What is the first Spyderco you'd replace?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bolster

Re: What is the first Spyderco you'd replace?

Post by Bolster »

Interesting. 15% of respondents would buy back one or two but not continue to collect after that.

I was not expecting that response!
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Cruwear PM2

After that a K04 SE (6.5 inch utility) for the kitchen.
https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... -Black/852
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
R100

Post by R100 »

That is a terrible proposition raised by the OP.

I'd take the carbon fibre/S90V Siren. For me that's probably the best knife Spyderco have ever made. Ergos, weight, materials, balance, size, design all go to make this the ultimate outdoor knife and the best companion for an epic journey through the wilderness of a life.

If I was on a budget it would be the Stretch 2 XL.

Dan
CDEP

Post by CDEP »

Bolster wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:59 pm
Interesting. 15% of respondents would buy back one or two but not continue to collect after that.

I only listed one because the OP asked for the "first." I would absolutely keep reacquiring.

If limited to production models:
Native 5 Maxamet
Native 5 Magnacut (when it comes out)
Native 5 Spy27
Native 5 CF
PM2 CruCarta
Para3 Blackout in S45VN
Para3 Maxamet
Lil' Native Lockback
Lil' Temperance 3 LW
Native Chief
Shaman
Yojimbo2
GB2
Kapara
Siren (if it comes back)
Sage 5 LW
Chaparral Sun & Moon
Polestar
Alcyone
Chicago

After my divorce was final I'd keep going...
Brian
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Bolster wrote:

Ha ha ha ! How many did you list Buddy ? I must say some in my collection are irreplaceable due to the nature of how they were acquired . This is an interesting question in many ways . Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

What i would first want to replace is my Chinook 1.
But since that would be nearly impossible since i just spend 15 years to get it. i would replace a Manix XL first.

Then try and grow the collection again.
Offcourse i would be depressed and angry loosing my collection but it would pass and go back to normal after buying that XL then.
In the end its better to have loved and lost then never to have loved at all... for me that even counts for my spydies.
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

Paramilitary 2. Maybe a Stretch 2.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
miohin

Post by miohin »

If it was a model I own: M2LW. I'm not sure why I'd pick it over the Endura when it's more of a pocket hog, has considerably less cutting edge, etc. There's just something about it.

If also shopping models I do not own it'd probably be between S2XL, Para 2, Native Chief, or possibly a Police 4 or Military.
Lurker
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I think it would be a Delica. I'd follow that with an Endura. Now, if I couldn't have a locking knife I'd choose a UKPK.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Bolster wrote:

I just went with my gut, the first model that came to mind when I read the title. That's usually the truest answer. I could make a long list of what would come after my #1.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

K390 Endura.

Close second would be a K390 or Hap40 Delica for environments where something a little smaller is prudent. Then a couple LynchNW Ti deep carry clips.

Distant 3rd/4th would be a 20CV Endura and then kitchen knives, maybe.

But really, I'm with all of these guys:
JRinFL wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:13 pm
Manix 2 of some flavor. Now I know it is it is all I need, I might just stop there.
mikey177 wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:04 pm
But to answer the question, I'd replace my Spy27 Native 5 first, followed by a K390 Endela. After which I would cancel all my accounts at online retailers and knife fora, in the hopes that I could stop at two knives this time around lol
abbazaba wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:48 pm
I'd probably buy a Delica and try to stop there 2nd time around!

FRN lockback with upgraded steel is what I keep grabbing when I know I'm going to be cutting a bunch of stuff... I love my fancy G10/CF/Ti from Golden and Taichung but I could've saved myself a bunch of money over the years, hah :grin-sweat
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Delica, in a heartbeat.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

I've mostly had only three EDC's.
First knife I'd acquire would be a FRN Police4 K390.
Second would be a S90V Siren.
Third would be an Endura, but since I've got the other two, it would be a Pacific Salt 2 with a serrated edge which I'd put in the center console of my car.
After all that I'd buy something with a blade less than 3 inches for some places that do that kind of thing, probably a Para3 LW of some flavor.
kataphraktos

Post by kataphraktos »

Dragonfly 2. Not my favorite Spyderco, but the one design that I have never found a substitute for, from any maker. Just perfectly fits its role as a little big knife that punches way above its weight class. (That said, mine is a HAP40 and I'd probably replace it with a K390 if I had a clean slate.)

Second place goes to the SpydieChef. Again, not my favorite (and I really, really wish the scales weren't so slick given that it's basically designed to get messy/wet), but has the second fewest substitutes for what I use it for.
Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

kataphraktos wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:57 am
Dragonfly 2. Not my favorite Spyderco, but the one design that I have never found a substitute for, from any maker. Just perfectly fits its role as a little big knife that punches way above its weight class. (That said, mine is a HAP40 and I'd probably replace it with a K390 if I had a clean slate.)
Slight sidebar, but could you elaborate on your thoughts for the HAP40 vs K390 in a small knife?

I've been going back and forth on whether to get a K390 Delica to compare to my usual HAP40 Delica carry myself.
attila

Post by attila »

First impulse is some sprint run, exclusive, or S110V of each of these:
Manix, Manix LW, Military

Also, a P.I.T.S., a DF2, and future Mules.

The more I think about it, the more I would want to rebuy.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:12 am
Bolster wrote:

Ha ha ha ! How many did you list Buddy ? I must say some in my collection are irreplaceable due to the nature of how they were acquired . This is an interesting question in many ways . Dan

I meant: I listed the first I'd replace (probably Chap for me) but I doubt I would stop re-acquiring after that. I was referring to the folks who said that they'd replace just a few, and then stop. Not sure I have that kind of self discipline. I admire it though.

Brock O Lee wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:29 am
....After that a K04 SE (6.5 inch utility) for the kitchen...

Ha ha, yes, I was thinking my second replacement might be a Yang for the kitchen, if I could find one. It gets used every day.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Monty

Post by Monty »

I'd need my Bug back on my keychain ASAP, packages aren't going to open themselves!
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Man, if my MuleTeam's got nicked, I'd be one inconsolable moonpie.

I'd probably want to replace my

I'd probably just quit collecting :worried
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
PeanutButterFan

Post by PeanutButterFan »

I’d get a stretch in whatever configuration is readily available