Please remove MAP pricing forever!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Should MAP pricing be removed forever?

Yes
61%
No
39%

Total votes: 122

skeeg11

Re: Please remove MAP pricing forever!

Post by skeeg11 »

Sal's company. His business model to choose. Who am I to say. Wishing Sal and Gail a speedy recovery. :smlling-eyes
Last edited by skeeg11 on Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Keep MAP but change the discount from 30% off MSRP to 40% off MSRP. This should keep sales going and offset some MSRP increases. A happy medium!
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I did not respond to the poll because I have mixed feelings telling Sal what to do with his business. Sal's family have this forum and we beg them for everything. I've even asked for a larger Native Chief so I'm no exception. Some of these ideas are good, but they are the ones taking the day-to-day risks making decisions and keeping the business operational.

So far so good! May the wind fill your sails Spyderco and may you have smooth seas ahead.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

This is a problem that is easy to solve.

Just stop buying Spyderco knives. These are luxury goods and even if not, the most die hard user will need one good model every several years.

So if you dislike MAP so much, then just stop buying. If enough people dislike it enough and stop buying, I'm sure Eric will notice.

But it has been my observation that since it's introduction, plenty of folks keep on buying them. And lots of the same folks complain every time the subject comes up (which is often) yet can't wait for the next thing they are jacked about.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

RamZar wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:45 pm
Keep MAP but change the discount from 30% off MSRP to 40% off MSRP. This should keep sales going and offset some MSRP increases. A happy medium!

How about 40% off AND no MSRP increases for at least 2 years? That's an even happier medium I could live with! :squinting-tongue

Just kidding, of course. But one could dream, eh? I for one could live with the idea of 40% off MSRP. :smiling-halo
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
akapennypincher

Post by akapennypincher »

skeeg11 wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:34 pm
Sal's company. His business model to choose. Who am I to say. Wishing Sal and Gail a speedy recovery. :smlling-eyes

Amen.👍
RustyIron

Senior Citizen Discount

Post by RustyIron »

How about making the MAP price the same as the MSRP,
but initiate a Senior Citizen Discount?
(I turn 60 in two months)
Danke

Post by Danke »

I am requesting a "Young at Heart" discount.
kennethsime

Re: Senior Citizen Discount

Post by kennethsime »

RustyIron wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:16 pm

How about MAP becomes MSRP, but I get an “influencer” discount in exchange for posting bad GoPro videos where I flick the knives a lot, question Sal’s intelligence, and drink a beer all at the same time?
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
James Y

Post by James Y »

RustyIron wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:16 pm

I've got just over 5 months left until I turn 60. I don't feel almost 60. Anyway, isn't 'senior citizen' 65 and over?

Jim
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

Mushroom wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:54 am
END M.A.P!!!

The consumer benefits largely outweigh the retailer benefits!

END M.A.P!!!
Agreed.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

James Y wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:19 pm

I've got just over 5 months left until I turn 60. I don't feel almost 60. Anyway, isn't 'senior citizen' 65 and over?

Hey, Junior.

You can get your senior discount off your Grand Slam Breakfast for $1.99 all day at Denny's. The downside is that if you eat that slop, you might not make it to 65 when the good discounts kick in.

I thought there would be some cool discounts when I turned 50, but nada. 55? Zippo. My last hope is for a Spyderco discount in a couple months. As my luck would have it, though, they'll release the Manix 2 CPM-15V a week before my birthday and I'd end up paying full-price like all the other youngsters.
🗡️👴🏻🔪

You know the really cool senior benefit? It was back when Covid was a thing. Costco would open up an hour early for people 60 and older. I couldn't get in by myself, but my wife is two years older. She would have to accompany me. Old People Day at Costco was GREAT. I could zoom the cart through the aisles in record time, and there were no lines at check-out. The exception was the area with vitamin supplements, laxatives, and Depends. There was always a traffic jam trying to get through that area.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

RustyIron wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:51 pm
Old People Day at Costco was GREAT. It was back when Covid was a thing. I could zoom the cart through the aisles in record time, and there were no lines at check-out. The exception was the area with vitamin supplements, laxatives, and Depends. There was always a traffic jam trying to get through that area.
Classic! :rofl
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
vivi

Post by vivi »

The lower the prices, the more knives I'll buy, and vice versa.

As an example, I bought backups of my Cold Steel Recon Tanto, SRK and SRK-C because they could be had for only $50 a piece.

I have a habit of picking up Moras from a local gun shop because they're right on the counter top for $10 a pop.

Another example, at $220 and soon likely $235-240, I didn't plan to buy any more DLC Yojumbos. But at $150 I bought a back-up. I really like the design but not enough to pay $250+ after tax and shipping.

I'm not saying MAP is right or wrong or I know more about business than anyone else. Just giving my perspective as a consumer.

DLC S30V base models of the Military, Manix XL, Yojumbo etc. are now beyond my personal limit for knives, $200.

If I could buy a DLC Manix XL for $125-150 I'd buy one today. At $205 I won't buy one unless I somehow managed to break or lose all the ones I've got.

On one hand I greatly respect Sal for keeping production of these models in the US instead of having them made in China. On the other hand I'm sad to see favorites of mine getting so expensive that I'm no longer interested in buying them.

I wouldn't have a Military in my collection if I hadn't managed to snag a DLC one at the online seconds sale. I'd like a CQI example of one but at $230 that's a hard no.

This is one of the reason I have so many Pacific Salts. Being able to pick them up for $40-100 puts them in impulse purchase range.

The silver lining of becoming much more selective with my purchases is really narrowing down on what I like in a knife. It used to be I'd try most models that came out, even if I knew there would be something specific about the knife that would make it less than ideal for me. Now I only purchase knives I feel %100 confident I'll like and want to carry.

Hard to justify $250 for a pocket knife when I could get a handmade damascus sujihiki or a small pistol for that price.
:unicorn
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I would rather deal with MAP with my friends than get a special perk just because of my age . 😉 MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
benben

Post by benben »

I bought three new Spyderco’s Friday that I normally wouldn’t have bought, so there’s where I stand…..
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

I agree with MAP in theory. Though Spyderco prices continue to rise (along with literally everything else), I think MAP is pretty fair to all parties involved and there is some comfort in knowing that, generally, "the price is what the price is" across all retailers.

That said, it cannot be argued against that I love a good deal.. due to sale prices, I've bought more knives this past week (Spyderco & other brands) than I have in the the entire rest of 2022..

I think a hybrid MAP policy makes sense, where MAP remains in effect for most of the year, but MAP-holidays are occasionally granted.. 2-3, maybe 4 times per year? Consumers will appreciate the savings and I'm sure retailers appreciate being able to lower the price on slow sellers (cough $49 rescue 3 @ BHQ cough) to clear out inventory.. Allowing the occasional MAP holiday seems like a nice balance and a win-win for all parties..
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I don't like MAP at all, but accept the need for it. I just think the current MAP is not friendly to Spyderco's best customers. Sure, the dealers could do more to alleviate the issues, but will they?
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
James Y

Post by James Y »

RustyIron wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:51 pm
James Y wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:19 pm

Hey, Junior.

You can get your senior discount off your Grand Slam Breakfast for $1.99 all day at Denny's. The downside is that if you eat that slop, you might not make it to 65 when the good discounts kick in.

I thought there would be some cool discounts when I turned 50, but nada. 55? Zippo. My last hope is for a Spyderco discount in a couple months. As my luck would have it, though, they'll release the Manix 2 CPM-15V a week before my birthday and I'd end up paying full-price like all the other youngsters.
🗡️👴🏻🔪

You know the really cool senior benefit? It was back when Covid was a thing. Costco would open up an hour early for people 60 and older. I couldn't get in by myself, but my wife is two years older. She would have to accompany me. Old People Day at Costco was GREAT. I could zoom the cart through the aisles in record time, and there were no lines at check-out. The exception was the area with vitamin supplements, laxatives, and Depends. There was always a traffic jam trying to get through that area.

🤣

Luckily, I don't eat at Denny's, or any restaurants or fast-food joints. I have to prepare all my own meals to be certain I can avoid any gluten. 🙂 plus, even back when I could, eating fast food or greasy-spoon restaurant food made me feel like crap afterwards.

Yup, it would be nice for a Spyderco senior discount for 60 and up. I'm off buying knives for a good long while, so that discount would especially help in the future...

Jim
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Maybe they should just do away with pricing altogether and give everything away. I'm sure that won't hurt them at all.

Seriously, you're blaming MAP for inflation. Get a grip.