What is the first Spyderco you'd replace?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Re: What is the first Spyderco you'd replace?

Post by vivi »

Bolster wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:33 am
Tallies of top "first Spydie I'd replace" so far:

PM/PM2 = 8
Delica = 6
Manix = 6
Mili = 5
Native = 5
Police = 5

If a poster gave multiples, I only counted the first mentioned. Counts may be inaccurate due to numerical dy51ex1a on my part; feel free to ping me with corrections.
missing salts
:unicorn
Roefisher

Post by Roefisher »

If I was going to replace one Spyderco, it would be the Lil' Temperance in the original green G-10 leaf blade, if I could find one, or else the newer black G-10 model.

If I had the opportunity to replace as many as I liked, I'd just go for one more knife, the UKPK, in the red G-10 leaf blade so I'd have a slipjoint too.
“You just made me have a bowel movement in my britches, Garrett. I ain't gonna never forgive you for this.”
Unbrokenchain33

Post by Unbrokenchain33 »

Sage 5 LW for me followed by ladybug hawkbill
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Native 5 Fluted CF/S90V

Most of my collection is no longer readily available and the S90V Native would fill nearly all of my EDC needs while still having that X factor.
So it goes.
BIGSTRETCH

Post by BIGSTRETCH »

It is hard to pass up on a Manix, PM2 or Stretch; but it is going to have to be the Watu.

Perhaps I’m still in the honeymoon phase with it, but It carries better than any of the above, slices better, does the classy/gents thing better (subjective, i know), robust enough, stainless enough, easy enough to sharpen. The aforementioned models have been my favorite knives for years and this one flew under my radar for too long. Check out the ‘sliciest spyderco’ thread. I’m very happy to have caught on to it thanks to this forum.

I feel after all this gloating that I should mention it is not perfect and there are some kinks that could be ironed out, namely the comp lock can be pinchy and the end of the choil/bolster bounces off your finger when closing, but it does so much good when it comes down to what I want in everyday use. Surprising for an odd looking fellow but who doesn’t love a knife with character.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

vivi wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:02 pm
missing salts

You're proposing a grouping by steel, essentially? I grouped by models for the count. If you group all salts together, I counted 8, across 4 different models. Don't know whether to count Chef as a Salt since it's not in the name. If you include Chef as a 5th model you get 10.

To your point, the nitrogen steels are valued by many.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I didn't read the thread yet, but I will. I've repeated myself on this often, but definitely a Pacific Salt. I will always have one, as long as I have any knives, and I really wouldn't need anything else if I didn't want to.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Bolster wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:43 pm
vivi wrote:
missing salts

You're proposing a grouping by steel, essentially? I grouped by models for the count. If you group all salts together, I counted 8, across 4 different models. Don't know whether to count Chef as a Salt since it's not in the name. If you include Chef as a 5th model you get 10.

I misread your post as a tally of all the knives posted rather than the top choices. My mistake.
:unicorn
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Military
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Bolster wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:43 pm
vivi wrote:
missing salts

The Chef is officially a Salt series knife.
Foehammer

Post by Foehammer »

DLT trading purple CruWear pm2. Great steel and the colour combo just sings to me. 😁
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

~Joe

MNOSD member #0045
Roefisher

Post by Roefisher »

A wee while ago, I mentioned the Lil' Temperance here and in the other "one" knife thread but I've always been in two minds about it and another favourite, the D’Allara.

Honestly, I think they're both equally well suited as my "one" knife, and first to replace if necessary, but I was probably being a bit sentimental in leaning towards the Lil' Temperance because of my enjoyment with the earlier model when I was starting out with Spyderco knives, and quality knives in general.

I just couldn't give the nod to either one of them, it's that close.
“You just made me have a bowel movement in my britches, Garrett. I ain't gonna never forgive you for this.”
Skar

Post by Skar »

I maybe the odd one out.
#1 kapara
#2 Millie
#3 delica
#4 manix 2
#5 para 3
sup3rnaut

Post by sup3rnaut »

Probably a Caribbean. I’m beginning to like mine more than my PM2’s. The action is SO sweet, and it’s got significantly more cutting edge than the PM2.
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

Caly 3 probably, all the spyderco models I own are disco’d so it would depend what’s available for me first on the secondary market.
:bug-red-white