UKPK Salt now in Magnacut!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
skeeg11

Re: UKPK Salt now in Magnacut!

Post by skeeg11 »

elena86 wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:50 am
skeeg11 wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 4:37 am
Dazen wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 3:11 am
I really wish this came in drop point. I’m having a hard time picking up a second yellow leaf UKPK Salt.
100% agree. My serrated LC200N UKPK leaf point is certainly one of the handiest knives on the beach, but when it comes to PE, my preference would definitely be the drop point blade UKPK. Either way, a MagnaCut PE UKPK is the only knife on my must buy list so far in 2023.
Why ? Just curious …
Sorry for the late reply. Just personal preference according to what I do with serrated blades vs. plain edge. As a salt water fisherman, I slice or rip through a lot of gills and flesh. (bellies & whatnot) For these purposes I actually prefer SE Wharnies or Hawkbills, but the gentle sweep of the UKPK leaf blade is fine. For finer cuts and work I prefer PE and find some sweep to the tip to be a more flexible general purpose design covering a broader range of applications. Just my preferences. Others may differ.
Last edited by skeeg11 on Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Cl1ff wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 4:53 pm
RamZar wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:38 pm
Out of the 4 UKPK Salt models only the LC200N PlainEdge has been released by Spyderco.

I bought a yellow serrated LC200N before the new year from a dealer. I guess you mean that the green LC200N plain edge is the only UKPK version released at this time of the announced switch to MagnaCut in the yellow ones? It’s a little confusing, sorry.

You’re right on both counts!
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
James Y

Post by James Y »

If I ever buy another knife again someday, it may end up being a PE leaf-bladed UKPK Salt in Magnacut. I really love my SE LC200N one that I've had since 2021.

I'm in no hurry, though.

Jim
olywa

Post by olywa »

Interesting that the LC200N is a wee bit smaller and a bit heavier than the Magnacut.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The blade and cutting edge on the MC are slightly longer. The LC is slightly heavier. I wonder if those are just typos or reflect changes in the design?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Hmmm good question Dan. If the N5 Salt needed some changes due to galvanic corrosion, maybe they also changed hardware on the UKPK which pushed the weight up a skosh.
Senfkarte

Post by Senfkarte »

I really like mine LC200N SE. Definitely will get the Magnacut PE. Already was thinking about the LC200N PE, just to have both edges in a fantastic knife.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Have no knives on my shortlist for 2023. Don’t much have the mindset for more material given today’s environment of most everything going up in price considerably along with more tax and additional fees. Planning to focus on essentials but somehow this jewel may change that. ☺️

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Matus

Post by Matus »

The question is - when is it coming out? Native 5 took quite a while ...
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I think Sal said the galvanic corrosion issue or material compatibility issue has been solved, so we should start to see the MC Salts appearing soon-ish.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
vilePossum

Post by vilePossum »

I want one now... or two. Heck I would even sell a CRK to get the funds if I was short on cash when it releases...
James Y

Post by James Y »

I'd really like to have one someday, but I'm patient. Very patient. IF I ever do get one, it would be well after it's been released, and most or all of the mad dash for it has died down. That would also give some time for any potential bugs to be worked out, if any are discovered during the MC version's first run, and for any possible/probable CQI's to be implemented.

Jim
jegred2

Post by jegred2 »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 5:46 am
i don't have a ukpk yet and have been considering picking one up for a while. this might just push me over the edge. i'm definitely more looking forward to the magnacut manix, but this will be great for traveling to more restrictive areas.
I got one so I can carry a knife in Germany. It is really comfortable in my XXL hands, my favorite small knife by far even though it’s a slip joint.
Tgmr05

Post by Tgmr05 »

This is one I am looking forward to. PE UKPK in magnacut
Matthewhelmuth

Post by Matthewhelmuth »

Wait so what's the conclusion? When's this thing hitting the shelves? I'm looking forward to this one.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Matus wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:17 am
The question is - when is it coming out? Native 5 took quite a while ...

I would think at this point knives will start to trickle out in MagnaCut as capacity allows it, or I guess as they plan to make them. I would think this knife is just around the corner since it revealed with the Native.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
cpurveur785

Post by cpurveur785 »

So we’re now into March ‘23 and no sign. I messaged Spyderco UK on Facebook and they didn’t even know about it until I told them. Does anyone else have any info? I was hoping to get one for my birthday (just gone) but to no avail 🥲
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear cpurveur785:

Welcome the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
vilePossum

Post by vilePossum »

Still waiting for this as well... While there are fancier and more desirable knives coming out or already released, this is the one I am waiting for.
Superfool

Post by Superfool »

vilePossum wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:18 pm
Still waiting for this as well... While there are fancier and more desirable knives coming out or already released, this is the one I am waiting for.
Same. Although I worry these will never make it across the pond.
David
Always outnumbered; never outgunned.

Proud member of Sal's Troublemaker Class since July 2020