Magnacut Everywhere (else)...!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bolster

Magnacut Everywhere (else)...!

Post by Bolster »

I browsed through pages and pages of DLT's "newest arrivals" today. I'm such a Spyderco diehard that I seldom look at other brands of knives. What surprised me? Seeing all the knives by other manufacturers offered in Magnacut! They were everywhere!

So I gotta ask the obvious... when do we Spyderco loyalists get some (other than the no-longer-available mule)?
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Bolster

Re: Magnacut Everywhere (else)...!

Post by Bolster »

Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

It is curious. I know Sal has said they are working on an issue in regards to the Salt Native, but I'd be surprised if that's what is holding up other non-Salt models from being released. Maybe they are sitting on a pile of s30v and black G10, so we'll never see the end of that combo?
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i'm really enjoying my mule and looking forward to the m2lw in magnacut, but i can't buy anything right now, so i'm in no hurry.

i did say this before though... how is it we got an assisted flipper in magnacut FROM CASE, but still no production spyderco, despite the mule leading the way and the revealed native salt that all pre-dated the case?
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

JRinFL wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:56 pm
Maybe they are sitting on a pile of s30v and black G10, so we'll never see the end of that combo?

You must be referring to the piles that are sitting behind the pile of VG-10?

;)
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Last I knew Sal said they were still perfecting the heat treat. Others brought it to market pretty quickly, and I too am surprised it's taking Spyderco so long... But in the end they often have the best performing example of any given steel, so it will likely be worth the wait.

I only own one knife in Magnacut (Insingo 31), and so far it has exceeded my expectations after keeping my distance from the hype train.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

It just might be possible that no one else used their first ton of Magnacut to make Mules.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Trying economic times put knife purchases on the back burner for many. Salty MagnaCut folders will be an exception for me. Spyderco's commitment to not knowingly releasing a knife with issues helps me be more patient. When these issues are resolved and the increased capacity of the new Golden facility, hopefully the MagnaCut floodgate will be released in a multitude of Golden folders. High on my list would be a MagnaCut drop point UKPK in PE.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

yablanowitz wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:56 pm
It just might be possible that no one else used their first ton of Magnacut to make Mules.

Hmm...If there was a one ton cap (was there?) the math doesn’t work for me. 2.75 oz each * 2000 mules = 5,500 ounces / 16 = 344 lbs of steel. What about the remaining 1,656 lbs? Perhaps a few Native, Manix, and ParaM blades could be made from the leftover.

skeeg11 wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:00 pm
Trying economic times put knife purchases on the back burner for many. Salty MagnaCut folders will be an exception for me.

Me too. It's one of the few items that would pry my wallet open in the current recession uh, I mean, economic situation.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Bolster wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:32 pm
yablanowitz wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:56 pm

Hmm...If there was a one ton cap (was there?) the math doesn’t work for me. 2.75 oz each * 2000 mules = 5,500 ounces / 16 = 344 lbs of steel. What about the remaining 1,656 lbs? Perhaps a few Native, Manix, and ParaM blades could be made from the leftover.

skeeg11 wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:00 pm
Trying economic times put knife purchases on the back burner for many. Salty MagnaCut folders will be an exception for me.

Me too. It's one of the few items that would pry my wallet open in the current recession uh, I mean, economic situation.
I don't know what the cap was, or what they actually received. I'm pretty sure Sal ordered as much as he could get of the first batch. He used a lot, possibly all of it, in making the Mules to get that steel to us as quickly as he possibly could. Like it or not, steel gets wasted in the manufacturing process. 500 pounds of steel does not make 500 pounds of knives.

But cheer up. When it does become available, you can buy my share, because frankly, I wasn't impressed with it.
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

Magnacut / 15v / … it all does not really matter. Spydies are superior cutting tools in more then just the steel. I know i will not make myself popular on this one but have none of you die hard steel fans ever found out that spydies in s30v that some here call boring out perform so many “Supersteel” knives from other brands?
Stupid example just finished trimming a hedge in my backyard with my vg10 harpy it cut a pickup truck full of branches and its still as sharp as when i began. So have patience the Magnacut will come someday but for now be happy and use all of those other spydies you have they will not let you down!
Who knows they might even impress you so hard you forget magnacut even is a thing.
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Bolster wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:46 pm
I browsed through pages and pages of DLT's "newest arrivals" today. I'm such a Spyderco diehard that I seldom look at other brands of knives. What surprised me? Seeing all the knives by other manufacturers offered in Magnacut! They were everywhere!

So I gotta ask the obvious... when do we Spyderco loyalists get some (other than the no-longer-available mule)?
Soon
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

apollo wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:11 am
Magnacut / 15v / … it all does not really matter. Spydies are superior cutting tools in more then just the steel. I know i will not make myself popular on this one but have none of you die hard steel fans ever found out that spydies in s30v that some here call boring out perform so many “Supersteel” knives from other brands?
Stupid example just finished trimming a hedge in my backyard with my vg10 harpy it cut a pickup truck full of branches and its still as sharp as when i began. So have patience the Magnacut will come someday but for now be happy and use all of those other spydies you have they will not let you down!
Who knows they might even impress you so hard you forget magnacut even is a thing.
Yes, but a lot of people really want some Magnacut knives sitting in their safes apollo. ;)
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

StuntZombie wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:42 am
apollo wrote:
Yes, but a lot of people really want some Magnacut knives sitting in their safes apollo. ;)
Guess you are correct friend! :zany Maybe it can be Sal’s next project Spyderco’s Supersteel made for being the best there is in “display performance ”. ;)
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

apollo wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:17 am
StuntZombie wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:42 am
apollo wrote:
Guess you are correct friend! :zany Maybe it can be Sal’s next project Spyderco’s Supersteel made for being the best there is in “display performance ”. ;)
So maybe dust repelling should be a new steel chart category.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

apollo wrote:
different letters on the side of my blade make me feel better about myself. but seriously... i'm no steel snob, but it's fun to try new things and any time it's a salt, i'm excited. and especially when it's a salt version of my favorite knife, the m2lw.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

yablanowitz wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:24 pm

I don't know what the cap was, or what they actually received. I'm pretty sure Sal ordered as much as he could get of the first batch. He used a lot, possibly all of it, in making the Mules to get that steel to us as quickly as he possibly could. Like it or not, steel gets wasted in the manufacturing process. 500 pounds of steel does not make 500 pounds of knives.

But cheer up. When it does become available, you can buy my share, because frankly, I wasn't impressed with it.
In a vacuum, this comment is not useful. What steels are you impressed with? What disappointed you about MC? Based on your experience, what steels would you lump MC in with?
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I don't lump steels together, I judge each on its own merits. Corrosion resistence ranks below flavor on my personal list of priorities. I don't give a rip whether it will rust or not. If it doesn't hold an edge better than S30V in my use, I'm not interested. CPM Rex76 leaves Magnacut in the dust for me.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

yablanowitz wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:34 am
I don't lump steels together, I judge each on its own merits. Corrosion resistence ranks below flavor on my personal list of priorities. I don't give a rip whether it will rust or not. If it doesn't hold an edge better than S30V in my use, I'm not interested. CPM Rex76 leaves Magnacut in the dust for me.
Thank you. Edge retention is king for many.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
James Y

Post by James Y »

It'll be a good while before I buy another knife again (if I ever do), but I'm partly on the hype train and if I do buy another, I would someday like to try a (Salt) knife in Magnacut.

Obviously, I'm in no hurry. I'd rather that Spyderco really optimize MC in their own way, for their own products. In the same way I'm certain that not all S30V from different manufacturers is the same, I'm fairly sure that not all MC will be the same.

Jim