Waterway in Magnacut?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tangent

Waterway in Magnacut?

Post by tangent »

Sal… Lance… what are the chances that we might see this combination?
Matus

Re: Waterway in Magnacut?

Post by Matus »

In THEORY this should be an easier update than any of the folding knives as one does not need to worry about compatibility of the materials when it comes to moving parts. The question is - does the model sell well enough to justify the investment.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

I wouldn't mind seeing the Waterway in different steels.
huyfishin

Post by huyfishin »

we need to see it in green and yellow scales/handles
I Play With Salt Knives / instagram huyfishin
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I think there are already some lc200n Waterways waiting on sheaths. I don’t know anymore than anyone else here about plans for future steels but my guess would be that any new steels, handle colors etc would depend largely on how the upcoming batch of waterways sell. I’d imagine that would apply to most any model though.

For the record, I would personally be very much in support of a Waterway in Magnacut. I tested Magnacut extensively and its corrosion resistance is almost indistinguishable from lc200n and there is a significant improvement in edge performance, so what’s not to love. Since we’re wishing, I’d vote for an orange handle option too. :)
tangent

Post by tangent »

Roger that...

I suspect part of the hold-up (if there is one) regarding Magnacut is precisely what you just pointed out. They probably have significant stocks of steels like LC200N, S30V, etc. that they need to 'get through' before transitioning many models to Magnacut. (At least this theory seems logical to me.) But once this happens, I think we might see Magnacut become the new 'base steel' for many models. Wouldn't that be something? Seems like a pretty awesome steel from what I've been reading and no real drawbacks that have been reported (yet).
Zipper

Post by Zipper »

Another vote for orange scales and Magnacut. I have a Waterway and use it as my all purpose fishing knife. Everything from cutting up bait, gutting, scaling and filleting. With regards to filleting, it has largely replaced my frost and mora filleting knives. I don’t miss the flex of the knives I grew up using. Smart guy that designer bloke!
My only complaint (minor at that) is the black scales. Orange would be perfect and with better edge retention it would probably also replace my Benchmade Saddle Mountain Skinner as my general hunting knife.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I’d be down for MagnaCut & orange scales. Or pink. Or blue. Just needs to be bright!
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

I ordered a standard Waterway when Knife Center did their BF sales, but I'll agree that what I really wanted was a Waterway in Magnacut with bright scales.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I'd like on in Magnacut too but a black handle works better for a self defense knife. I like the look of it.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
SchoonerBum

Post by SchoonerBum »

An orange handled Waterway would be awesome, in LC or Magnacut. How about two versions, an orange handled one and a blacked out DLC version to take the place of the now discontinued Aqua Salt?
tangent

Post by tangent »

I’d take a waterway in Magnacut in any color. Fire engine red would be cool… hehe.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I would certainly buy one.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
MFlovejp

Post by MFlovejp »

I’ve been trying to find a Waterway for months now so will take one anyway I can get it. I do like the idea of Magnacut eventually but I’ll pick up a plainer one as soon as I can find one!
Current Carries: Military 4V, Stretch XL Cruwear, Sage 1 CF, Siren Sprint S90V, ZDP Delica
Wishlist: Cruwear Military, Super Blue Caly 3.5
Favorite Steels: CTS-XHP, Cruwear, ZDP-189, LC200N