Magnacut Everywhere (else)...!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RustyIron

Re: Magnacut Everywhere (else)...!

Post by RustyIron »

Bolster wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:08 pm
Stickers now available...get yours today and sleep better tonight!
Bwahahaha! That's pretty funny, yo.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

kennethsime wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:28 pm
Call this anecdotal, or call it what you will, but I'm happy to wait for Spyderco to figure out their heat treat on this stuff.

Right on. Be careful before encouraging a craftsman to finish a job sooner than he wants to. A less-experienced knife maker might hurry the job up at the expense of a quality product. A confident craftsman might tell you, "Sorry, can't do that. Here's your Magnacut sheets. You might try calling Kershaw or Gerber. They'll make you a knife." Either way, you don't get the quality knife you want.
Senfkarte

Post by Senfkarte »

It's not about the HT. They got that down.
sal wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 2:43 pm
FYI, We've got the heat treat of the MagnaCut blade down, thanx to Shawn and Larrin. the holdup is finding the best lock material to work with the blade. we've already nixed 2 different materials and we're now testing the 3rd.

sal
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Bolster wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:08 pm
RustyIron wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:36 pm
Maybe Sal can print up some stickers that say "Magnacut." Until the actual knives are released, the fanboys can stick the stickers over the S30V engravings so they can sleep better at night.

Stickers now available...get yours today and sleep better tonight!
Haha, thank you! Your humor is invaluable. :1stplace:
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Who knew there was more to Spydies than the choice of blade steel!
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
sal

Post by sal »

Hey BeggarSo,

What grit do you use on the TSProf for reprofiling?

sal
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I am more than content to wait until Spyderco says its perfect.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
BeggarSo

Post by BeggarSo »

sal wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:42 pm
Hey BeggarSo,

What grit do you use on the TSProf for reprofiling?

sal
Hi Sal I start with 80 grit Edge Pro Diamond stones using just the weight of the stone with a very ight touch with water and let the diamonds do the work and generally take it as high as 1000 grit running the progressions 400, 600, 800, 1000. To get good results you must use a digital angle cube and recalculate and readjust the devices angle each time you flip the blade and change stones as there are differences and if you don't you will screw up a blade pretty easily.

Fortunately the TSPROF blitz is very easy to adjust I also have the TSPROF Kadet of the two I much prefer the blitz the Kadet is good for knives 6 inches or longer.

As for finished product I am sure I could stop at 600 or 800 as the 1000 while sharp and paper destroying will slide on materials like plastic.

Afterwards I have begun using the Gauntlet with CBN rods again with the super light touch 1st with CBN and Then followed up with the white rods. Honestly after a reprofile I then rely on the Galley V to keep things sharp and have no need to use a fixed angle device unless I get chips or blow off a tip or get rounding on a tip then the fixed angle device comes out to play. :)

Sal I think the sheer genius that went into the gauntlet is really not getting the appreciation it deserves same is true of the Galley V too bad there are not longer CBN cats eye rods for it. I often use the longer rods in the gauntlet. Those elliptical rods really do make a difference. Furthermore your CBN products are great much better then diamond and really make a great ede.
:bug-red-white Those who are wise sharpen their steel to it's chemistry not their beliefs. "BeggarSo" :fortune-cookie
BeggarSo

Post by BeggarSo »

Quick update on Magnacut.

My Bark River Bravo 1 lt from DLT arrived amazingly fast it was here on Wednesday.

I have been using it nonstop for everything including breaking down a turkey. It came in razor sharp and is a great slicer. the finish is a bit odd though and I swear it looks like it is trying to develop a patina.

It might just be the grind but I wonder how heat treat affects this steels corrosion resistance? I could swear I read it had something to do with it. Well it is sitting on the counter after slicing up a lemon lets see what happens.

As far edge retention after breaking down card board and cooking chopping veggies going through cartilage joint etc... is still slicing paper good.
:bug-red-white Those who are wise sharpen their steel to it's chemistry not their beliefs. "BeggarSo" :fortune-cookie
Sharp24/7

Post by Sharp24/7 »

BeggarSo wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:19 pm
Quick update on Magnacut.

My Bark River Bravo 1 lt from DLT arrived amazingly fast it was here on Wednesday.

I have been using it nonstop for everything including breaking down a turkey. It came in razor sharp and is a great slicer. the finish is a bit odd though and I swear it looks like it is trying to develop a patina.

It might just be the grind but I wonder how heat treat affects this steels corrosion resistance? I could swear I read it had something to do with it. Well it is sitting on the counter after slicing up a lemon lets see what happens.

As far edge retention after breaking down card board and cooking chopping veggies going through cartilage joint etc... is still slicing paper good.
Larrin’s article on Vanax said that it needs careful heat treatment or the chromium will form carbides and the insane stain resistance will be lost. Not sure if that’s the case with Magnacut but I’m guessing it’s a factor.
jalcon

Post by jalcon »

I agree, I love spyderco but it is frustrating. Def want some magnacut and might just have to look elsewhere. I'm sure once they do offer it, it'll be great though.
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

I'm just here to say please Magnacut PM2 or Endura, that is all I got!
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut