SPK Lamia colab

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Vaugith

SPK Lamia colab

Post by Vaugith »

Spyderco and SPK - a dream matchup? Alex has expressed interest in trying to get his knives out to more hands, and this would be an awesome way to do it. He mentioned today that he'd be interested in making this happen! Who does a maker typically reach out to in order to start discussion? And how many folks here would be interested in seeing this happen?
SPK_ULTD

Re: SPK Lamia colab

Post by SPK_ULTD »

IMG_3339.JPG
The Said Knife in Question.
Stay Hydrated...
PhillStill

Post by PhillStill »

Heck Yeah!!!!! Would be awesome!!!!
bladee

Post by bladee »

100% for it. Still gonna do my best to land a current model lamia but will definitely purchase a production version, or 3.
Jurmuscle

Post by Jurmuscle »

Alot of people will scold you for suggesting Spyderco make a new knife when they are working on so many. But in separate posts the same people will give their suggestions with entitlement. I would recommend he email Sal or Eric. Sal is who I emailed with an idea and he said they pretty much have to go to them to be heard.

-Good luck.
:usflag :bug-red :bug-white-red :usflag
If we spent as much time trying as we do doubting, we might have already accomplished it.

-Tom
AudiOphile

Post by AudiOphile »

Spyderco pulled me back into the knife world after an initial foray with Benchmade. Since diving back in, I can say I am fully invested in Spyderco as a flagship brand. I find Spyderco's ability to listen and address the market demand, while delivering well developed and tested product puts them above the rest of the playing field; the unique steels, partnerships, constant quality updates speak for themselves.

To that end, Alex Steingraber's Lamia is the first small (one man, mid-tech?) manufacturer knife I have bought, and it was in no small part due to the knife attributes I desire which are so heavily informed by Spyderco philosophy. An SPK design Spyderco production would be a net positive on the market, and folding that in with the Shawn Houston heat treat and design developments, Spyderco would certainly maintain a pulse on the leading edge of knife innovation.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear AudiOphile, bladee, and SPK_ULTD:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
SPK_ULTD

Post by SPK_ULTD »

Thank you Mike! I appreciate it. You as well!
Stay Hydrated...
Dr_No

Post by Dr_No »

I created an account to voice enthusiasm for this! A Spyderco production Lamia would be an incredible addition to the Spyderco lineup! Would fit in perfectly with many of the knives produced already in Taichung, alongside the Slysz designs. I have an original Lamia and it’s an incredible knife, and a production version would draw me back in to buying my first Spyderco again since the Spydiechef.

A stainless model in Magnacut or LC200n run would be incredible, alongside a tool steel model in Cruwear would be sweet!

Spyderco please make it happen!
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Alex,

I guess that's you (SPK). What is the model name of the model shown? Where are you located?

Would you be interested in making a sample for us? We would need the basic model, but with a 12mm diam. round opening hole 1.1" from the pivot (center to center).

I don't think you could get one to us before the SHOT show, where we show "Concept Models" for feedback. But you might be able to get one to us before the Amsterdam meet, where we also show and discuss "Concept Models" with a group of "Knife afi's (aficianados).

sal
SPK_ULTD

Post by SPK_ULTD »

sal wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 4:19 pm
Hi Alex,

I guess that's you (SPK). What is the model name of the model shown? Where are you located?

Would you be interested in making a sample for us? We would need the basic model, but with a 12mm diam. round opening hole 1.1" from the pivot (center to center).

I don't think you could get one to us before the SHOT show, where we show "Concept Models" for feedback. But you might be able to get one to us before the Amsterdam meet, where we also show and discuss "Concept Models" with a group of "Knife afi's (aficianados).

sal

Yup! That’s me Sal! I’m a fellow NY’er. Rochester, NY specifically. The model name is Lamia, ancient Greek mythological Demond. I can totally make you sample. I’ll update the CAD this weekend and have something ready by next week. Just need mailing info and I should be good to go. I appreciate your response!
Stay Hydrated...
MaxFactor

Post by MaxFactor »

A collaboration between Spyderco and Steingraber Performance Knives (SPK) seems like a perfect match. Many makers these days produce scores of different models without refining or perfecting a single one. Alex seems to not only seek perfection but actively pursues different steels and processes to refine his knives. That seems perfectly in line with the CQI concept as well as Spyderco's willingness to experiment with different steels.

I hope this collaboration happens because it would be a perfect match.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Alex,

I'm at:

Spyderco
Attn: Sal Glesser
820 Spyderco Way
Golden, Colorado 80401
USA

sal
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

I like the little shark fixed blades a lot, but Alex has been busy with this folder. Will the features that make the Lamia special translate into the production side?
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

it's crazy to see something like this take place in a day. very cool.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

SPK_ULTD wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:56 pm
IMG_3339.JPG

The Said Knife in Question.
That’s a very aesthetically appealing knife. I’d be interested in such a knife if the steel chosen reflects the overall upscale design.
MaxFactor

Post by MaxFactor »

GarageBoy wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:28 pm
Will the features that make the Lamia special translate into the production side?
Genuinely curious, what do you consider those features to be,
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

MaxFactor wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 6:01 pm
GarageBoy wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:28 pm
Will the features that make the Lamia special translate into the production side?
Genuinely curious, what do you consider those features to be,
Add me as another curious to know.

I looked around the website for SPK. The Lamia is a great looking knife but I’m digging the textured handles and vibrant colors, though I couldn’t find an assembled knife picture with bright handles.

JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Very interesting design. Looks like a match made in heaven.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Dr_No

Post by Dr_No »

[Heres a pic of my favorite Spyderco and the Lamia][/https://imgur.com/a/vK9poiB], for anyone interested in a size comparison