Help with new Dragonfly

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
40mm

Help with new Dragonfly

Post by 40mm »

I’ve carried a serrated Dragonfly Salt for a few years straight but recently sold it. I will be replacing it with a new Dragonfly but going to go plain edge this time. This will be my only pocket knife that aside from a Victorinox Classic and a Douk Douk that lives in my car. What do you guys suggest? Think I might like to try k390 since I love a nice patina or maybe just stick with the salt and keep a course edge on it. Open to suggestions and why you like a certain plaid edge Dragonfly model. I’d LOVE a black coated blade but don’t want to buy two knives to blade swap and make that happen. Let me know what you dig and why. Bonus points if you post pics.
elena86

Re: Help with new Dragonfly

Post by elena86 »

K390 is your best bet since you like a nice patina. For “stainless” I would go with the ZDP189.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

K390
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Wharncliffe PE. The footprint is barely bigger and you get a blade that performs unlike anything else
Tgmr05

Post by Tgmr05 »

These are two of the currently available plain edge dragonfly I carry. There are a couple others I personally carry more, but they are no longer available. The k390 is one I meant to get a while back, and is now back in stock. The zdp189 dragonfly is one I really like, and I am trying to see if the k390 can basically do the same.

It would be hard to say which I prefer, as I have not used the k390 enough to really say.

Tough choice, as the h1 salt is easily maintained/sharpened - a plus for long term reliable use.

abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

K390 gets my vote as well. 20% off at a few dealers tomorrow, check the crazy deals thread. Bonus points pic added.

StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

I'd say get either the regular blade shape or the wharncliffe in whatever steel you prefer. Personally I'd stay away from the hawkbill blade, as I've never found them all the useful.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Tgmr05 wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:04 am
These are two of the currently available plain edge dragonfly I carry. There are a couple others I personally carry more, but they are no longer available. The k390 is one I meant to get a while back, and is now back in stock. The zdp189 dragonfly is one I really like, and I am trying to see if the k390 can basically do the same.

It would be hard to say which I prefer, as I have not used the k390 enough to really say.

Tough choice, as the h1 salt is easily maintained/sharpened - a plus for long term reliable use.

With this combination you have everything covered. Does anyone really need anything in between? :thinking
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
z1r

Post by z1r »

elena86 wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:09 am
K390 is your best bet since you like a nice patina. For “stainless” I would go with the ZDP189.
My ZDP resides in my left pocket everyday. If you can't locate one, the K390 is hard to beat.
40mm

Post by 40mm »

Thanks for the recommendations and pics folks. Sounds like k390 is well liked. I used to carry a Mini Tuff Lite and liked the wharncliffe, but that was years ago and not sure if the standard leaf shape is more versatile for day to day pocket knife duties. Anyone rit dye the blue k390 scales?
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

OD green/black coated Cruwear ;)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

You might find the OD green with black Cruwear blade, there is a carbon fiber with black Cruwear blade, and there is black FRN with a black S30V blade. There is also a pink FRN with a black blade. These are just what I can remember offhand.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
40mm

Post by 40mm »

Well I saw a D'fly wharncliffe in VG10 for $45 on another forum and before I knew what happened I had posted I'll take it. Like I said earlier, I used to carry a Cold Steel Mini Tuff Lite and really liked the small wharncliffe so I'm excited to give it a go. No patina but I'll survive. Thanks for the suggestions.
z1r

Post by z1r »

40mm wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:54 pm
Well I saw a D'fly wharncliffe in VG10 for $45 on another forum and before I knew what happened I had posted I'll take it. Like I said earlier, I used to carry a Cold Steel Mini Tuff Lite and really liked the small wharncliffe so I'm excited to give it a go. No patina but I'll survive. Thanks for the suggestions.
Hard to beat that deal.
CasperFatone

Post by CasperFatone »

If you can find one, the OD green/TiCN Cruwear Dragonfly is my favorite. I got lucky and picked one up for cheap on Reddit knife swap, and immediately decided it would be my forever Dragonfly. For extra points here it is in a family photo with some of my other green Spydies :)

Amateur maker of folding knives and addicted to modding Spyderco knives

Folding Mules- m398 liner lock, Rex76 compression lock, 15v liner lock flipper
40mm

Post by 40mm »

Yea couldn't pass it up. Doesn't have the stock clip so I'll have to track one of those down. I dig the wire clip.
Unbrokenchain33

Post by Unbrokenchain33 »

The G10 dragonfly is superior to all others. Wish they started making that guy in upgraded steels!
40mm

Post by 40mm »

Wanted to ask, how is the tip on the wharncliffe version? I personally don’t love super thin needle tips on knives. Broken some in the past, and on other dragonfly salts I’ve had, I always shorted the blade a hair and dropped the tip to give it a bit more strength. Not that I would snap off an H1 tip, just a preference. Hard to tell from photos, but looks like the tip is fairly stout on the wharncliffe.
Knife arrives tomorrow. How excited are you for me??!!
Last edited by 40mm on Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
benben

Post by benben »

Unbrokenchain33 wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:39 pm
The G10 dragonfly is superior to all others. Wish they started making that guy in upgraded steels!
I have 4 different Dragonfly's, my Foliage Green G-10 is by far my favorite, followed by my ZDP-189, guess I like green? ;)
Blnd

Post by Blnd »

Satin s30v or vg-10 have ridden in my pocket for a decade.