What is the first Spyderco you'd replace?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Peter1960

Re: What is the first Spyderco you'd replace?

Post by Peter1960 »

Bolster wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:07 pm
Imagine all your Spydercos are stolen, or lost, or burned, or confiscated, whatever. They're gone.

Which is the FIRST one you'd immediately replace?
If all my spydies are gone I probably wouldn't replace them, none of them.
Two main reasons: I would need a therapy that consumes a lot of money and in the meantime the prices would continue to rise so much that I no longer want to afford it.
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I would say the Police4 K390 g-10 and P'kal.

Probably wont be able to get a g10 p4, have to settle for a lightweight.

Then a manbug K390 and HB ladybug for work.

Then a Dragonfly Salt SE and HB Dfly Salt.

Then a PE stonewash Shaman.

Those are the bare essentials.

Probably try to find a Manix XL Sprint/Exclusive on Ebay. The 4V xl is quickly becoming a favorite.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
MFlovejp

Post by MFlovejp »

Subject to change depending on current mood, but a Military of some sort, an LC Siren, an H1 Pac Salt SE, and an FRN Chaparral would certainly get me going again. I might be able to stop there too.
Current Carries: Military 4V, Stretch XL Cruwear, Sage 1 CF, Siren Sprint S90V, ZDP Delica
Wishlist: Cruwear Military, Super Blue Caly 3.5
Favorite Steels: CTS-XHP, Cruwear, ZDP-189, LC200N
Guts

Post by Guts »

PM2 for me no question. That's remained my absolute favorite despite trying out a lot of different stuff. I keep coming back to it.
:bug-red-white :bug-red :bug-white-red
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

I'd buy a k390 Delica and a coarse diamond or CBN benchstone. If my entire collection went up in flames, I'd be pretty deflated and probably would never buy another knife unless I somehow lost that Delica.
--Jeremy
kataphraktos

Post by kataphraktos »

Skywalker wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:19 am
kataphraktos wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:57 am
Dragonfly 2. Not my favorite Spyderco, but the one design that I have never found a substitute for, from any maker. Just perfectly fits its role as a little big knife that punches way above its weight class. (That said, mine is a HAP40 and I'd probably replace it with a K390 if I had a clean slate.)
Slight sidebar, but could you elaborate on your thoughts for the HAP40 vs K390 in a small knife?

I've been going back and forth on whether to get a K390 Delica to compare to my usual HAP40 Delica carry myself.
Sure. First, I don't love the cladded blade of the sprint HAP40, other things being equal. Second, the edge retention on the HAP40 Dragonfly is just mediocre. Just doesn't seem like the heat treat on the HAP40 sprint unlocked the potential of the steel all that well, if I compare it to the REX 45 Spydercos I've owned that supposedly were treated to much higher hardness. From everything I've read, Spyderco's K390 is fabulous in its edge retention.

As you say, though, in a small knife like the Dragonfly or even the Delica, it hardly matters. Very easy to strop and resharpen the HAP40 in seconds on a blade this short and thin. So probably the biggest reason is that I'd like an excuse to try something new . . .
vivi

Post by vivi »

kerrcobra wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:54 pm
I'd buy a k390 Delica and a coarse diamond or CBN benchstone. If my entire collection went up in flames, I'd be pretty deflated and probably would never buy another knife unless I somehow lost that Delica.
I wouldn't go out of my way trying to hunt down sprints and discontinued models like the C95, 4V Manix XL, Police 3, etc., but I definitely wouldn't stop at just one!
:unicorn
Road Tripper

Post by Road Tripper »

That's an interesting question. Overall, my favorite is the Manix 2 mid-backlock. The G10 texture is perfect for my use, and I like the closed handle back for comfort. Since it's out of production, barring a used one, I'd look for one of the exclusive Manix 2s (exclusive because they tend to have milled liners, and so are a little lighter).

I have a Manix lightweight on the way, so we'll see if that changes my mind.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

I wonder what Sal's and Eric's answers would be to this question. (That would entail, of course, the imagined destruction of thousands of knives before they had none and had to start over.)

I can imagine Michael J's answer: Yojimbo. Maybe Delica. But I could be wrong!
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

It would have to be one of the knives I carry on a regular basis around the house; something I can just drop into the pocket of my sweatpants or shorts. So, SE, linerless FRN, and a strong bias towards closing; steel choice isn't that important, all the options will get the job done. The UKPK Salt and Salt 2 wharncliffe are strong contenders, but I think I'd go with the Stretch 2 XL. That's what's in my pocket right now.
SchoonerBum

Post by SchoonerBum »

My Aqua Salt, hands down. It's the most versatile and useful knife I've ever owned.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I think the very first one I would replace would be a C-36 Military model with one of the Supersteel blades. Because my M390 Military model is to this day probably thee one Spyderco folder I have used the most over the years. A close second to that would be my trusty Stainless RESCUE full SE model from the ATS-55 era. I have really put some miles on that bad boy too.

Second I would prioritize replacing all of the Spyders I had for specialty uses like the Catcherman, TEMPERANCE 1 and one of the premium fully serrated fixed blade models for all purpose use >> along with my Spyderco kitchen knives.

That is truly a tough one to nail down to just one unit because I truly rely on several of my Spyderco "USER" blades for my day to day activities. It would be quite a project to replace what took me years to put together.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I’d buy a Military and a Delica. That’s all I need.

I may or may not stop after that. I am sure I would acquire more over time but I wouldn’t try to rebuild.

At this point I’m priced out of many knives and I’m also past the experimentation phase. I pretty much know what works for me and what I like. Over time I’m sure I would build up a pile again but round two would be a lot different.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
brancron

Post by brancron »

Losing all my Spydercos is a horrible thought! Some of them would be all but impossible to replace. But I would start the great re-build with an Endura 4. The Endura is my default workhorse Spydie.
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:35 am
I’d buy a Military and a Delica. That’s all I need.

I may or may not stop after that. I am sure I would acquire more over time but I wouldn’t try to rebuild.

At this point I’m priced out of many knives and I’m also past the experimentation phase. I pretty much know what works for me and what I like. Over time I’m sure I would build up a pile again but round two would be a lot different.
This is a good choice, and while I only said I'd buy a Delica, it would be very hard to not pick up a Military too. However, after the shock of losing all of my Spydies, I wouldn't have it in me to try to build up another knife collection. I'd probably eventually get some form of a fixed blade too though.
--Jeremy
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Fly Fishing Rick wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:03 pm
Chaparral LW for me, I carry my Smock almost just as much but I find the Chaparral more practical for most things.
It’s offtopic but may I ask why would you say that Chapie is more “practical” ? I love both but the Smock is more sturdy and that hollow blade is awesome !
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Kevinim82

Post by Kevinim82 »

First buy back would be a ladybug. It gets used the most.
Was never a space cadet, but with LC200N I might be more in space than a cadet.

MNOSD 0009
Fly Fishing Rick

Post by Fly Fishing Rick »

elena86 wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:59 am
Fly Fishing Rick wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:03 pm
Chaparral LW for me, I carry my Smock almost just as much but I find the Chaparral more practical for most things.
It’s offtopic but may I ask why would you say that Chapie is more “practical” ? I love both but the Smock is more sturdy and that hollow blade is awesome !
I meant more practical for me and for me the reason is the same reason why I almost never carry my PM2, I don't care for larger folders. I have more control with shorter blades so I tend to prefer them. The size, weight, and blade design of the Chaparral are just better suited for the kind of cutting tasks that I do from day to day. The Smock is right on the edge of being too large for my personal preference in a folder but it operates very easily, doesn't take up much pocket space, looks great, and is just downright fun so I carry it frequently.
-Jimmy
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Tallies of top "first Spydie I'd replace" so far:

PM/PM2 = 8
Delica = 6
Manix = 6
Mili = 5
Native = 5
Police = 5

If a poster gave multiples, I only counted the first mentioned. Counts may be inaccurate due to numerical dy51ex1a on my part; feel free to ping me with corrections.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Bolster wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:33 am
Tallies of top "first Spydie I'd replace" so far:

PM/PM2 = 8
Delica = 6
Manix = 6
Mili = 5
Native = 5
Police = 5

If a poster gave multiples, I only counted the first mentioned. Counts may be inaccurate due to numerical dy51ex1a on my part; feel free to ping me with corrections.
I suspect that if Spyderco had to cut most of their lines, the remaining result would look similar to this list, with a Salt or two added.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001