Which other Spydercos give you tip access like the Manix?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kennethsime

Which other Spydercos give you tip access like the Manix?

Post by kennethsime »

I don’t love everything about the Manix. Chiefly, I wish the handle was a bit more neutral.

I’ve been carrying mine recently, and there is simply no arguing: the blade shape makes for an absolutely stellar work knife.

I especially appreciate the immediate access to the tip, thanks to the generous negative blade angle. It’s almost like you can draw with it, like you would a pencil. That is just stellar.

By comparison, using the tip on a modified clip-point knife like my favored Military family knives requires a severe cocking of the wrist - delayed access, if you will. Drop points like the Native family are a little better in this regard, but still no Manix.

What other Spyderco knives give you this immediate tip access?

I imagine the Chapparal and Sage with their leaf-shaped blades would be close. Wharncliffes, like the YoJimbo are probably pretty good. I sure think that Hawkbill do too, though they definitely introduce some other cutting dynamics.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
jwbnyc

Re: Which other Spydercos give you tip access like the Manix?

Post by jwbnyc »

The Warncliffe Delicas are on a whole other level.
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

The Sliverax, Mantra 1 & 3, PM2 wharnie, Delica wharnie, Yojimbo 2, Canis, Rockjumper, Stovepipe, Swayback, P'Kal, Watu, Pingo, Techno 2, and Ronin 2 give good access to the tip with minimal adjustment of the wrist.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

This is something I look for in everything I buy, I like the tip to be below the centerline of the handle, which usually happens with some amount of negative blade angle but not always. Generally knives tend to have more shallow belly curves but again, not always. You'll see this in most of Spyderco's in house designs, many of the leaf shaped blades tend to have lower tips and even the ones that are more neutral or almost spear point shaped will have some negative blade angle to achieve the same result.

You may also be seeing one of the often overlooked benefits to shorter blades, in that there is far more control when using the blade tip. You can fiddle around with your grip and compensate on longer blades but that requires deliberate grip changes, but on a shorter knife like a Manix 2 you get that feeling no matter how you grip it because the tip can only be so far from your hand. This is one detail that makes a Delica such an awesome EDC if you have a hand size that works well with the handle shape.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
vivi

Post by vivi »

the yojumbo in my pocket is one of the best in regards to this.

on the other end of the size spectrum, the often overlooked Spin.

Pacific Salts and Endura do nicely for a regular blade shape. Not much belly to angle past.
:unicorn
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Here's an old pic that illustrates the similarities of other knives you mention to the Manix2. The Endura should be in there as well because I think it would achieve the quality you are referring to, while being more similar in size to the Manix2.

Also, if you wish the Manix2 were more neutral, it's worth holding a Tenacious if you haven't. Although, it definitely has more belly.

vandelay

Post by vandelay »

Anything with a wharncliffe or sheepsfoot edge will give you good tip access. Wharncliffe blades may look a bit weird, but they're remarkably good on a small knife like a dragonfly.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:43 am
You may also be seeing one of the often overlooked benefits to shorter blades, in that there is far more control when using the blade tip.
This is one of the reasons that the Dragonfly is my favorite package opener - so very easy to manipulate that little blade!
abbazaba wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:01 am
Here's an old pic that illustrates the similarities of other knives you mention to the Manix2. The Endura should be in there as well because I think it would achieve the quality you are referring to, while being more similar in size to the Manix2.

Also, if you wish the Manix2 were more neutral, it's worth holding a Tenacious if you haven't. Although, it definitely has more belly.
Thank you all for your suggestions, but especially abbazabba for the specific photos. As it happens, I've always appreciated the Tenacious, and ordered two from Knife Center on Black Friday for a blade swap project.

I think I should like to try a Sage and a Chaparral at some point.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

The Shaman is pretty good too. And speaking about the manix being used like a pencil, I've held it like that when stripping cable before. Works well honestly!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

soc_monki wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:07 pm
The Shaman is pretty good too. And speaking about the manix being used like a pencil, I've held it like that when stripping cable before. Works well honestly!

I was actually wondering if anyone else really did this...hold it literally like a writing instrument. I've done quite a lot of art in the past and if I really need to cut something very detailed I'll hold the knife the same as I would a pencil or paint brush. Thumb ramps turn into index finger ramps and it works really well.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:46 pm
soc_monki wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:07 pm

I was actually wondering if anyone else really did this...hold it literally like a writing instrument. I've done quite a lot of art in the past and if I really need to cut something very detailed I'll hold the knife the same as I would a pencil or paint brush. Thumb ramps turn into index finger ramps and it works really well.
There's at least two of us! :winking-tongue
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

The Straight Spine Stretch meets this criteria. Almost identical to the Manix.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Bemo wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:55 pm
The Straight Spine Stretch meets this criteria. Almost identical to the Manix.
I’m carrying a Stretch today, and I’ve got to say I disagree. While I love my Stretch to death, I’ve got to choke up on it considerably in order to achieve the same kind of tip control. I think this has to do with both the belly and the blade angle.

SRT392HEMI

Post by SRT392HEMI »

jwbnyc wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:05 am
The Warncliffe Delicas are on a whole other level.
Another vote for this.^^^
That Delica wharncliffe tip will do calligraphy.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The Manix is a genius design, especially the light weight (but this needs a backlock!). It gives a lot of control and a lot of cutting power.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:42 pm
The Manix is a genius design, especially the light weight (but this needs a backlock!). It gives a lot of control and a lot of cutting power.
The Manix is indeed a genius design.
No mather if its the g10 or the LW.
( Personally i find the g10 is far superior in build quality especially when also taking in account the prices )
For me personally the Manix family outclasses even the oh so prayed up on pm2 for day to day use.
Count in that the knife is far more amidextrous then the military family and you can only call it a master piece.
Last edited by apollo on Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:38 am, edited 8 times in total.
benben

Post by benben »

apollo wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:00 am
Doc Dan wrote:
To mather if its the g10 or the LW.
( Personally i find the g10 is far superior in build quality especially when also taking in account the prices )
For me personally the Manix family outclasses even the oh so prayed up on pm2 for day to day use.
Count in that the knife is far more amidextrous then the military family and you can only call it a master piece.
100% agree with everything written here!
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

benben wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:26 am
apollo wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:
Thx benben! You helped make my day. :grin-big eyes
Now let us hope that Eric doesnt keep al the 15V's under his own Christmas tree... :squinting-tongue
Manifestgtr

Post by Manifestgtr »

benben wrote:
apollo wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:
I’ll triple that sentiment 👍
Crucarta: Shaman (x2), Manix 2, Lil Native, Delica, GB2 & PM2
Notable: 52100 and Cruwear Millie. “15v-arta” Shaman. REC Manix. K-carta Endura, P4, Dragonfly and Delica.
Favorites: Shaman, Sage 5 lightweight, Sheeps Caribbean, Manix, Endela and all things Stretch
benben

Post by benben »

apollo wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:37 am
benben wrote:
apollo wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:
Thx benben! You helped make my day. :grin-big eyes
Now let us hope that Eric doesnt keep al the 15V's under his own Christmas tree... :squinting-tongue
You're welcome sir!
I'll throw a Christmas wish out there.....I'd love to see the Manix 2 (or the XL) in a fixed blade! Same blade shape, same size (maybe an inch longer) in a great workhorse tool steel. G-10 or Micarta, doesn't matter! I'd definitely buy one or two.