Condolences for your missed deals

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Cl1ff

Condolences for your missed deals

Post by Cl1ff »

Expressing my sympathy for those like me who missed out on a good deal.

I'm just lamenting that I found a Spyderco Spyker for nearly half what it was going for elsewhere at an online store called Adam's International Knifeworks. It seemed like THE deal of the weekend to me, because that's one of the rare discontinued models I most want. Long story short, I successfully purchased it and got a conformation email, but i then received another email apologizing because it had apparently sold earlier today and they didn't charge my card (even though it was definitely listed as in stock at the time of purchase). :'(
Their customer service was swift, at least.

Anyway, that was the second purchase I was too slow to make tonight under similar circumstances, so I'm a bit bummed about that. Sorry for bringing my troubles to this forum, so I posted a topic instead of derailing the threads meant for tracking available deals. Feel free to join me and share the missed deals that hurt you the most I guess.

On the bright side, I was able to get other good deals on several other Spyderco Products, including sharpening supplies, an Aqua Salt, Swick 6, Z-cuts, and more, so I'm overall happy.
Looking Forward to the BBB CPM15V Manix 2 :)
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
mikey177

Re: Condolences for your missed deals

Post by mikey177 »

I know the feeling of missing out on a rare model.

I found a Tropen for a good price on KSF, but I slept on it as I wanted to see what deals were available at other retailers. I figured that no one else would be interested in the Tropen because of the exposed blade issue. Surprise, surprise, when I checked back the next day it was OOS.

I still got nice discounts on some models that I've been wanting to try out, so I am grateful to the retailers who participated this weekend.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

mikey177 wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:10 pm

I found a Tropen for a good price on KSF, but I slept on it as I wanted to see what deals were available at other retailers. I figured that no one else would be interested in the Tropen because of the exposed blade issue. Surprise, surprise, when I checked back the next day it was OOS.

I still got nice discounts on some models that I've been wanting to try out, so I am grateful to the retailers who participated this weekend.
Funny enough, the Tropen was the only knife I felt the need to target during this whole No MAP Holiday.

There were a couple of other deals I would’ve liked to take advantage of but they were for knives that aren’t rare and I’ll have ample opportunity at in the future such as a Subway Bowie or LeafJumper.
-Nick :bug-red
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Regret sleeping on a Dragonfly Hawkbill at SMKW for about $58, thinking no one would be interested in it...when I was about to check out the next day (Sunday), no dice, OOS, and missed out on getting a free Cold Steel Machete since my purchase didn't go over $199 (my cart totaled to about $200 over with the DFly Hawkbill). Actually the machete was not a factor, it's just that I slept on most H1 serrated models since the price increase, and this was my chance to get it at what it was sold a few years ago.

Got a consolation from Knives Plus at $63, but still kinda slightly miffed lol. No, it's not about missing out of 5 dollars savings (or $17 off their current street price), but the thought that for a weekend, you could get these at their prices a few years back.

:winking-tongue

Also thought long and hard at BHQ's Swayback at $189... I got mine a couple of years ago for about $200 so it's not much of a missed deal, but the price made me think hard if I wanted a backup.

Also, that KSF Spydiechef! Cheese whiz, I should have gotten a backup copy of mine at that price. Oh well.

This is kinda cathartic, isn't it? :zany
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

mikey177 wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:10 pm

For sure!
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I tried to be prudent only bought two knives of interest . I could have bought more but upcoming knives I want coming up stopped my buying frenzy . It was a lot of fun shopping ! MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

I was hyped at the sales, and figured I'd pick up an endela K390 since they were 112 vs 140. Decided to wait, had other things to buy and bills to pay. Got an email from smoky mountain knife works about sales and decided to look at their site. Endela K390 for $100. Yea, I got one. And a free Kershaw Cinder (I think?) to boot! Glad I waited!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I didn't so much miss anything in particular but I do have this feeling that I'll regret not jumping on a couple things but I very rarely buy for myself this time of year so it's nothing new. The one knife I did "order" probably won't be paid for until mid 2023.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I didn’t figure out there was such a discount running until late yesterday, but I am still selling and saving for a canoe that’s due to deliver in December. So my personal finances haven’t changed, I still have no business spending money!! There are knives I’d like to try, but I don’t NEED any to get through a day. In general the knives I liked but thought were too expensive we’re still too expensive regardless of the deals.

I did wind up getting the Swick 6 at 25% off, and I will still stalk deals on the Siren I think as I prioritize a few solid corrosion resistant knives for my fun on the water.
Unbrokenchain33

Post by Unbrokenchain33 »

Sad I missed SpydieChef for 188 at KSF so settled for the blue version for 208
Guts

Post by Guts »

I don't think my wallet could stand any more damage from the weekend so it's probably a good thing I missed the flash seconds sale that Spyderco had.
:bug-red-white :bug-red :bug-white-red
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i didn't buy a single knife during the sales. i wouldn't say i stayed strong, but i didn't make any purchases. i'm definitely kicking myself a bit over the wharncliffe endura, but i kept telling myself i'm going to get that knife in k390 to give it a try instead of vg10. i made it through the sales with my wallet in as poor shape as it already was, so that's a good thing.

also, i'm with dan... if i'm going to buy another knife soon, i should be holding out for the 15v manix. i'd really hate myself for going after a vg10 endura and then not being able to justify the manix if it drops before the end of the year.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

ROMO = Reality of missing out
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

That Teal S90V PM2 at under $140, the delica wharncliffe s30v in teal for $69, the stovepipe for $300 (which is not a practical at all, but I love the way it looks...), and the $175 PM2 Maxamet screamed at the past few days for how good a deal they were, but a PM2 is a larger knife that'll just sit around the house for me... 😩
Toucan

Post by Toucan »

Knivesshipfree was the MVP (MVR?) for sales this season. I kept a few tabs open all weekend and really ruminated on a couple of knives. Ultimately, I decided to pass on all of them. But it hurt. $107 for a Spy27 Manix and the 90-something dollar LC200N Pac Salt were the ones that almost got me.
Ranger_Ike

Post by Ranger_Ike »

Toucan wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:27 am
Knivesshipfree was the MVP (MVR?) for sales this season. I kept a few tabs open all weekend and really ruminated on a couple of knives. Ultimately, I decided to pass on all of them. But it hurt. $107 for a Spy27 Manix and the 90-something dollar LC200N Pac Salt were the ones that almost got me.
National knives still has the Manix 2 in SPY27 for $107 if you log in…. Not to tempt you or anything…

https://www.nationalknives.com/spyderc ... cp-handle/
vivi

Post by vivi »

I got all the black friday deals I wanted but completely missed the online seconds sale.

I ended up with a DLC Yojumbo and yellow Pacific Salt in the mail. Should be here today!
:unicorn
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I utilized every deal I wanted, but some I regretted in passing only because they were great deals, not that I needed yet another copy of something similar or the same as what I had already. FOMO on great deals is real, but if you passed on the deals, you are the real winner.

The seconds deal was easy for me to pass on as the only real temptation was the PITS and the S110V Manix, neither I needed as I have firsts of those. Besides, the frustration of dealing with the slow site & other web issues was not worth it.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
z1r

Post by z1r »

JRinFL wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:07 am
I utilized every deal I wanted, but some I regretted in passing only because they were great deals, not that I needed yet another copy of something similar or the same as what I had already. FOMO on great deals is real, but if you passed on the deals, you are the real winner.

The seconds deal was easy for me to pass on as the only real temptation was the PITS and the S110V Manix, neither I needed as I have firsts of those. Besides, the frustration of dealing with the slow site & other web issues was not worth it.
I really wanted the PITS but a couple of purchases in the days prior put me well over my budget.
Toucan

Post by Toucan »

Ranger_Ike wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:28 am
Toucan wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:27 am
National knives still has the Manix 2 in SPY27 for $107 if you log in…. Not to tempt you or anything…

https://www.nationalknives.com/spyderc ... cp-handle/
Thank you for letting me know. This complicates things somewhat.