Let’s face it Liner Locks and Back Locks suck!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Tgmr05

Re: Let’s face it Liner Locks and Back Locks suck!

Post by Tgmr05 »

Variety is a good thing. Otherwise all knives would have the same materials/lock/blade length/size/shape. Opinions are varied as well. Finding what works best for the individual is part of the appeal. Spyderco has really helped the knife community over the years bringing out interesting designs that simply fit the hand while being quite useful and effective. Options, always helpful.

Some like small knives, some large knives, some like to collect, some like to use, some like to play/fidget, some like to test/experiment. Depends on the person and their preferences.

Personally, I prefer loose pocket carry, and pretty much only carry backlocks due to my personal priorities for a knife to do so. I still own other lock types, but they simply are not the best option for what I prefer.

Variety, I for one am very glad we have it, and truly appreciate Spyderco making so many different options across the board.
Meadowlark

Post by Meadowlark »

I've been carrying and using both liner and back locks for 20 years and use them very regularly.

I cannot recall a single time cutting myself while disengaging those lock or closing those knifes.

They're simple, elegant locks with fewer moving parts and strong retention and will always have their place.

They're my two preferred locks, hands down.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I dunno, something about the sound of the lockup on a back lock is extremely satisfying to me. So strong you can even feel it lock into place each time. As long as there is a choil, I also like the one hand closing method. Granted it's another step in the process, but doesn't bother me.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I respect the OPs right to be incorrect. Besides, when using a pre-broken knife*, every lock is a compromise.

*folders are pre-broken fixed blades. :respect
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Well, I’ll agree to disagree!
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

I had a good feeling this topic would bring out the Back Lock Brigade, but I feel y’all are in the ever increasing minority in the knife world. For the same reason the Back Lock Manix, Manix XL and Lil’ Native don’t get any love from Sprints and Exclusives.

I will concede that there are certain times where having a knife with the propensity to close is warranted, but I don’t run with a knife. I have also never had a knife accidentally open on me because I understand that knives are designed to be carried a certain way to prevent that.

Automatic (Plunged Lock) knives are amazing, and I close those like I do my SLIPIT’s on my leg.

And once again, I’m not saying I don’t like my Back Lock and Liner Lock knives, I’m saying that if I could get all of them in Comp Lock or CBBL I would.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
James Y

Post by James Y »

Admittedly, I did once have a back lock close on my finger. It was a Cold Steel Code 4 with Triad Lock. Which if we're being honest, the Triad Lock is a modified back lock. And it wasn't the lock's fault; it was 100% operator error on my part. I stupidly tried to one-hand close it after loosening up the blade by leaving it half-open over a couple nights. And it wasn't specifically designed to be one-hand closed. MY fault.

I've never even come close to that happening with a Spyderco back lock, because they are "mid-back locks." The lock release is closer to the middle, as opposed to near the butt of the knife handle. Spyderco back locks are specifically designed for safe, easy one-handed closing. I close Spyderco back locks as quickly and easily as comp locks. Not that I'm trying to break speed records to close my knives. I don't need my knives to be "drop-shutty "

As for liner locks, they're not among my favorite
locks, but my Militaries have the best-made/configured liner lock, and have never let me down. The Military is actually the only liner lock I still carry and use. NOT because I think liner locks shouldn't be made anymore, but due to personal preference.

I owned two liner locks by another company that only makes liner locks on its folders, and due to poor lock interface geometry (and possibly materials), the locking liners on them wore all the way across the tang with minimal use and no blade flicking, and developed lock slip. Hardly the definition of "#1 Hard Use" knives.

Jim
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

prndltech wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:55 am

Well, I’ll agree to disagree!
Me Too ! MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Sharp24/7

Post by Sharp24/7 »

The only lock I’m not so hot on is the frame lock. I’m always worried I’ll break it if I squeeze the handle to hard. That said, I’ve never tried a high end frame lock, only CRKT and Gerber. I have the most experience with liner locks and Axis locks and like both. A Manix is likely my next purchase (unless that N5S in MC drops in the next month) and I’m really looking forward to trying the CBBL. At the moment I have to say the Axis is my fav, just ahead of the comp lock b/c it’s a hair easier to grip while closing IMO. But I’m hoping the CBBL will have end up having all the benefits of an Axis while staying closed a little more reliably. I’ve had Axis knives open when the stud gets snagged, and I like Spydies far more than any other brands that do Axis-style locks. All this said, I’m not going to let lock types keep from buying a knife.
olywa

Post by olywa »

I like and use all lock types, and though I've cut myself plenty of times over the years, I've never done so while closing a folder.

I really like the design and function of the CBBL but found them awkward to close one-handed because of the strong spring and difficulty getting good purchase on the plastic ball cage. That all changed when I modded one with new scales, added a Flytanium ball cage and replaced the stock spring with a medium strength spring. Flies open effortlessly now, and the metal ball cage gives much better purchase. That and the medium spring make it almost effortless to close. Feels like a whole new knife that finally lives up to its design potential. I'm in the process of modding another one now.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

R100 wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:51 pm
I have cut myself a few times when compression locks have come open in my pocket. That's dangerous because it is unexpected. Easy cure - don't carry them loose in a pocket and don't carry one if you are on a motorcycle or a horse. I think the whole fingers in the way of the blade thing is just silly. If you can't manage that you probably shouldn't be playing with sharp things. The lockback is the safest lock as far as I'm concerned because it has the strongest self close bias.

Dan

Same here. My Para 3 LW partially opened while clipped to my shorts on numerous occasions and nipped me a few times.

My favorite lock by a country mile is the Seki back-lock with the boye dent. I have a few dozen models with this lock, and carry one of them 99% of the time. I've never had an issue with any of them. I also really like the liner lock on the Military. The CBBL on the Manix is ok when broken in and smooth, but I have had ones that were stiff and/or sticky/jerky on brand new knives. The comp lock is my least favorite. Glad we have many options to make everyone happy!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Guts

Post by Guts »

Sharp24/7 wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:51 am
The only lock I’m not so hot on is the frame lock. I’m always worried I’ll break it if I squeeze the handle to hard. That said, I’ve never tried a high end frame lock, only CRKT and Gerber. I have the most experience with liner locks and Axis locks and like both. A Manix is likely my next purchase (unless that N5S in MC drops in the next month) and I’m really looking forward to trying the CBBL. At the moment I have to say the Axis is my fav, just ahead of the comp lock b/c it’s a hair easier to grip while closing IMO. But I’m hoping the CBBL will have end up having all the benefits of an Axis while staying closed a little more reliably. I’ve had Axis knives open when the stud gets snagged, and I like Spydies far more than any other brands that do Axis-style locks. All this said, I’m not going to let lock types keep from buying a knife.

You'll probably love the CBBL. Even though externally they operate the same, the CBBL is a way more stout design than the Axis lock. If anything, you may find it a little tough to close initially until it breaks in because the helical spring tends to be pretty strong. Shuts closed very authoritatively as well. It's a very elegant design. I'm hoping they add it to more models like the Sage or at least a smaller Manix.
:bug-red-white :bug-red :bug-white-red
James Y

Post by James Y »

One interesting thing about back locks is there are many examples of back lock knives from at least as early as the 1960s (Buck 110 knives) that have seen decades of use, are still being carried, and whose locks are still serviceable today.

The same can't be said YET about many of the newer locking systems of knives that are carried and used regularly for decades as sole, or main, EDC knives. Meaning, that are not parts of large collections that see only occasional rotation as users or sit in safes, but are actually used for a prolonged period of decades.

Jim
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I guess my tolerance for different locks is higher than some folks here, and I’m left-handed.

As with blade-steels, I defer to Sal’s “all good, just different” philosophy.

I will say that the frame lock in titanium has disappointed me, but only for reasons of execution, not concept. I now avoid it if the spring has not been hardened to retard wear.
Last edited by wrdwrght on Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
brancron

Post by brancron »

While I’ll admit that my Siren bit me once, I will not countenance your conclusion, sir! The back lock is my favorite lock by far. The strength, symmetry, reliability, and ease of use are unparalleled. Liner locks are harder to do well, but when properly executed they are great as well.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

One thing I hope, is that we do not see the same lock on every model across the board like other makers. I like variety and the uniqueness we see from Spyderco. I hope that stays around for awhile.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Guts

Post by Guts »

JSumm wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:02 am
One thing I hope, is that we do not see the same lock on every model across the board like other makers. I like variety and the uniqueness we see from Spyderco. I hope that stays around for awhile.
Yeah I agree. Rather, one model but different locks is better. That's why I love the Sage series. Something for everyone.
:bug-red-white :bug-red :bug-white-red
vandelay

Post by vandelay »

steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:23 am
My Para 3 LW partially opened while clipped to my shorts on numerous occasions and nipped me a few times.
What do you think actually lead to it opening? Inertia, comp lock getting released or just something pulling the blade open?
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I only see designs, and buy the ones I like.
Let's face it, we've all bought knives !
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

wrdwrght wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:48 am
I guess my tolerance for different locks is higher than some folks here, and I’m left-handed.
Same here, and same here. No problems with any of them. I can see theoretical advantages of one over another, and I have personal preferences, but they all work well. The knives I carry the most have backlocks, though.