Compression lock play when closed

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
pedalmore

Compression lock play when closed

Post by pedalmore »

I recently picked up a Sage 5 Lightweight, and I love it. The action is phenomenal; it drops shut right out of the box (I think that pivot bushing is a big CQI), with solid lockup and no blade play when open. However, when it's closed there is some play. The blade stays closed, but it can move up and down by about 2-3 mm. It rattles a bit if I shake it as though I'm trying to fling it open.

I know the compression lock doesn't have a closed bias, but it does seem like it should sit tight. I only own one other compression lock, a Lil' Native (possibly my favorite knife, depending upon when you ask me), and it closes tight.

Is this something I can tune for? I'm comfortable rebuilding it, if that will help. (Edit: Okay, now I've actually done my homework, and I learned it's a simple detent ball. I had thought the compression lock played more of a role in closing. Now I see that there's no tuning that will fix it, so I'm just wondering if this is common.)

If not, is there a factory fix? Or is this just within spec?

Practically, it doesn't matter a bit. It just tweaks my OCD to feel it chatter.

Thanks!
Alex4

Re: Compression lock play when closed

Post by Alex4 »

I have the same issue with my para 3 lw, and I have seen soething similar in youtube video, so I guess it is not very uncommon. Though I have handled compression lock knives that are rock solid when closed
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

When not tensioned by an engaged compression lock, the blade is apt to take up any play of the washers on which it rides, or so I have concluded.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

This is called detent lash by most people.
This means the detent hole is too big for the ball (or the ball is too small for the hole).

My Para 3 does the same thing, and another Spyderco linerlock. This doesn't happen often at all and I've learned to live with it.

I have 1.6mm ceramic detent balls but this is too small to replace it. But I wonder, if I had a bigger ball to put it in, if it would be possible or if I'd have to drill a hole a bit bigger in the lockbar.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
pedalmore

Post by pedalmore »

Ramonade wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:53 am
This is called detent lash by most people.
Thank you! I love having the proper terminology. I wish I had that when I wrote to Spyderco; instead I just said that it seems like a small ball in a big hole. I described it clearly, including measuring the amount of play at the tip of the blade, and the warranty department said to send it in.

I'm curious to see if they consider it a problem. It feels that way to me, as I don't have any other detent-ball knives with play like this--including my other compression lock knife, which closes tight. I watched the Spyderco Edge-U-Cation video on the compression lock, and designer Mike Janich said they originally used the compression lock to establish the detent, but they switched to a ball because "It's a lot easier to create the detent tension that you want". I don't think that would include so much play.

I did send it in, and since then I ran into a friend with a Para 3 with exactly the same type of play, and I've heard of others, including here. So apparently it's not uncommon. Sometime in the next few weeks I'll find out if the Warranty Department feels that it's out of spec. I'll let you know.

Thanks again!