Are there any models you liked the previous better than the current?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
infinkc

Are there any models you liked the previous better than the current?

Post by infinkc »

Curious as Spyderco is always making improvements and changes, are there any models you like better than their current?
Gayle Bradly, Techno, PM, Natives, Sages...

For me its the Techno, i prefer the 1 still.
RevMike

Re: Are there any models you liked the previous better than the current?

Post by RevMike »

Not really sure why but the fat and kind of goofy Native 3 is my favorite of the Natives. That is the first one that comes to mind but I'll think on this some more.
404 :bug-red-white s in 81 steel flavors.
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

The native 2 with ss handles. Primarily for aesthetic reasons.
:bug-red-white
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

Pacific Salt -- the handle works better for me than the Pac Salt 2, plus I like the barrel bolt clip.

Paramilitary -- the original's handle is just about perfect for me and I like the way it uses the lockbar for the detente in the closed position. Blade is better on the PM2; everything else, kind of neutral.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Love to get the first Pacific Salt for same reason, like the handle better. MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I like the Endura/Delica 3 handles more than the 4, the finger spacing fits me better and I really like the old barrel screw clip.

The original Chinook.

Aesthetically I like the original stainless Police more than the ones that followed.

I like the Worker more than the Delica...that might be reaching a little. I liked the curvy Harpy style grip area a lot more than the finger grooves.

I think the Native 5 handle is a massive improvement but I do miss the FRN texture of the original and I really miss the hollow grind and swedge. I would be absolutely in for a throwback version Native 5 with a hollow grind and swedge in SE.

GB1 over the GB2. The choil notch thing killed the 2 for me.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I loved the GB1 so much, I was luke warm about the GB2. The GB2 is no doubt a better EDC for most, but it's no replacement for the GB1 viewtopic.php?f=2&t=68977&p=1065178&hil ... g#p1065178
standy99

Post by standy99 »

abbazaba wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:22 pm
I loved the GB1 so much, I was luke warm about the GB2. The GB2 is no doubt a better EDC for most, but it's no replacement for the GB1 viewtopic.php?f=2&t=68977&p=1065178&hil ... g#p1065178
Yes GB1 all day for me.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
juggler

Post by juggler »

The Native has always been one of the best knife designs ever and I like the current one very much, but the swedge on some of the older versions looked so good :zany

I like the older version of the Jester better than the current one... probably because there isn't a current one!
Time is a great teacher. Unfortunately, it kills all its pupils.
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

The Original lockback Manixes , Original chinook , delica / endura 3 , original native , centofante vesuvius , Lil temperance 1/2 , A.T.R , Original Rubicon and my list can be made even longer.
Bottom line is Spyderco is not able to make godly knives as those anymore.
Its not that they are not able to fabricate them its probably that the cost would be to high for them.

Not to sound negative but the last 5 or so years it seems almost all they did , If you look at there catalog is turn more and more of there great designs into the “LW” stuff and the reason is easy they are easier to make , mold some plastic put in an super steel blade and tadaa there done.
No more uncountable new designs every month like is was before 2015 now its just the same models like before but in frn and another steel or a Stovepipe…

Kinda miss the old days i remember so many hypes the Brad southard , Rubicon , Nirvana , slysz bowie ,…. People where flooding the forum over the designs and how they worked ,…
Now its only steel talk about what steel the 7th LW version salt native is going to have and how there molecules are arranged the only good thing is that i read that stuff in bed i can fall asleep easily. :zany
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:03 pm
...The original Chinook....
apollo wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:11 pm
...Original chinook...

^ Yep. I have the Chin 3 and, while nice, it isn't the eye candy of the original. That trad Bowie shape with hollow grinds is very attractive.

I also preferred the original Persian to Persian 2 even though I usually go for flat grinds.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
vivi

Post by vivi »

The C95 Manix, Pacific Salt 1 and original Street Beat all have features I prefer to the newer versions.

That said it isn't cut and dry. There are things about the newer versions I prefer too, like thinner stock on the XL vs the C95, and the more curved rear end of the Pacific 2. The current street beat also has the better sheath between the two runs.
:unicorn
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I miss the "dinosaur" and "gear" jimping styles and wish they'd do different styles of jumping on different models once in a while. The gear style on my original Native was so cool. The dinosaur style on the old Military was cool too and I wish there was a modern refined version of it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Add me to the list of people who prefer the Gen 3 Delica and Endura, including Salt models that used the same handle. It’s a wash for me on the Native design as there are pros and cons to each.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I have no personal experience with either knife, other than handling them, but I love the original Ronin and much prefer it over the Ronin 2. (Both discontinued now but I figured it fit the criteria enough :face monocle )
-Nick :bug-red
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:40 pm
I miss the "dinosaur" and "gear" jimping styles and wish they'd do different styles of jumping on different models once in a while. The gear style on my original Native was so cool. The dinosaur style on the old Military was cool too and I wish there was a modern refined version of it.

Off topic, but the gear style square-notch jimping is the easiest type to do aftermarket. Just a cutoff wheel in a mounted dremel and an X-Y vise will give you good results! I find the square-notch jimping to also be very grippy, some of the grippiest! Must be those square corners.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Evil D wrote:
I’ve never handled a knife with those styles.
Is the “Dino” jimping what was found in the Spyker? I guess I could answer this myself with some comparative googling!
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Monty

Post by Monty »

One more vote for the Pac Salt. I like everything about the design, even the texture and the clip. I tried to like the PS2 but the grip just doesn't feel right. I also like how the grip on the PS1 is just long enough for the blade, no wasted space. I have a couple in the safe as backups...
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Me too
JRinFL wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:56 pm
Add me to the list of people who prefer the Gen 3 Delica and Endura, including Salt models that used the same handle. It’s a wash for me on the Native design as there are pros and cons to each.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Cl1ff wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:27 pm
Evil D wrote:
I’ve never handled a knife with those styles.
Is the “Dino” jimping what was found in the Spyker? I guess I could answer this myself with some comparative googling!
It seems like the Spyker would actually be the gear style?
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool: