Does your Spyderco knife passion depend on acquiring more?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TkoK83Spy

Re: Does your Spyderco knife passion depend on acquiring more?

Post by TkoK83Spy »

JRinFL wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:46 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:31 am

Grabbed the Fluted CF Native on a Black Friday deal. A knife I've looked at many times over the past few years. Nearly $60 off, I couldn't resist.

Now, that is also because I know I'd be hard pressed to find it for that price again, I've been wanting a Native, and especially wanted to see what this Fluted CF is all about.

Now that you will be a high powered executive ( :winking-tongue ) the fluted CF Native will fit in well. Light and classy with an excellent steel if you need to show the little people how work was done back in the day!

Congrats on the new position and the new knife!
Haha, thanks Jim! Been a wild ride. New management came in, had to do the whole prove myself thing because I don't have some fancy degree, when prior management had a succession plan setup. I'll still be into my knives and continue sharpening others, no doubt about that!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
T-1000

Post by T-1000 »

The problem with spyderco is that as soon as I get one, I start lusting after another one. I would be ok with keeping my military if I had to stop buying knives for some reason though and could only keep one. I think it can do pretty much anything that any other spyderco can do, and I see it as a summation of all the things I love about spydercos.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

At one time, yes, but now I'm really happy with the ones I have. There are ones I'd love to get, but that doesn't affect how I feel about Spyderco.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Meadowlark

Post by Meadowlark »

Nope but when it happens it sure is fun.
Scandi Grind

Post by Scandi Grind »

My Spyderco passion doesn't depend on having one at all... :shush :rofl
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man."

-- Old Norse proverb
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

James Y wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:32 pm
TBH, I own more than enough Spyderco (and other) knives to last several lifetimes. I don't know when or if I'll acquire another knife, including Spyderco. There are a few more Spydies I'd still like to have, but I don't feel any pressure to "have to" have them.

This doesn't affect my enthusiasm for knives. The knife hobby remains *one of* my interests, even if I never buy another. If anything, I'm enjoying the knives I already have more than ever. Because I'm giving myself the time to get to know knives better than if they were just lost in the shuffle of constantly accumulating more. I think that even if I owned only one good Spyderco knife, I'd still be interested in the subject of Spyderco knives in general.
Interesting question.

I find that my passion for Spydercos (and knives in general) derives primarily from using them. A folding knife is my primary hand tool at work, so I really appreciate a good folder... a huge chunk of my livelihood is literally using a knife to cut things. Part of my passion for knives also comes from the martial arts/SD side of things—I trained in FMA when I was younger & while I am not currently actively training, I still have an interest in that aspect of knife use.

So to address the topic/title of this thread, yes, I would still be passionate about Spydercos and knives even if I never bought another one for the rest of my life.

That said, I do buy a lot of knives (at least a couple every year), but the acquisition is done mostly in the spirit of curiosity, to see what new (or new-to-me) designs and materials can offer as work implements and SD tools.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I have enough to justify a collection, possibly an addiction. If I was a niche cutlery influencer maybe I’d feel the pressure. I buy for me alone, it goes in waves.

I love the company and went MIA for a few years. Came back and felt welcomed :) . I’m still a knife nerd, I think it’s too late for me there lol.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I'm happy with the ones that I have but that doesn't mean I won't buy more. I'm always on the lookout for a newer or better model or variant to buy.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

The addiction is real! Buying and selling are critical components for me but there's so much more.
It's not the worst obsession to have.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

I don't even use my knives enough to have any collection, I just like nice tools and I'm a steel nerd.

Honestly I've been cutting cardboard boxes for the sake of it to practice my sharpening and to see if I can tell the difference in use.

I should probably find a favorite model, and get one in every steel and call it a day.

I catch my self eyeing native chiefs and militaries, but since I can't carry them, they'd see no use
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

It started out that way, until I admitted to myself that it would be costly and difficult to acquire all the current and discontinued models that interest me.

So now I enjoy the collection that I have, but still look forward to finding good deals from time to time as budget allows.
dan31

Post by dan31 »

Like most of us, this is a hobby. I carry a manbug for office edc. The larger knives make me feel like a kid. That’s enough to keep me going.

I keep telling myself I have plenty. H1 is on its way out so that’s temping.

Latest quandary, wait for the 4V military or buy a back up 52100 sprint at full msrp? Given inflation over the past 5 years full msrp is looking like a decent deal for what I consider the perfect spyderco. I ponder what to do, for now I wait.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

For a decade I was regularly buying locking folders to try them out and to discover what I liked best. That included some fine folders from other companies, but by the second half of that decade I’d settled on Spyderco and my buying started tapering off.

Now I only occasionally desire a new model, having landed on a range of knives I own and use regularly. There’s a few I’m waiting for that haven’t yet become available, but mostly I’m content with what I have. My favorites are all in-house designs.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Blerv wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:18 pm
I love the company and went MIA for a few years. Came back and felt welcomed :) . I’m still a knife nerd, I think it’s too late for me there lol.
Welcome back!
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Oddly enough if I'd bought a ZDP-189 Endura and a serrated H-1 Pacific Salt way back when, I probably would have never needed any other pocket knives.

But it's nice to know now.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Many years ago (pre-2005), I bought on average about 2 knives per month. Occasionally more.

Now, even if I wasn't on a self-(and circumstances)-imposed stop on buying knives, I would be hard-pressed to actually pull the trigger and purchase any more knives, even ones I think I really want.

I still occasionally post on threads that I would like to have this or that model in such-and-such steel. But years ago, I found that most of the time, when I really wanted to buy another knife, if I waited a couple weeks to a month, by the end of that time, I didn't really want it as much as I thought I did. I figured out that trick several years ago. And while I did buy until the end of last year, my purchases by then had already become few and far between. Now, not buying at all isn't even a mental/emotional hardship. And certainly not a financial hardship.

🙂

Jim
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

With Spyderco being the progressive company that is constantly raising it's own bar of high standards I'll always want to get the next best model with a Supersteel blade>> not to mention new designs, new collaborations and new concepts. Added to that would be the continual flow of awesome Sprint Runs ( Like the Recent Cruwear C-60 Ayoob for instance).

I doubt I would ever being totally content with Spyderco constantly improving on all their cutlery and sharpening tools as well. Needless to say their product line never gets boring.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

I like to think that it doesn’t, but of course it isn’t quite as black and white.
For better or worse, when I become interested in something, I can be a little inpatient in the beginning and acquire gear faster than my level of competence and experience should really allow for. It often involves a fair bit of hit and miss, but it also helps me establish a baseline pretty quickly. From that baseline I figure out my needs and preferences and after that it’s just a matter of reduce, replace and refine.
I could stop buying right now and live happily ever after, but every once in a while life changes or a new model comes along that has the potential to improve on what I already have.

I consider myself to have a bit of opposing personalities, with an almost equal part gear enthusiast and minimalist(intentionalist. Anyhow, this makes my gear accumulation quite self regulating, once I realize I have more than I could possibly need of any category of gear I loose all interest in acquiring more. It’s almost a sickening feeling. I also struggle a bit with consumerism in general, so these days around black-cyber-month I can hardly bring myself to open my mailbox that is totally drowned in advertising. There’s actually a Spyderco or two still on my list, but I couldn’t bring myself to participate in this consumerist loony show. Not in a hurry, and I’m not even sure they’re available in Europe yet.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I'm very interested in knives, I guess you could call it a passion. Yes, I think that I have to keep acquiring additional knives.

I always want a better knife. I never think that I have the best knife, just closer to the ideal knife than my last knife. Until something better comes along I'm stuck with what I thought was good. I have to buy the better knife if I use them for self defense.

I definitely see a progression between what I first bought and what I currently buy. It is all based on knowledge and the more that you know, the better the knife that you are going to buy.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
SchoonerBum

Post by SchoonerBum »

No. I would still enjoy my Spydercos and this community even if I never purchased another one.

Having said that, I am also apparently an irredemable gearhead (and was long before I got into fancy knives) and I enjoy playing with, researching, and testing new tools, whether that means a Magnacut Mule or the sharp edge on a rock that I broke. (Or a new ultralight tent, or pair of approach shoes, or the tiniest flint stick I've ever seen, or...)

So no, my passion does not require buying more knives, but I sure do derive a lot of joy from the process. :smlling-eyes