Magnacut Everywhere (else)...!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JRinFL

Re: Magnacut Everywhere (else)...!

Post by JRinFL »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:52 am
Bolster wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:46 pm
I browsed through pages and pages of DLT's "newest arrivals" today. I'm such a Spyderco diehard that I seldom look at other brands of knives. What surprised me? Seeing all the knives by other manufacturers offered in Magnacut! They were everywhere!

So I gotta ask the obvious... when do we Spyderco loyalists get some (other than the no-longer-available mule)?
Soon
I have no reason not to believe this. The light at the end of the tunnel is the MC train headed this way. :O
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

Good things come to those who wait. It’s nice Spyderco is getting it done correctly instead of rushing it to production.
electro-static

Post by electro-static »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:52 am
Bolster wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:46 pm
I browsed through pages and pages of DLT's "newest arrivals" today. I'm such a Spyderco diehard that I seldom look at other brands of knives. What surprised me? Seeing all the knives by other manufacturers offered in Magnacut! They were everywhere!

So I gotta ask the obvious... when do we Spyderco loyalists get some (other than the no-longer-available mule)?
Soon
I heard you helped with the HT, I know it will be worth the wait.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I'm WAY more excited for a shot at some of that 15V than anything in Magnacut! Sadly, that Manix will likely be the last knife that I end up buying...my days of knife life on borrowed time now :disappointed
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
BeggarSo

Post by BeggarSo »

apollo wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:11 am
Magnacut / 15v / … it all does not really matter. Spydies are superior cutting tools in more then just the steel. I know i will not make myself popular on this one but have none of you die hard steel fans ever found out that spydies in s30v that some here call boring out perform so many “Supersteel” knives from other brands?
Stupid example just finished trimming a hedge in my backyard with my vg10 harpy it cut a pickup truck full of branches and its still as sharp as when i began. So have patience the Magnacut will come someday but for now be happy and use all of those other spydies you have they will not let you down!
Who knows they might even impress you so hard you forget magnacut even is a thing.
Some thoughts since I saw a mention of Chris Reeve knives earlier.

What I have noticed is S30V from Spyderco is that it is always good. My favorite is the Wharncliffe PM2 in S30V carrying it right now and it has not left my pocket since it arrived. The heat treatment on this is spot on perfect.

In fact I like the Wharncliffe so much I also bought it in Satin and DLC in CTS-XHP. Fact CTS-XHP is indeed very much like S30V but it does take a finer edge.

Now if they come out with this knife in Magnacut instant purchase all day long.

I recently purchased the Bark River Bravo1 LT in Magnacut from DLT as it is the first knife in Magnacut to appeal to me. It arrives Friday. Wish I could say a PM2 Wharncliffe in Magncut arriving Friday instead.

Spyderco as far as I remember reading sends the knives out for heat treatment. I have read bad things about some of the early adopters out there not getting the heat treatment correct on Magnacut. In fact I have purchased S30V from other manufacturers as well as S45VN and they run it too soft it makes for a crappy blade by comparison to Spyderco.

I am positive Spyderco wants to be satisfied with a consistent heat treatment before selling product in Magnacut.

Chris Reeve knives are way overpriced for what they are, I know I currently own a large Sebenza 31 in S45VN, a large Insingo Inkosi in S45VN a large drop point Inkosi in S45VN and a Umnumzaan. As you can see I like S45VN. I also like Chris Reeve designs. I also like that at anytime I can sell the knives and get my money back and with inflation well not a bad investment since I purchased before the price hike.

Fact of the matter is the S30V PM2 Wharncliffe in my pocket out performs all of them. The heat treatment is inconsistent on their products as well. The Sebenza 31 being the worst of the lot for sharp edge retention out of all of them the Inkosi Drop point followed by the Inkosi Insingo are the best.

Will I buy another pair of Inkosi in Magnacut? I would be hard pressed to do so as Chris Reeve has a certain following that is not entirely truthful about their blades abilities. During my collecting and selling I have owned no less than 12 Chris Reeve knives earlier stuff in S35VN, I have nothing positive to say concerning how they implemented S35VN. 2 Soft.

Clearly I like Chris Reeve designs but the heat treatment does not compare to Spyderco, Spyderco tends to run steel harder than most. When sharpening the same steel from different companies it is blatantly obvious by how long it take to reprofile using tools like the TSPROF Blitz.

Down side of this is Spydercos are pretty much dedicated slicers which is fine but sometimes I need to pry a battery out of a keyboard and I have blown the tip off of a PM2 In S45VN doing this. Just got to not be lazy and grab a screw driver instead small trade off.

I am looking forward to experiencing Magnacut in the Bravo but more interested in getting a PM2 Wharncliffe from Spyderco in CPM Magnacut.

Otherwise I am inclined to shrug my shoulders and say Meh who cares? Honestly S30V with a good heat treatment and a coarse edge is pretty darn near perfect steel. I am good to go waiting for Sal and Company to be satisfied with their implementation of Magnacut and will purchase when available.

Completely unrelated but worth mentioning because once the factory edge is off the Bravo in Magnacut I will be bringing the edge back with this method.

Try this. Get yourself a Spyderco Gauntlet with the CBN Rods and the White Rods. Don't be concerned with their only being 1 fixed angle you can easily adjust around that.

Pick one of your Spyderco knives in S30V Paint your edge with a marker.

Adjust your position on the CBN rods with a super light touch and give your blade 10 to 20 passes per side check out the edge it will be sticky and sharp then follow up with the white rods the same. It will retain the coarse sharpness but refine it a bit reducing the snagginess (Is that a word)

This will create a fabulous long lasting edge that only requires a few touch up passes now and then to bring it back.

After spending thousands of dollars on this hobby with different sharpening systems, stones, diamond plates, strops, belts etc....

My final opinion is if you have a TSPROF Blitz for reprofiling and the Gauntlet with CBN Stones and White rods that is it , it is all anyone would ever need.
:bug-red-white Those who are wise sharpen their steel to it's chemistry not their beliefs. "BeggarSo" :fortune-cookie
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

👍
vivi

Post by vivi »

That's the type of edge I like most. I create a shaving sharp apex on a coarse reprofiling stone like a 200-300 grit diamond plate, then run the knife through the sharp.aker once or teice per side on the fine rods. Hair popping sharpness with enough teeth to not slide when slicing plastic heavy duty pallet straps.

I can echo everything you said about Spydercos S30V. Might be "boring" to some but it has never let me down since I started using it around 2007.
:unicorn
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:06 am
I'm WAY more excited for a shot at some of that 15V than anything in Magnacut! Sadly, that Manix will likely be the last knife that I end up buying...my days of knife life on borrowed time now :disappointed
No way buddy ! Sneak out into shop , say you got some trouble shooting to do, be a hands on Boss ! Use the powers of problem solving ! You can do it ! Buddy Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

StuntZombie wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:42 am
Yes, but a lot of people really want some Magnacut knives sitting in their safes apollo. ;)
Maybe Sal can print up some stickers that say "Magnacut." Until the actual knives are released, the fanboys can stick the stickers over the S30V engravings so they can sleep better at night.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

my favorite youtube tabletop reviewer said he knew a guy whose friend's boyfriend chipped s30v while batoning through an engine block, so he doesn't like it and neither do i. i don't want a knife that can't handle an engine block. it's not like it's abuse. if it can't even handle that, how is it going to cut my amazon packages open without breaking in half?
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

RustyIron wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:36 pm
Maybe Sal can print up some stickers that say "Magnacut." Until the actual knives are released, the fanboys can stick the stickers over the S30V engravings so they can sleep better at night.
:rofl

seriously though, i think it's going to be a popular steel, especially among those that don't need to break down an entire warehouse of boxes every day.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I think Magnacut is going to surprise a lot of people in regards to edge retention. Reportedly at 4V level with great corrosion resistance to boot. People seem to be very pleased with 4V, Vanadis4E, and Cruwear. Seems like it will be on that level maybe better edge retention depending on heat treat with the added corrosion resistance. Not to shabby. Time will tell, but I think it will be a well loved steel once it has had some time on the market. At least Spyderco's version.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Part of Spyderco’s popularity is their willingness make so many steels available to their fans. So, throwing shade at those of use who prefer steels other than s30v, is throwing shade at Sal and Spyderco.

If you have no interest in MC, then you do not have to hang around. Start a thread about how much you adore the world’s best steel, s30v. Surely it must be the best, what with all the diehard fans popping up in every MC thread. Don’t even start about “balancing the hype” around MC. Those of use who were around when s30v was coming up sure had to deal with endless hype.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
vivi

Post by vivi »

one can be both excited for new steels while acknowledging current steels are sufficient for most users needs. they aren't mutually exclusive.

being a salt fan I'm very interested in MC, but H1 or DLC S30V are good enough for my needs.
:unicorn
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Great discussion, thanks all.

Thanks in particular Shawn for your succinct answer "Soon." You're on the inside loop, and so that's a comforting response.

Regards the (admittedly compelling) "Wait till Spyderco gets the heat treat right" comments: I am unaware of any evidence that Spyderco got the heat treat on the quickly-produced Magnacut Mules wrong. Haven't heard any complaints about the MC Mule's HT.

Regards the general perspective that "any steel will do," I'd say, in the voice of Leonidas: "THIS IS SPYDERCO!" And you know what happens next. And please buy my 440A knives while you're down there.

Regards the preference for harder/stronger steels than Magnacut, that's totally understandable and defensible. For my use, Magnacut hits a sweet spot. Yes, Yablanowitz, I will gladly buy your MC mules from you. Much appreciated.

Regards the idea that Magnacut's primary function is for self-esteem enhancement, I'd submit that Freudian psychology went out of fashion in the 1940s. Furthermore, I don't go around showing the type of my knife steel to people--nobody in my circle cares. If anything, the opposite--they think I'm odd for my steel fascination.

Regards a MC sticker to put on my blade...sure! I already have the centerfold of Larrin Thomas pinned to the wall of my shop, so... why not? I'll take two!

:zany
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

RustyIron wrote:
StuntZombie wrote:
Yes, but a lot of people really want some Magnacut knives sitting in their safes apollo. ;)
Ooh..I could probably afford a sticker!
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Nobody in my real life circle cares about my Spydercos or their steels either. That is just one of the reasons I like to hang out here, in my internet Spyderco circle.
Ranger_Ike

Post by Ranger_Ike »

StuntZombie wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:25 pm
RustyIron wrote:
StuntZombie wrote:
Ooh..I could probably afford a sticker!

Could somebody test these stickers and give me a scale from 1-10 on stickiness rating? I’ll be using my knife to cut marshmallows and don’t want the stickers peeling off.

Yours truly,
MC Fanboy #8

(I was told to “say 8” by a strange looking man in a hospital gown)
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

RustyIron wrote:

Stickers now available...get yours today and sleep better tonight!
Attachments
IMG_6696.JPG
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I have one knife in Magnacut, and another very similar knife in CPM 3V. While the Magnacut knife holds an edge just fine, and is certainly a great knife, I find it doesn't like to get sharp quite as quickly as 3V.

Everytime I go to sharpen a Cruwear knife it gets reals sharp reals fast, which I quite enjoy. It also holds the edge reals well. Sure it were nice if it were a bit more stainless, but I don't have any complaints as-is.

Call this anecdotal, or call it what you will, but I'm happy to wait for Spyderco to figure out their heat treat on this stuff. My regular super steel knives are still working just fine.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.