Pln - I'm so stupid!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bolster

Pln - I'm so stupid!

Post by Bolster »

For years I have been reading the "Pln" on Spyderco boxes as "Pin."

"But it's not a pinned knife, it's screwed," I'd wonder. "Why do they keep mislabeling these boxes?"

It dawns on me, after over a decade, that Pln means Plain ... as in, not serrated.

At least I hope that's what it means. If it doesn't, I have yet another step to take downward into the cesspool of stupidity.

:thinking
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Manixguy@1994

Re: Pln - I'm so stupid!

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

:smirk
Bolster wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:07 pm
For years I have been reading the "Pln" on Spyderco boxes as "Pin."

"But it's not a pinned knife, it's screwed," I'd wonder. "Why do they keep mislabeling these boxes?"

It dawns on me, after over a decade, that Pln means Plain ... as in, not serrated.

At least I hope that's what it means. If it doesn't, I have yet another step to take downward into the cesspool of stupidity.

:thinking
Everything is going to be ok . We support you honesty . Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

I always read it as "Pin" as well. Never gave it much thought, as I figured it was some internal stock code abbreviation.

"Plain" makes more sense. Thanks for the enlightenment, Bolster.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Well dang. Now I feel stupid. I never read the boxes that closely. I get that knife out as quickly as possible, so I can play with it and throw the boxes in a drawer. I have a lot of reading to do tonight.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Ranger_Ike

Post by Ranger_Ike »

I’ll shamefully admit that I throw away the boxes. I tried keeping them for a while, but empty knife box storage wasn’t something I could convince my family was a necessity. The boxes eventually succumbed to spring cleaning. Since the initial purge it has gotten easier and easier to toss them.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Bolster , kidding aside , I never knew there was a date code until enlightened here on the Forum . I can be a dummy too ! Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

You may also notice that the box on every plain edge Spyderco model uses a white sticker and every serrated edge Spyderco model uses a yellow sticker. ;)
-Nick :bug-red
huyfishin

Post by huyfishin »

Ranger_Ike wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:26 pm
I’ll shamefully admit that I throw away the boxes. I tried keeping them for a while, but empty knife box storage wasn’t something I could convince my family was a necessity. The boxes eventually succumbed to spring cleaning. Since the initial purge it has gotten easier and easier to toss them.
I throw away boxes for everything I buy. Everything except for Spyderco boxes
I Play With Salt Knives / instagram huyfishin
Skar

Post by Skar »

Ranger_Ike wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:26 pm
I throw them away too, no sense in keeping something that has no use.
No guilt there.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

There, there. We can't all be geniuses. We have to live according to our abilities. Hahahaha! Just kidding.

I sometimes scratch my head over some of the things on the labels.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

Mushroom wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:51 pm
You may also notice that the box on every plain edge Spyderco model uses a white sticker and every serrated edge Spyderco model uses a yellow sticker. ;)
That is true and good you point it out because many members here will have probably never seen a yellow one. :zany
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

apollo wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:53 pm
Mushroom wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:51 pm
That is true and good you point it out because many members here will have probably never seen a yellow one. :zany

So that explains why my Spydersaw has a yellow sticker!! And here I thought I had just bought it so long ago that the label had yellowed...
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

... (double post)
Mini2white

Post by Mini2white »

Try doing a search on eBay for Spyderco pins and all these annoying knives come up. You are not the only one that misreads that simple little thing. I am in error, I have known about it a long time and never said anything.
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

Arizona Custom Knives makes the same mistake all the time on their listings.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

Curious to know if the combo edge or partially serrated variants have a white or yellow sticker on the box.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

mikey177 wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:28 pm
Curious to know if the combo edge or partially serrated variants have a white or yellow sticker on the box.
Those are half yellow and half white! :grin-squint Only kidding!

Combo edge or partially serrated variants also uses a yellow sticker on the box.
-Nick :bug-red
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

Mushroom wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:39 pm
mikey177 wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:28 pm
Those are half yellow and half white! :grin-squint Only kidding!

Combo edge or partially serrated variants also uses a yellow sticker on the box.

Haha, good to know. Thanks :smlling-eyes
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Add me to the list of those who had the same epiphany regarding pln/pin on the labels. Only I had it twice because I had figured it out and then forgot and had to do all the thunking all over again. :flushed :')
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001