Can You Remove A Pinned Manix Blade?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Scandi Grind

Can You Remove A Pinned Manix Blade?

Post by Scandi Grind »

I'm thinking I want to buy either a Manix or Endura while they are on sale. Tough choice between the two, but I am not sure whether I can guarantee that I get screw construction with the Manix, so I wanted to know if you can still remove the blade on a pinned Manix, or not very easily?

Also wondering what general cleaning and maintenance looks like for those of you who have pinned knifes?
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man."

-- Old Norse proverb
phaust

Re: Can You Remove A Pinned Manix Blade?

Post by phaust »

If you Google manix pinned remove blade, there are a bunch of YouTube vids and threads for this forum on the topic of removing the blade
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Scandi Grind wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:15 am
I'm thinking I want to buy either a Manix or Endura while they are on sale. Tough choice between the two, but I am not sure whether I can guarantee that I get screw construction with the Manix, so I wanted to know if you can still remove the blade on a pinned Manix, or not very easily?

Also wondering what general cleaning and maintenance looks like for those of you who have pinned knifes?
No, not without drilling out the rivets.

I was actually under the impression that it was pretty easy to swap the blade, but difficult to take the rest of the blade apart. I tried last night, and failed miserably. Unscrewing the pivot bolts, remarkably, does not actually free the blade from the knife. You need to drill out the stop pin rivet at least in order to free the blade.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Scandi Grind

Post by Scandi Grind »

Looks like I' gonna go for an Endura then. I'm OK with that since I seem to gravitate towards that one more anyway.

Now I just have to pick black or blue. :thinking

-- Old Norse proverb
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Scandi Grind wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:15 am
I wanted to know if you can still remove the blade on a pinned Manix, or not very easily?
Not to be pedantic, but the knives are riveted, not pinned. There's a difference.

Yes, you CAN remove the blade on a riveted Manix 2. I took a bunch of pictures and posted them here. You should be able to find them if you search. It was a couple weeks after the REX45 was released, if that's any help. However, I wouldn't recommend disassembling the knife. Precisely drilling out rivets requires... precision. If you get it wrong, it's hard to put things right. Even my own work has two imperfections.

If you can figure out a way to get the knife that you want, without having to take apart a knife that wasn't intended to be disassembled, it might be the best solution.
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

I removed the blade from an S110V Manix 2LW pretty easily by removing the pivots screws and prying the scales apart. Once the scales are pried far enough apart, the blade will simply drop out. Note that when I did this, I didn't care whether this operation damaged the original FRCP scales, as I didn't intend to re-use them.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Scandi Grind wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:33 am
Looks like I' gonna go for an Endura then. I'm OK with that since I seem to gravitate towards that one more anyway.

Now I just have to pick black or blue. :thinking
Black is nice because it is inconspicuous. FWIW, I find the nice, bright, friendly colors are less intimidating around non-knife folks.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Scandi Grind

Post by Scandi Grind »

I ended up ordering one in blue. It's not my favorite blue, but I plan to RIT dye it something darker hopefully sooner rather than later.

-- Old Norse proverb