Price increases 2023?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Erich

Re: Price increases 2023?

Post by Erich »

akapennypincher wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:26 pm
People cry blues when company increases prices. A knife is item, you want. but in most case you do not need if you already have knife.

Do you cry blue at grocery store went milk went from $1.15/Half-gallon to over $2.00. Gas went from $2.00 to $5.00/gallon. Again why no boo boo.
Indeed, we don't need them. Plenty of people decided the same in 2022 and didn't buy anything. Then retailers were left holding the bag and had to slash prices by getting out from under the MAP to move anything, and buyers won by getting big discounts. I loaded up with 50% off MRSP, and I won't load up again until the next MAP holiday.

Supply and demand cuts both ways. It's like home owners who want to say "supply and demand" when the market favors them...but when it doesn't? Then they become entitled. Same thing here with the fanboys/apologists.
phaust

Post by phaust »

akapennypincher wrote:
People cry blues when company increases prices. A knife is item, you want. but in most case you do not need if you already have knife.

Do you cry blue at grocery store went milk went from $1.15/Half-gallon to over $2.00. Gas went from $2.00 to $5.00/gallon. Again why no boo boo.
Everyone talks about that as well. Tons of articles out there on grocery prices and how hard people are living because of not just inflation bumping prices but grocery stores taking it as an opportunity to increase profit.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

akapennypincher wrote:

Actually those are huge boo boos, but serious discussion would be horrendously political and verboten.
fanglekai

Post by fanglekai »

I have plenty of knives already. I bought 5 or so Spydercos when the "MAP holiday" was in effect because the prices looked good. Unless one really catches my eye, I'll be holding off.
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

I like spyderco as a company and spydercos as pocket knives. I have a lot of them.

But I’m finding the value to not be equivalent to pricing lately. If prices continue to rise I’m likely out as a buyer barring any exceptionally interesting new collaborations.

Lately I’ve been buying many more knives from other companies. Spyderco prices are creeping I to a higher tier of knife. Another price increase or two and the value that spyderco represented will fade. It’s just not worth it to me to spend higher tier knife money on what spyderco offers.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

JSumm wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 1:43 pm
Ya'll ghosts of forum past need to start some fresh threads re-reviewing and talking old models you like and why. I think it is worth while seeing some old models brought up for discussion. Some of us that may be relatively new to Spyderco enjoy seeing those past models around here from time to time. Some we may never have known about if it wasn't for a member showing them off in all their glory.
I like all the pictures of old/new knives. Might get me interested in something that I do not have yet!
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

All Spydercos took around 100€ increase on Knives&tools !
https://www.knivesandtools.fr/fr/ct/cou ... price-desc

I'll never buy again if it's a real representation of what's to come :sad-but-relieved
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
akapennypincher

Post by akapennypincher »

Was talking with one of people who is Manufacturer representative got Big Three Auto Maker.

He is predicting high repos in industry because as use of people who bought too high when car n truck were scared.

He d sad rated used auto prices falling, as inventory increases, and new car lot have inventory.
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

Ramonade wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 7:48 am
All Spydercos took around 100€ increase on Knives&tools !
https://www.knivesandtools.fr/fr/ct/cou ... price-desc

I'll never buy again if it's a real representation of what's to come :sad-but-relieved
Just found out myself. Increases are between 60 to a 100 euro per model.
I am definitely going to put a stop on buying new Spydies from now on.
20/30 euro i could live with but this increase is not realistic anymore. My favorite models are all became 300€ Knives over night. What is next year 400€ ?
Sal does what he wants with his company and i wish him the best of luck and he is going to need it because you do not need to be blind to see the dark clouds on the horizon.
With the prices that high and only an frn , frcp future ahead i only Spydies there price to quality ratio as the next hindenburg disaster in the making.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

apollo wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:02 am
I am definitely going to put a stop on buying new Spydies from now on.
20/30 euro i could live with but this increase is not realistic anymore. My favorite models are all became 300€ Knives over night. What is next year 400€ ?
Sal does what he wants with his company and i wish him the best of luck and he is going to need it because you do not need to be blind to see the dark clouds on the horizon.
With the prices that high and only an frn , frcp future ahead i only Spydies there price to quality ratio as the next hindenburg disaster in the making.
Since we don't really know about the next price increase percentages yet on the forum, I doubt every dealer knows already. Knives&Tools is the only website showing this and so far it seems to concern only Spyderco. Maybe their Christmas party was crazy good and someone fell asleep on the PC that had the Excel sheet for Spyderco prices open ? :rofl :rofl
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

Ramonade wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:06 am
apollo wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:02 am
Since we don't really know about the next price increase percentages yet on the forum, I doubt every dealer knows already. Knives&Tools is the only website showing this and so far it seems to concern only Spyderco. Maybe their Christmas party was crazy good and someone fell asleep on the PC that had the Excel sheet for Spyderco prices open ? :rofl :rofl
I doubt it i have seen this before in the past so i fear this is genuine.
But if K&t increase there prices with that much i do not dare to look at the other dealers anymore because those are always more expensive then them. Anybody wants a mindblowing 167 euro bd1n Manix 2 lw out there? :squinting-tongue
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Oh no!!! It's the yearly Annual Price Increase thread. :scream

I read few pages back where someone said raising prices on Jan 1 somehow seems dishonest. That's freakin' LAUGHABLE!!!! Especially considering we're referring to Spyderco

I also think it's hilarious that you're complaining about a price increase on something that, for most of us, has become a pleasure item and not really a necessity. If you can't afford to buy that new sprint run knife because of the 2023 price increase then you probably shouldn't be buying it in the first place

Get a grip people!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

It's simple economics folks... cost of production goes up (supplies, raw materials, transport, labor, etc.), especially with very high levels of inflation, and that cost ultimately gets passed to the consumer otherwise there is no viable business. It's happening with everything and people should expect this with manufactured items like knives.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 11:10 am
Oh no!!! It's the yearly Annual Price Increase thread. :scream

I read few pages back where someone said raising prices on Jan 1 somehow seems dishonest. That's freakin' LAUGHABLE!!!! Especially considering we're referring to Spyderco

I also think it's hilarious that you're complaining about a price increase on something that, for most of us, has become a pleasure item and not really a necessity. If you can't afford to buy that new sprint run knife because of the 2023 price increase then you probably shouldn't be buying it in the first place

Get a grip people!
Yep! Always one of the WORST yearly threads that pops up. Never fails.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
rgc

Post by rgc »

But then I will have to return to complaining about "X" model needing the handle to me 5/8th an inch longer and the blade being a snot bit thicker at the tip and not coming in this particular wonder steel to be perfect. Ok, I guess.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 11:10 am
that was me. i believe i stated my reasoning when i made the statement, AND i caveat that statement with the fact that i'm a fan and repeat customer. i also agree that a few more dollars shouldn't keep you from a knife if you can afford to buy the knife in the first place, but over time it can change the value of the knife, and we're not talking about a one-time increase, but a constant annual increase that also seems to be growing (much faster than even our extraordinary inflation). i said also that i've purchased more this year than any other, even though i complained about this last year as well, and despite thinking it's kind of a shady practice, thereby admitting that even though i think it's a problem, it's clearly not so bad that it's stopped me. but go ahead and take my comment out of all of that context to gaslight everyone for questioning spyderco.

it is possible to really like spyderco products and spyderco as a company and still question something they do. this is exactly the kind of thing that makes me feel like this place gets a little cult-like sometimes. but i guess i'll just shut up now before i get lectured again for whispering that tidbit into the echo chamber.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Curious to see how much street prices will go up in 2023.

I've sampled one knife per country of origin with the current MSRP & Street Price below:

• ParaMilitary2 CruCarta (USA) MSRP: $269.50 Street Price: $188.65
  • Endura4 (Japan) MSRP: $136.50 Street Price: $95.55
  • SpydieChef (Taiwan) MSRP: $384.50 Street Price: $269.15
  • SpyOpera (Italy) MSRP: $262.50 Street Price: $183.75
  • Resilience S35VN (China) MSRP: $168.00 Street Price: $117.60
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Soanso McMasters

Post by Soanso McMasters »

captnvegtble wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 11:17 am
It's simple economics folks... cost of production goes up (supplies, raw materials, transport, labor, etc.), especially with very high levels of inflation, and that cost ultimately gets passed to the consumer otherwise there is no viable business. It's happening with everything and people should expect this with manufactured items like knives.
Nothing about economics is simple. Really and truly, regardless of the cost of inputs, sometimes the manufacturers, retailers, or both, have to eat the extra cost if they want to move product. The price of numerous firearms went down substantially, both via retail price, and via rebates by the manufacturers after several major buying sprees. Same thing with ammunition. Car companies had to offer zero percent financing, rebates, and 72 month terms at one point.

An item’s retail price doesn’t always equal a nice and neat equation. You can have inflation and have to cut prices to move overstock all at the same time.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

ladybug93 wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 11:34 am
it is possible to really like spyderco products and spyderco as a company and still question something they do.

Yes, of course it is. But it's good that we be reminded of this occasionally. Spyderco is not going to wilt due to a spirited forum discussion.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Soanso McMasters wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:02 pm
captnvegtble wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 11:17 am
Nothing about economics is simple. Really and truly, regardless of the cost of inputs, sometimes the manufacturers, retailers, or both, have to eat the extra cost if they want to move product. The price of numerous firearms went down substantially, both via retail price, and via rebates by the manufacturers after several major buying sprees. Same thing with ammunition. Car companies had to offer zero percent financing, rebates, and 72 month terms at one point.

An item’s retail price doesn’t always equal a nice and neat equation. You can have inflation and have to cut prices to move overstock all at the same time.

“Basic Economics 101. It’s the most complicated simple subject there is.” ~ R.L.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet