the USA too!
FWIW, the thing at the other end of the link is not made in the USA. It's made in the country of Georgia, not the state of Georgia. Sorry!
cjk

Post by cjk »

There's a company called Dearborn Denim which actually makes jeans in Chicago. They have a 6 pocket model with a cell phone pocket.
https://dearborndenim.us/collections/me ... rk-wash-6p
The cell phone pocket is in a different place than the rest of the pockets. Maybe that would help?
I'd consider them a much cooler alternative to cargo pants.

Edit:
The cell phone pocket is a great place for a big folder.
Last edited by cjk on Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

It never occurred to me to carry a knife in my front pocket until I joined this forum. That said, I've ripped 2 knives loose from my back pocket, so that might not be the best, either.

Lots of good advice in this thread, that I've never considered.
kennbr34

Post by kennbr34 »

cjk wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:11 pm
kennbr34 wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:49 pm
Filoso- wrote:

Made in the USA too!
FWIW, the thing at the other end of the link is not made in the USA. It's made in the country of Georgia, not the state of Georgia. Sorry!
Lmao I thought it was strange they put the state it was made in. That makes sense
SchoonerBum

Post by SchoonerBum »

On the subject of pocket carry, I learned years ago to carry a pocketknife (SAK at the time) loose in my pocket with a fairly stiff braided lanyard about twice the length of the knife with an eye spliced in the end. That way no matter how the knife fell in the pocket the end of the lanyard was easy to grab.

My boss (this was my first boat job) insisted that we carry our knives that way so we weren't fishing around in the pocket if we needed it quickly, and it worked pretty well.

YMMV but it might be worth experimenting with.
RevMike

Post by RevMike »

I use a belt pouch at work and I literally just posted about it in another thread so a quick copy and paste. You can ignore the boat related parts... they made more sense in the other thread.

I'm spend about half my time below deck in engine and machinery spaces so the pouch has my two most important items. The SE Atlantic Salt and a MagLight XL50. Both are always at my belt on the left hand side. I usually also have a second knife and a second flashlight of some sort but those 2 items are always on me.

The pouch is a cheap leather thing from Amazon. I think they're around $15. The belt loops stretch out in a damp marine environment and I think I usually replace them about every six months. They certainly last longer than that but once the loops stretch they slide around a bit. Doesn't look the most secure but I've been using them about 5 years now and never lost either item.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07SKVCJ ... p13NParams

404 :bug-red-white s in 81 steel flavors.