Chaparral Lightweight - Unexploited Gem

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jason997

Chaparral Lightweight - Unexploited Gem

Post by Jason997 »

I'm sure I'm not the first person to come up with this, but why is this not being sold on Amazon in 4 or 5 different (muted) colors? Add sprint runs etc.here and there for more options. It the ideal knife for many people, yet it gets no attention or marketing these days. Well earned money to be made for the company, the excellent Taiwanese shop that makes them, and happy consumers.
Bemo

Re: Chaparral Lightweight - Unexploited Gem

Post by Bemo »

I was thinking about this knife the other day and how some rejuvenation of it would be great. Would love to see some different steels and colors.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

I think it's been somewhat "exploited" to date, and I think "no attention" is overstated. You can obtain the knife in a wide variety of up-market handle styles. It is a very popular model and has good buzz here on the forum.

Being it's in the gent's-knife corner I'd like to see it with an upscale stainless steel. Since it's the knife that's always on me, I cut a fair amount of citrus with mine. A carefree steel would be nice and would cause me to purchase another. This is a model for which I think S110V is well suited.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Sharp24/7

Post by Sharp24/7 »

Bolster wrote:
Sat Dec 24, 2022 11:14 am
I think it's been somewhat "exploited" to date, and I think "no attention" is overstated. You can obtain the knife in a wide variety of up-market handle styles. It is a very popular model and has good buzz here on the forum.

Being it's in the gent's-knife corner I'd like to see it with an upscale stainless steel. Since it's the knife that's always on me, I cut a fair amount of citrus with mine. A carefree steel would be nice and would cause me to purchase another. This is a model for which I think S110V is well suited.

I really enjoy XHP. That said, I think Magnacut could perfect, especially since the HT was optimized for edge stability.
rgc

Post by rgc »

I too really like XHP, a lot, but maybe they are over shadowed by the outstanding Sage line?

If it was not for a Sage in Maxamet having my attention I would probably go with the XHP Chaparral over S30v Sage just because of the steel.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Chap LW variants (colors, steels, etc) have been discussed many times. I can't tell you why it hasn't happened yet but I imagine we'll see some variations at some point.

Personally, I like XHP and wouldn't be interested in a Chap with something like S110V. S30V's great too but I think a Chap model should have XHP
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I only have Sun and Moon , but a lightweight is on my short list sometime next year . A different steel would be nice to see but not a game changer. Gray is fine but different colors would be interesting . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Bolster wrote:

“Upscale” stainless steel ??? What’s wrong with XHP ? You people are too spoiled ! I wouldn’t trade XHP for S110V unless I am looking for trouble !
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Bolster wrote:

I think this is a great idea.

I'm really interested in s110v right now, though. M398 would be equally interesting to me.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

elena86 wrote:
Sat Dec 24, 2022 2:22 pm
“Upscale” stainless steel ??? What’s wrong with XHP ? You people are too spoiled ! I wouldn’t trade XHP for S110V unless I am looking for trouble !

"Wrong?" Those are your words not mine. While a fine steel, XHP is a not-very-stainless steel. For a knife that sees a lot of food use (as my Chap does) I would by another in a high stainless steel.

What kind of "trouble" are you talking about? And what's with the name-calling? Is stainless steel something only "spoiled" people buy?

Furthermore, who said "trade"? I said I would buy another in a high stainless steel.
Last edited by Bolster on Sat Dec 24, 2022 2:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I would have no problem with S110V . Dan
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Jason997

Post by Jason997 »

Bolster wrote:

I was referring specifically to the "lightweight" frn model.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

The real answer is the chap should have s90v.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

prndltech wrote:
Sat Dec 24, 2022 3:18 pm
Aha ! My favorite mind reader !
Henry David Thoreau
cjk

Post by cjk »

XHP is great. Personally, I see no real reason to change it.
vandelay

Post by vandelay »

The chap is a nice knife. The only thing I would complain about is that the pocket clip doesn't have great retention (not sure if that's a quirk with the wood scales). XHP seems to perform pretty well, but it could be interesting seeing it in other steels. 15V would be nice on the wood scale model (since you're not gonna get that wet anyway). Magnacut would probably be better on the lil' native LW where it can actually be a salt knife.

I'd appreciate more LW handle colors. The gray color on the LW is a bit dull.
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

prndltech wrote:
This
vandelay

Post by vandelay »

s90v would be nice
Basko00

Post by Basko00 »

Bemo wrote:
Sat Dec 24, 2022 4:05 pm
prndltech wrote:
This

Yep. I’d buy one.
Toucan

Post by Toucan »

Never tried s90v but would like to try one of these days.

More than that, I would love to see the Chaparral become a platform for all the different steels. Perhaps in a rotating, but non-limited capacity. Like, have a run of the hot new tool steel, then some CPM-whatever, then do another few runs of that hot new tool steel. No more FOMO on the rare exclusies, no more buying up the limited supply to resell on eBay at 3x MSRP.

Sprints and exclusives are probably never going away, that is a bummer, but fine. I'd love to have one knife not limited by that though. I would like, any day of the week, to get the Chappy in several funky steels from any vendor.

While i'm pie-in-the-sky-ing... I wouldn't mind a 4-way clip on the Chappy (blasphemy, I know!)