CPM 15V Sprint sharpening and performance thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Fireman

Re: CPM 15V Sprint sharpening and performance thread

Post by Fireman »

SFO had about 40 in stock as of 15 min ago. Go get ‘em!!!
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Slalomnorth

Post by Slalomnorth »

Finally sharpened my pm2 tonight. It has been performing well with just the factory edge so I haven’t needed to sharpen it really.

Started with dmt 325, burr both sides no problem. Moved to dmt 600 flipped burr. Then deburring strokes. Deburred VERY easily, and I’m not just saying that. A few light strokes on unloaded basswood to clean up any residual burr. No strop, done. Really good aggressive edge barely whittles hair.
These pretzels are making me thirsty
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

True story, this 15V deburrs better than anything I've sharpened before.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

First day on the job, cut a few bits of boxes and cut through a scrap piece of wiring harness, no noticable difference to the edge. I will say though, it wasn't quite as sharp as other new Spyderco's I've gotten, would really only scrape-shave but it's still having no problem making clean cuts through things. I plan on using the factory edge until it's significantly dull or until I start seeing edge damage.

All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm probably late to this party and can't tell y'all anything you don't already know but I was out doing yard work today and beat on my Shaman pretty good. I didn't bother with any pics because it was just routine stuff, mostly saplings and weeds but I did cut a couple really thick jumbo sized zip ties. The edge didn't see any significant changes, didn't seem any more dull but also this knife came surprisingly less sharp than most that I've received. I did have a moment of absolute frustration after trying to cut through the zip tie about 3 times before it made the cut and remembered why I prefer serrations so much but overall I'm impressed so far with this steel. I was planning on using the factory edge for a while but I decided to touch it up on my Sharpmaker and I was really impressed with how it sharpened up, it was a far easier and more responsive experience than Maxamet and based on that alone I would buy this steel again over Maxamet.

Sometimes with Maxamet it just feels like I can't get past like 80-90 percent sharp if that makes sense, like I can't quite get it as sharp as other steels no matter how many passes on a stone I make, even if I start with a lower grit and burr it and do my best to deburr it. Maybe this is micro chipping or whatever, I can't see any burr or chips with my 10x loupe so if it's chipping out it definitely is micro in size. These edges still cleanly slice phone book paper but won't push cut. Doing the same sharpening technique (basically just Sharpmaker DVD stuff) I got a hair popping sharp edges and can whittle the hair on my arm if I'm steady enough to not cut clean through it.

It's overall a weird feeling not using serrations after so many years. I would assume the chances of seeing SE 15v are low, but then I was also shocked to see SE K390 so who knows. I would really love to try it in a Golden made knife like my Native 5 with some nice wide, low angle serrations so I can micro bevel it on the 15 degree slots.

Sal if you're reading this you should just make me a one-off and mail it my way, I'll even pay for the knife and I'll let ya know how it goes 😉

Oh, I just realized there isn't a 15V Native 5 yet so you can make it a Shaman 😊
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:19 am
youtu.be/yUn3HNii5ro
Hmmm... that's a pretty dramatic difference.
I have a some 1.0 and 0.25 micron from Ken Schwartz, enough to last the rest of my life at the rate I use it. Now I'm tempted to try the Gunny Juice, just to see for myself.
Sharp24/7

Post by Sharp24/7 »

Finally pulled the trigger on some 1micron Gunny Jucie. Can’t wait to see how it does.
gunmike1

Post by gunmike1 »

Sharp24/7 wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2023 3:47 pm
Finally pulled the trigger on some 1micron Gunny Jucie. Can’t wait to see how it does.
I haven’t been able to find any 1 micron in stock anywhere, but I’m looking to get some as well.
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Deadboxhero aka Shawn. Tried to post a question on the YT thread but couldn't. Care to share what you're sharpening progression was on that Manix?
Sharp24/7

Post by Sharp24/7 »

gunmike1 wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:25 pm
Sharp24/7 wrote:
I haven’t been able to find any 1 micron in stock anywhere, but I’m looking to get some as well.
Got mine at Knife Center
gunmike1

Post by gunmike1 »

Sharp24/7 wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 6:31 am
gunmike1 wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:25 pm
Sharp24/7 wrote:
Got mine at Knife Center
Thanks, I had a $20 reward with them so I ordered some up.
Guts

Post by Guts »

Sharp24/7 wrote:
You'll definitely enjoy it. Admittedly haven't tried all the competing products out there, but have tried a few of the diamond paste style compounds over the years and Gunny Juice just blows them out of the water. Applies and dries in a couple of minutes, no gummy/stickiness feeling to it, no heat needed, and it just cuts amazing. The hype is real.

Obviously works well with 15V and been using it on my PM2 and Manix examples with great results. I should've bought the larger bottles of it :smlling-eyes
:bug-red-white :bug-red :bug-white-red
kennbr34

Post by kennbr34 »

I was confusing 25 nm with 25 micron for a minute there. They're not the same right?

I have really been enjoying the finish off of a DMT 600 F credit card hone I use. It's 25 micron and a continuous electroplated diamond surface, but it is about 13 years old now so it's WELL broken in.

It makes for an extremely bitey and aggressive finish, but still able to whittle and tree top arm hair. My bare-minimum test is usually if I can pass it under my chin against the hairs and catch them and the 15V gets there so easily. It really makes me wonder why, and I think it must have something to do with the hardness and the carbide level, because the only other steel I have experienced that with is ZDP-189
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Bemo wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:45 pm
Deadboxhero aka Shawn. Tried to post a question on the YT thread but couldn't. Care to share what you're sharpening progression was on that Manix?
125um
40um
14um
0.5um
0.025um
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

kennbr34 wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:37 pm
I was confusing 25 nm with 25 micron for a minute there. They're not the same right?

I have really been enjoying the finish off of a DMT 600 F credit card hone I use. It's 25 micron and a continuous electroplated diamond surface, but it is about 13 years old now so it's WELL broken in.

It makes for an extremely bitey and aggressive finish, but still able to whittle and tree top arm hair. My bare-minimum test is usually if I can pass it under my chin against the hairs and catch them and the 15V gets there so easily. It really makes me wonder why, and I think it must have something to do with the hardness and the carbide level, because the only other steel I have experienced that with is ZDP-189
1000nm=1um
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
electro-static

Post by electro-static »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:02 pm
Bemo wrote:
125um
40um
14um
0.5um
0.025um
I’ve never seen a 0.025um compound, where did you manage to get one from? I have not seen abrasives that fine before, even in optics polishing (0.050 micron is the finest I have seen).
Giygas

Post by Giygas »

electro-static wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 12:01 pm
Deadboxhero wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:02 pm
Bemo wrote:
125um
40um
14um
0.5um
0.025um
I’ve never seen a 0.025um compound, where did you manage to get one from? I have not seen abrasives that fine before, even in optics polishing (0.050 micron is the finest I have seen).
I have .025 micron poly diamond spray from Ken Schwartz. I suspect that's where his is from, too.
Currently testing: M398, D3, SLD-Magic
Favorites: 10V, s90v
Wishlist: S290, Vancron, S125V, K890
17 Spydies, 14 steels
13 Maxace, 9 steels

https://instagram.com/cnyknifenut
https://youtube.com/@CNYKnifeNerd
Mrj

Post by Mrj »

Performed like a beast

And after. I just wiped off with finger

Still shaved hair after as well
MRj “Weak things break!”
electro-static

Post by electro-static »

New Cedric and Ada Gear edge retention test just dropped:

https://youtu.be/vWR9yGLmM1k

Has it outperforming K390, Maxamet, and Rex121 on just the first edge after the factory edge.

Truly impressive. BBB and Spyderco knocked it out of the park!