Obscure But Yet Extremely Cool Past Models

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Obscure But Yet Extremely Cool Past Models

Post by JD Spydo »

Today I was going through a couple of my older Spyderco catalogs as I do every so often. And a some older, past models being what I consider really obscure, but yet cool and admired models that really grabbed my attention. One is the C-57 ZOWADA model and the others are the fixed blade SPOT model and SPUR model as well. None of these made it big at the box office but I personally always found them to be intriguing.

The Zowada model is one that I think was a victim of being ahead of it's time. The ZOWADA model was one I was always intrigued with but never got much fanfare. The other two models I mentioned just never really got any traction for whatever reason. Now I'm sure a bunch of you long time Spyder Brethren also have had models that you've considered to be "obscure" and overlooked>> but yet really cool models. It would be so interesting for you all to name some of the ones you consider to be obscure but yet really cool.

And I think I'll also throw that Breeden RESCUE model in the mix as well. I think if that model would have been available with TEETH it would have sold much better IMO. I'm really interested to see which past models you all thought were cool but never made it big on the sales charts.
Enactive

Re: Obscure But Yet Extremely Cool Past Models

Post by Enactive »

The Schempo Kris is my fave.

I also got to handle an original NIB OG bone Jess Horn, which is also an all time classic.
Ranger_Ike

Post by Ranger_Ike »

I really like the looks of the bolstered Schempp Persian. Not sure how sales went or how old it even is, but it just looks so good. And it looks like it would be a really good edc knife.
Ranger_Ike

Post by Ranger_Ike »

Enactive wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:37 am
I’ll agree that the Kris does look really cool!
MileHiKnifeGuy

Post by MileHiKnifeGuy »

:bug-red-white One of the things that I always found to be frustrating is that knives don't have a longer run before they are pulled to never be seen again. I understand all of the manufacturing limitations to keeping so many models available and current but I would love to see sprint runs of some of the older models.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

My sense is that Spyderco is very good about re-releasing discontinued models-- but mostly they have not been models I've been interested in acquiring. I do have at least 5 models that are re-releases of discoed models, all acquired new in the past 4 years.
Dunc5

Post by Dunc5 »

My first Spyderco was a Scorpious , I loved it and the shape reminded me of a dolphin. I had to sell it when my kids were younger and my wages low to pay the bills. I have a Stainless Delica now which is the closest I can find to it. I really miss the Scorpious though
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Dunc5,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

New rule: Can't post a "cool past model" unless you show a photo of it, too!
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Dunc5

Post by Dunc5 »

sal wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 1:22 pm
Hi Dunc5,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Thank you Sal , I’ve been a Spyderco fan for years and recently re fell in love with them again. I have several models now and I think the Para 3 is my favourite but my next holy grail is the native salt but they seem to be pretty elusive at the moment
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

the original stainless steel handle poliwog is a pretty darn obscure looking little knife, for having a simple 2” utility/edc blade shape similarly featured on a lot of other models, everything else about it is really functionally unique.
:bug-red-white
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Ranger_Ike wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:45 am
Enactive wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:37 am
I’ll agree that the Kris does look really cool!
What I've always found interesting about the KRIS model is that when it was in the main line up it didn't get much fanfare. But ever since The KRIS model got discontinued it seems to be slowly but surely gaining popularity over the years. It's most definitely on my list as a candidate for a Sprint Run.

Right now I've got the ZOWADA, KRIS and possibly the JD Smith all 3 as new Sprint Run candidates. However the JD Smith was sort of popular in it's day. The JD Smith is not a really obscure model like some of these others we are talking about.

Another Recurve model which I've also considered as "obscure" among the old school Spyderco models is the SPYKER model. I like it about as much as I do the KRIS. I would love to see what both of those recurves could do with TEETH.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

JD, I'd love to see many of the old models come back, but I have to ask myself if I'm willing to pay $400 or so each to see it? Would I pay $300 each?
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

JRinFL wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:11 pm
JD, I'd love to see many of the old models come back, but I have to ask myself if I'm willing to pay $400 or so each to see it? Would I pay $300 each?
Well the C-60 Cruwear Ayoob seems to be flying off the shelves at $200+. Some of these older models were truly awesome designs that maybe just need some updated materials i.e. newer/better blade steels and upgraded handle materials.

Not sure if the C-60 Ayoob would qualify as an obscure model because it always had a dedicated cult following. The ZOWADA always intrigued me as a really super upscale design but yet it never was a hit on the sales charts. But oh how I would love to see a C-57 Zowada model with Cruwear, M390 or even M-4 blade for that matter. And add a really classy Micarta handle and I'm sure it would probably sell at least as good as the Cruwear Ayoob has done so far.

Not sure what a KRIS model with a facelift would cost but I bet it's one model that could be done successfully and be affordable at the same time.
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

I've always liked Chris Knutson's Introvert, it's basically a folding version of the Swick:
20221007_132751.jpg
20221007_132751.jpg (22.76 KiB) Viewed 1831 times
grasshopper

Post by grasshopper »

I’m in agreement with JD, the ZOWADA was definitely ahead of its time.

Another obscure model that doesn’t (to me) get much recognition is the
Vesuvius model. Early adapter of the compression lock and a good size blade.
Maybe because it was done in FRN instead of micarta?
c113cf caly3, c134 g.bradley ,c90 cf stretch,
c55 starmate, c66 vesuvius(x2), c39 mini-dyad
c56 zowada, c11cf delica, Spyderco (Wegner) Mouse,
c49 wegner jr, c83 persian, ladybug (x2), C101 Manix2
c05 standard(x2), c65cf Lum Chinese, c48 wegner, jester(x2)
Skidoosh

Post by Skidoosh »

I like the captain, I picked up a used one that's in pretty bad shape but love the design, I'd love to see an updated steel on it.
remnar

Post by remnar »

I agree with whoever it was that said we need pictures. I'll try to help: Here's a sprint run Zowada from 2010.

remnar

Post by remnar »

The rarely seen Impala by Ed Scott is a cool design and so is the Ocelot by Tim Wegener. Both have jimping toward the tip of the blade to allow for better traction when your pointer finger is resting on the spine. The Impala also comes with a version that has a gut-hook where the forward jimping is located.

Enactive

Post by Enactive »

A few pics of the Kris.
PXL_20220930_005545645sm.jpg
IMG_20200717_191207sm.jpg
PXL_20220819_000420550sm.jpg
PXL_20220930_005523739sm.jpg
PXL_20221009_000933973sm.jpg