Options for a plain, simple, boring, old timer like me.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
AverageKCGuy

Options for a plain, simple, boring, old timer like me.

Post by AverageKCGuy »

I'll start off by saying I am not a collector, I do not have the resources to randomly buy a new steel to see how I like it. I don't follow sprint runs. I am boring, I only like black handled knives. And I am stubborn, I like back locks only. There is no way I could accidentally grip, contort, squeeze or otherwise engage the lock release with a back lock that I have found in the 30+ years I've been carrying them. I also know what I like, full SE. And maybe you could call me old school, I never worried about a knife rusting in my pocket growing up in the Midwest where humidity is an issue. I never worried about rust using a knife in the rain or out fishing. Wharncliffe, nah. Hawkbill, no thanks. Rescue, I like pointy things.

A while back I bought my sons their first Spyderco knives, PE VG10 Delicas. My oldest son works in lawn care and I'm confident he wasn't abusing his knife, just normal tasks you would think of doing his job. The PE VG10 didn't hold up well. So that set me off on a journey to find something that might hold up better for him. I settled on a Native 5 in Magnacut after consulting with him. He was a fan of the yellow handle even though I wasn't. Six months later I'm still waiting on my KC pre-order...

Going through that got me thinking though, maybe it's time I look for a new knife for myself. I carried a G-2 full SE Delica FOREVER. I'm talking from the 90's to 6-8 months ago, never sharpened. Dull, but the teeth always got the job done.

So let's see what Spyderco is making. Sort various sites by back lock, let's look for Cruwear. Ayoob comes in serrated, not my jam. PM2 comes in Cruwear, not a serrated option, dang. Stretch 2 XL, little big for my taste. Doesn't come in serrated anyway. Ok, let's look at S90V and S110V. Native 5 could work, nope, not serrated, blue handle. Let's move down to S30V. Lil' Native, Lil' small for me. Native 5, out of stock. H1 to me doesn't look great on paper but I've read good things about SE. Salt 2 looks like my only option.

I know pretty scales sells knives. I know being able to customize sells knives. I understand modifying a design for a different type of lock costs money. But is there any chance Spyderco will go back to basics with some of the newer steels? Will I be able to get a serrated edge back lock with a "higher" end steel that isn't purple/yellow/green/zebra stripe/polka dot?
skeeg11

Re: Options for a plain, simple, boring, old timer like me.

Post by skeeg11 »

If serrated G-2 got the job done for ya', then perhaps serrated 8Cr13MoV isn't that far off the mark IMHO. Perhaps that will broaden your horizons or choices. You said you don't cotton to wharnies, but the serrated Byrd Harrier 2 back lock is actually quite pointy. Comes in boring basic black. :winking-tongue
Last edited by skeeg11 on Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Maybe you might like the serrated edge Endela in K390? The handle is a dark blue and not black though. If you’re really feeling ambitious you could buy a black VG10 Endela and a blue K390 Endela then do a scale swap between the two. Leaving you with a Black K390 Endela to use and a blue VG10 Endela to sell, gift, or also use.
Last edited by Mushroom on Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Nick :bug-red
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

In your shoes, I’d get a K390 Delica SE and RIT dye it black.
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

Buy the vg-10 SE endela and be done with it. It's versatile, easy to sharpen, holds a decent edge, and the scales are black.
Justin
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

I'm not in your shoes so please take anything I have to say with a grain of salt, but I have yet to see where serrated K390 has a proven track history of excellence. Great wear resistance and I like it a lot in PE. Just don't know if it has enough toughness for the long haul in serrated form.
Last edited by skeeg11 on Wed Dec 28, 2022 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

SE Endela in VG-10 plus a 204 Sharpmaker. Watch the video and learn to maintain the new knife. It’s a great knife in a great steel for a very fair price.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

if you're fine with g2, maybe just stick with vg10 and get a se leafjumper. or save some
money and get a sharpmaker and restore your old delica.

you'll get more recommendations in a thread like this than you'll ever want to try. at the end of the day, just do what you're most comfortable with.

looks like bill beat me to it.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Standard se delica, endela, endura, or native.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I think I would be patient and get the Native 5 MagnaCut in full SE. They can't be too far off at this point. I have a feeling MagnaCut is going to turn the SE world upside down. If you've made it all these years without even sharpening, steel choice may not really matter that much and maybe also add a Sharpmaker to your list. The only downside is the yellow handle but if that really bothers you there are a couple ways to change it ranging from $6 to hundreds.

Oh and I bet you'd really like the upcoming Leaf Jumper. It'll be a bit larger than your Delica but has excellent ergonomics.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Native5 Back Lock S30V Fully Serrated Black FRN for $120.

• I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
benben

Post by benben »

540D62F5-3318-438F-B403-A827A75C07BA.jpeg
Fully serrated Native LW is a very cool little knife!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Knifeworks.com has the full serrated, partial serrated, and plain edge black Native 5 in stock. They also have the black full serrated, partial serrated, and plain edge Delica in stock.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

You guys are actually recommending S30V and K390 to a guy who stated "I'm talking from the 90's to 6-8 months ago, never sharpened. Dull, but the teeth always got the job done."?
The best course was mentioned earlier, get a Sharpmaker and sharpen the G-2 Delica. Get another 20 years of use out of it, easily. There is no need for high vanadium steel for a user who has used G-2 for decades without complaint.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:05 am
Knifeworks.com has the full serrated, partial serrated, and plain edge black Native 5 in stock. They also have the black full serrated, partial serrated, and plain edge Delica in stock.
Dan, I think you hit the nail on the head here. Great suggestion.

OP, you might also try an Endela or a Stretch if you can find one in Spyderedge.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

JRinFL wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:12 am
You guys are actually recommending S30V and K390 to a guy who stated "I'm talking from the 90's to 6-8 months ago, never sharpened. Dull, but the teeth always got the job done."?
The best course was mentioned earlier, get a Sharpmaker and sharpen the G-2 Delica. Get another 20 years of use out of it, easily. There is no need for high vanadium steel for a user who has used G-2 for decades without complaint.
He specifically asked for a “newer” and “higher end steel” though. S30V and K390 are perfectly valid suggestions for what he is asking for.
-Nick :bug-red
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Mushroom wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:25 am
JRinFL wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:12 am
He specifically asked for a “newer” and “higher end steel” though. S30V and K390 are perfectly valid suggestions for what he is asking for.
Compared to G-2, VG-10 is a high end steel. BDN1 might even be compared to G-2. But, yeah it seems you are correct. With a black handle, only VG-10 & S30v come to mind.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Coastal wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:58 pm
In your shoes, I’d get a K390 Delica SE and RIT dye it black.

That sounds like a reasonable suggestion.

I was thinking of the Endura K390 SE, but it's only a bit smaller than the Stretch 2 XL, which the OP considered too large. The Delica is more in his size sweet spot, and K390 knocks it out of the park.

benben

Post by benben »

Plain Jane Black FRN and fully serrated VG-10 sounds like the ticket to me. Next question is choil or no choil but since he's already plenty used to a Delica....I swear I think I'd order a fully serrated VG-10 LeafJumper and call it a day!
James Y

Post by James Y »

OP:

When you say the PE VG-10 Delica didn't hold up, in what way? Was it the saber grind or full flat grind version? Did the blade break, or become dull? If the edge dulled, then that's easily remedied with the Sharpmaker, which is easy to use regardless of sharpening skill level.

Jim