Never lose your knife again

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Fireman

Never lose your knife again

Post by Fireman »

A bit of panic set in when I could not find my Spyderco Mcbee. After 10 min of looking I found it but I was like “****, this is easy to lose” then the genius kicked in. I need an “Apple Air Tag” on a lanyard for this so it never happens again. Now, how to affix to a lanyard… leather?
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Buddafucco

Re: Never lose your knife again

Post by Buddafucco »

Maybe wrap it up with 550 cord like a monkeys fist knot? It'll probably end up larger than the McBee though.
•• Beau
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I think they make tasteful leather AirTag holders. Not a bad idea!
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

kennethsime wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:31 pm
I think they make tasteful leather AirTag holders. Not a bad idea!
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Zipper

Post by Zipper »

I suppose as the technology improves and becomes smaller, products like ‘Milwaukee ONE-KEY™’ or ‘Milwaukee TICK™’, will be handy. I can’t wait for Spyderco to develop it. Then I could use my, ‘find my Spydie’ app, to locate my knife spinning around in the washing machine!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

This is a great idea for knives used outdoors, camping and hunting and such. Eventually if they start making trackers like this in smaller sizes they might be able to be stuck inside the handle between the liners or even inside a lanyard hole.

Someone needs to start making "gear trackers" and patent it. There's definitely money in this idea.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:07 am
This is a great idea for knives used outdoors, camping and hunting and such. Eventually if they start making trackers like this in smaller sizes they might be able to be stuck inside the handle between the liners or even inside a lanyard hole.

Someone needs to start making "gear trackers" and patent it. There's definitely money in this idea.
I’m pretty sure you could have a pop in,pop out section for one of these in a fixed blade handle

Ones this size can also have a SOS feature

This is the smallest on a quick google search

Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

standy99 wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:42 am
Evil D wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:07 am

I’m pretty sure you could have a pop in,pop out section for one of these in a fixed blade handle

Oh definitely. You could probably hollow out the scales on most fixed blades with bolt on scales and hide that underneath if that isn't too thick. I bet on a Mule you could cut out a square from the center of the handle tang and fit that inside between the scales.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

There has already been thieves and criminals using AirTags for things they shouldn’t. I think it’s a great idea, but its potential for misuse has already been showed to us. This would be another step towards even smaller ones.

For example, at one point not just anyone could go buy tracking devices, you had to be a car dealer or something similar. Not sure if that’s still the case but…
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
cjk

Post by cjk »

Wouldn't one accidentally lose the mcbee more often (momentarily) given that the airtag is big enough to nearly obscure the entire mcbee?
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

My luck I would lose knife and phone ! 😂Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau