How About A Newer Double-Bladed Spyderco Folder??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

How About A Newer Double-Bladed Spyderco Folder??

Post by JD Spydo »

When my good pal Manixguy spoke of the C-44 Dyad on the "Obscure" thread it really got me to thinking. It's been quite a while since Spyderco came out with their Double-Bladed Masterpiece we know as the C-44 Dyad ( the bigger one). It was such a nice job of engineering to make a double-blade Spyder when the Dyad and Dyad Jr models came out.

Heck even an improved version of the C-44 Dyad would be a really nice model to look forward to IMO. With one PE blade and one full SE blade you can do a lot of different cutting jobs with just one folder. Also I remember way back when the C-44 Dyad was still in the main line up. I blew me away at how many guys in the fishing industry loved that model. If I was working a construction type job again it would be my main EDC for most jobs.

Sure I realize that a Double-Bladed model is not for everyone. But for many practical purposes the concept of that Dyad ( Double-Bladed) model I thought was very useful and could be the ideal folder for so many different vocations. Or even a great folder to take to the woods for that matter. So let's talk about the possibility of a newer Double-Bladed Spyderco Folder>> or the resurrection of the C-44 model.
JRinFL

Re: How About A Newer Double-Bladed Spyderco Folder??

Post by JRinFL »

Most would probably not like my idea of having only one OHO blade on a two bladed knife. The requirement of the hump to accommodate the opening hole makes extended use uncomfortable for me. I always have to work around the intrusive hump of the closed blade.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I seem to recall a revised version on display in the prototype case. And Sal I believe mentioned a newer version as well.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I’m all for it , especially a Salt version . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
vivi

Post by vivi »

JRinFL wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:51 am
Most would probably not like my idea of having only one OHO blade on a two bladed knife. The requirement of the hump to accommodate the opening hole makes extended use uncomfortable for me. I always have to work around the intrusive hump of the closed blade.
This would actually get me interested in a new two bladed folder.

I tried every size of the dyad - micro on up.

Really neat concept but the dual humps compromised ergonomics too much for my taste.

Might be sacrilegious here but dual PE blades could be cool. 200 grit finish on one, 5,000 grit on the other.
:unicorn
cjk

Post by cjk »

The drop point blade UKPK is reasonably ergonomic to hold with the blade closed. I wonder if a double thickness UKPK with one PE and one SE blade would be a marketable and sellable thing.

StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

I could see a Dyad with Spy-DK style blades being a lot more comfortable to handle. That style knife seems more fitting as a slip joint anyway.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:34 pm
I’m all for it , especially a Salt version . MG2
They've been talking off and on for some time now about the possibility of a Salt Series Dyad. Not sure what type of hurdles they have encountered but I have heard different rumors about the Dyad models being extra expensive to produce.

I'm sure the guys in the commercial fishing industry would really love a Salt Dyad.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I liked this idea for a long time but since I started using serrations almost exclusively I don't know if I'd have a need for two blades. I already carry a multi tool and it has a plain edge blade and I can't remember the last time I needed to use it.

What I would be more interested in is a knife designed for hard utility work, and instead of a second blade it could have a fold out pry bar that could have an edge cut into one side, or maybe even shaped like an awl that could also be used for prying. This would be perfect for people who know they're going to use their knife for stuff they really shouldn't and would give them a second tool to pry open paint cans or whatever. I think this could be done far easier than designing a knife like the Dyad because you don't have to make the ergonomics absolutely perfect for just a pry tool, so the rest of the handle can favor the cutting blade and the pry tool can be a secondary tool that doesn't effect ergonomics.

The Tusk is already half way to what I'm imagining, but in a more typical knife design like maybe a Shaman or something.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

There is a thread on the Byrd forum about a Pry-byrd folder that has prying ability. Byrds are certainly a less expensive test bed for this idea.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

ladybug93 wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:52 pm
what about a byrd wings slipit with titanium scales/bolsters and polished g10, but rebranded as spyderco with salt steels?
this is the best looking of the dyad style knives, in my opinion, and would look even better dressed up a little more and made as a salt.
i still think this was the best looking dyad and i like the symmetry of the blades and the spine of the blades is shaped better for more comfortable use. again... i'd like to see the same kind of design, but as a spyderco instead of a byrd and with upgraded materials.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

It is possible to have OhO and no hump. I would like that better than the older Dyad design. I've said before that Buck got some Seki company to make a two bladed OHO knife years ago and I still have mine. It is not lefty friendly, but it has no hump. I'm certain Sal or Eric could design an ambidextrous OHO knife that has no humps.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
vivi

Post by vivi »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:54 am
I liked this idea for a long time but since I started using serrations almost exclusively I don't know if I'd have a need for two blades. I already carry a multi tool and it has a plain edge blade and I can't remember the last time I needed to use it.

What I would be more interested in is a knife designed for hard utility work, and instead of a second blade it could have a fold out pry bar that could have an edge cut into one side, or maybe even shaped like an awl that could also be used for prying. This would be perfect for people who know they're going to use their knife for stuff they really shouldn't and would give them a second tool to pry open paint cans or whatever. I think this could be done far easier than designing a knife like the Dyad because you don't have to make the ergonomics absolutely perfect for just a pry tool, so the rest of the handle can favor the cutting blade and the pry tool can be a secondary tool that doesn't effect ergonomics.

The Tusk is already half way to what I'm imagining, but in a more typical knife design like maybe a Shaman or something.
That makes me think of this old benchmade.

Neat design. Small blade for in the office etc., bigger blade for bigger jobs.

Your idea could work similar to this.
:unicorn