Hello again and Shoutout to the Stretch XL SE

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Hello again and Shoutout to the Stretch XL SE

Post by Wartstein »

(It´s been almost five month since I was on this forum the last time, but I really start to miss sharing the passion for Spydercos products, the nerdy-in-depth discussions ;), the respectful and constructive atmosphere of this place and how Sal, Kristie and Mike create and keep an eye on just that.
And I start to miss all of you folks too. :smirk

Last but not least I want to thank all the people who sent me pms or mails asking where I´ve been and how I am doing - really appreciate that and will reply to each of you individually of course!)

/ If one would ask me "What was the most significant (and probably to be expected) Spyderco-related thing for you in the five month you've been away?":

Well, I´d reply it has to be how indispensable the Stretch 2 XL SE has become for me - just my perfect by-default-EDC knife and for me one of the best knife designs ever, not "just" by Sal, but overall (and as always :THANKS, Dan, "The Giant" for so generously gifting this gem to me! My dedicated thread on this is more than overdue (I had one almost ready, but then lost all the pics I made for it :perservering )

I don´t read or see too much about this (FRN, LW) model, so let me just give it a quick shoutout and encourage all of you to think about getting one!
As usual I tested and used this model extensively, some points / pros coming from this experience and might help:

- It´s amazingly light, but I never found it TOO light, or the handle having too much flex. Actually no noticeable flex in regular and even harder use, though of course one could deliberately provoke more flex in this handle than in a (linered) Endura for example

- The SE pattern is perfect in my book. Very shallow and "non aggressive", probably even better than on my Endela SE (and that´s saying something).
And as I always say: People who are not too crazy about VG10 or its edge retention: Try this steel in SE! While VG10 is probably "just decent" in PE, it is actually great in SE in my experience.

- The tip is extremely useful, but yes, also very fine (especially in SE). Differently to how I do with my Enduras, I tend to be a bit careful with the Stretch SE tip.

- Ergos.... well, it is a Stretch, right? ;) So the ergos are amazing imo, especially choked up on the choil. Gripped behind the choil I find it perfect WHEN using the thumb ramp. In a hammer grip the front part of the handle is maybe a tad too narrow, but still very good.

- All in all this knife does even better what people always say about the Millie: It might seem a bit large at first glance, but carry it for a short period of time and it becomes just the perfect and not too big size (for me anyway, this is "regular size" in my classification).

(Old pic)

Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
jwbnyc

Re: Hello again and Shoutout to the Stretch XL SE

Post by jwbnyc »

Welcome back.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Welcome back, Gernot!

I’m glad you found a Stretch 2 XL, in SE no less.

I’m waiting for a Cruwear model.

It’s good to have you back!
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:22 am
Well, I´d reply it has to be how indispensable the Stretch 2 XL SE has become for me

Welcome back. Glad you're still on the green side of the grass.
While you were away, I bagged my first SE out of curiosity. I'll admit, it's WAY good at doing big jobs, you know, hacking through stuff like a chainsaw. Most of my cutting chores are a little more precise, so I carry a PE more frequently. But if I'm planning to spend the day in the yard, the garage, or working on big stuff, I'll stick the SE in my pocket.

Hope you have time to stick around.
Rob
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Welcome back!
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Gernot! You have been missed, and those beautiful scenery picks, of course. :winking-tongue Welcome back!
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

Pretty good write-up on the Stretch XL. Welcome back!
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Definitely design of the year for 2022. At least in production.

Welcome back Gernot!
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Welcome back, Gernot!
I was certainly interested to read your thoughts on the Stretch XL.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

ImageSo happy to hear from you again , yes I missed my friend ! Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Good to see you around!
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

welcome back, wartstein. looking forward to some more mountain pictures again. i'd like to own the stretch xl as soon as it is a salt.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Welcome back Gernot!! We were worried about you!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Well, at last. We can’t have too many enthusiasts. Glad you’re back.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

As I mentioned in the S2XL Cruwear thread (which you may not be up to speed on), this design has a pull on me that makes no sense considering the size and where my preferences normally lay. So much so, that I might even get the European-repellently priced Cruwear. Trying to hold off on the LW until it comes in a salt flavor. Interesting review, Gernot. I was quite determined to go PE, but seeing how you like the serrations I'm having second thoughts. Well, well. Details, schmitails, having you back in good shape is my main takeaway from this post. Nice to have you back, my friend!
cjk

Post by cjk »

I'm glad you're back!
Ngati Pom

Post by Ngati Pom »

Nice to see you back.
'The future is already here;it's just not evenly distributed'
William Gibson
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

aicolainen wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:13 pm
As I mentioned in the S2XL Cruwear thread (which you may not be up to speed on), this design has a pull on me that makes no sense considering the size and where my preferences normally lay. So much so, that I might even get the European-repellently priced Cruwear. Trying to hold off on the LW until it comes in a salt flavor. Interesting review, Gernot. I was quite determined to go PE, but seeing how you like the serrations I'm having second thoughts. Well, well. Details, schmitails, having you back in good shape is my main takeaway from this post. Nice to have you back, my friend!
Aicolainen I'm having the same problem with this and the Native Chief. With my medium/small Hobbit hands and my uses, something this big would be seldom used and carried just like my Police 4. Heck I've thought about gifting my Endura for the same reason. But the elegance of the lines and the design....

And Gernot, so good to have you back. You're name has been evoked every time someone talks about the Chaparral and wondering if it's stout enough for harder use. I kept waiting.... and waiting.... now I'll wait no more!
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

Welcome back. I always enjoy your posts and your photos with epic scenery.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Welcome back, man! Good to see you back. :smlling-eyes
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal