Obscure But Yet Extremely Cool Past Models

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
rgc

Re: Obscure But Yet Extremely Cool Past Models

Post by rgc »

remnar wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:27 pm
The rarely seen Impala by Ed Scott is a cool design and so is the Ocelot by Tim Wegener. Both have jimping toward the tip of the blade to allow for better traction when your pointer finger is resting on the spine. The Impala also comes with a version that has a gut-hook where the forward jimping is located.

I would love to see the Impala return in a sprint run with something like Cru-wear or MagnaCut or heck I would be happy with CTS-XHP.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Skidoosh wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:14 pm
I like the captain, I picked up a used one that's in pretty bad shape but love the design, I'd love to see an updated steel on it.
Actually I think you've got a case to make declaring the C-111 Captain an "obscure" but cool model. Because it had such a narrow fan base that only the most hardcore Spyderco fans ever got a Captain model. If they would take both of those Jason Breeden models ( Breeden RESCUE & C-111 Captain) and reintroduce them both in full SE. Both of those models would truly excel in performance if they had a Spyderedge.

I'll add both of them to the list to consider for the next Sprint Run.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

remnar wrote:
The rarely seen Impala by Ed Scott is a cool design and so is the Ocelot by Tim Wegener. Both have jimping toward the tip of the blade to allow for better traction when your pointer finger is resting on the spine. The Impala also comes with a version that has a gut-hook where the forward jimping is located.

I used to own all three of the variants of the Ed Scott IMPALA model. They came in plain edge, Combo edge and also with a GutHook like you mentioned. My Guthook version was a combo edge. It is an extremely functional folder and is ideal for use as a "hunter/folder".

I think it may qualify as an Obscure model. Because it wasn't on the main line up very long at all. And that baffles me because this IMPALA model is a terrific hunting knife.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Bring back the Barong !!!
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

elena86 wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:47 am
With Ed Schempp also being the creator of the KRIS as well as several other unique Spyderco models and many of them do fall into the "obscure" category. Even though his designs are brilliant for the most part it seems that the majority of them fall into obscurity. Also his Kukri model was another model that really got attention until it was discontinued.

I think it's fair to say that Ed Schempp has produced more "obscure" Spyderco models than anyone else up till now. However his Persian models seem to have enduring popularity and those being an exception. Most of his designs are highly specialized and for certain purposes.
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

remnar wrote:

I don't think I've ever seen that Ocelot before; that's pretty cool!
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
vivi

Post by vivi »

Laguiole, one of the few spydies without an opening hole.

Not my personal cup of tea, but I always thought it was a very interesting model.
elena86 wrote:
As long as more than half the blade is sharpened this time :rofl
:unicorn
elena86

Post by elena86 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 6:29 am
elena86 wrote:
With Ed Schempp also being the creator of the KRIS as well as several other unique Spyderco models and many of them do fall into the "obscure" category. Even though his designs are brilliant for the most part it seems that the majority of them fall into obscurity. Also his Kukri model was another model that really got attention until it was discontinued.

I think it's fair to say that Ed Schempp has produced more "obscure" Spyderco models than anyone else up till now. However his Persian models seem to have enduring popularity and those being an exception. Most of his designs are highly specialized and for certain purposes.
I didn’t want to mention the Persian because it’s an open wound for me. I owned a small black micarta Persian and was stolen. That knife was a jewel and well loved.One of my most treasured spydies.(I know who did it but the guy left the country. I keep “praying” for his safe return). I would kill for a denim(powder) blue micarta small/large Persian in SPY27. Just bring’em back !!!
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I would be excited for the small Persian to return, but it would have to be pinned and with bolsters.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Michal O

Post by Michal O »

Kris is cool, Navaja, Persian and Lava is on my list too.
Current collection: Lil Temperance G10, Shaman, Lil Native, Massad Ayoob cruwear, Smock, Street Beat, Street Bowie, Para 3, PM2 purple G10 cruwear, Canis, Rhino, Endura 4 K390, Watu, Kapara, Amalgam, Sliverax, Police 4 se K390, Police 4 pe K390, Khukuri, Barong, Ulize.
benben

Post by benben »

That Ocelot is very cool, if I ever see one at a show you can bet I'll snatch it up!

I have a Wegner Jr. and I've said it here several times before, I'd love to see an updated version of the Jr. and the large Tim Wegner.
Basko00

Post by Basko00 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:17 pm
remnar wrote:

I used to own all three of the variants of the Ed Scott IMPALA model. They came in plain edge, Combo edge and also with a GutHook like you mentioned. My Guthook version was a combo edge. It is an extremely functional folder and is ideal for use as a "hunter/folder".

I think it may qualify as an Obscure model. Because it wasn't on the main line up very long at all. And that baffles me because this IMPALA model is a terrific hunting knife.
I’d buy an Impala Sprint. I’m all about functional knives.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I've always been very drawn to the Ocelot. I'd love a Cru-carta version.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Dialex Battlestation. They were plentiful and then they weren’t. Delica sized tanto tank
DerRock

Post by DerRock »

The predecessors of the C90 Stretch are the C13 ProVenator and C33 ProGrip (later both - ProGrip). They are already back in an updated form, but they are beautiful in their own right.

Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I do really like the Impala and Ocelot too!

This may be somewhat off-topic, I’m realizing, however, I’m determined to mention that a little bit ago I briefly suggested Spyderco make an XL stretch, but a drop point Salt Series version, and call it the “Riparovenator”.

The name is Latin and intended to mean “Riverbank Hunter”. That would be a callback to the Provenator, a reference to water because it’d be a Salt, and also an interesting convergence on a newly described Spinosaurid dinosaur (a personal interest, but Spyderco/Byrd does have an interesting history regarding dinosaurs).

The dinosaur, which has the scientific genus name Riparovenator, had somewhat crocodile-like jaws and likely hunted both terrestrial and aquatic prey in a coastal or riparian environment. Honestly, the shape of the snout of Riparovenator and the other dinosaurs related to it (Spinosaurs), just kinda looks like what a Stretch XL drop point’s blade would.

When I get over to my computer sometime later, I’ll edit in a link to a piece about the dinosaur if anyone happens to be interested in the context of my ramblings about it.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Mr Blonde

C125 Khukuri

Post by Mr Blonde »

The folding Khukuri by Ed Schempp appears to be becoming 'obscure'. It's definitely cool and practical.

https://youtu.be/nvgDWcmFwTs

My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
Bolster

Re: C125 Khukuri

Post by Bolster »

Mr Blonde wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:49 am
The folding Khukuri by Ed Schempp appears to be becoming 'obscure'. It's definitely cool and practical.

The only thing that kept me from purchasing a Khukuri was I thought the ricasso was too short. (Kidding!) Agree that it's a far-out model!

Question: Is there a correlation between "obscure/cool past models" and "past models that didn't sell very well"?
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

DerRock wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:42 pm
The predecessors of the C90 Stretch are the C13 ProVenator and C33 ProGrip (later both - ProGrip). They are already back in an updated form, but they are beautiful in their own right.

I've owned a couple of those "Progrip" models. I gifted both of them to lady friends who found them ideal to carry to work.

The Progrip and Golden, CO Native both seem to be models I find that many females seem to like. The older SPUR model falls into that category as well.

Another example of brilliant Spyderco "In House" designs that truly raise the standards of the industry.
araneae

Re: C125 Khukuri

Post by araneae »

Mr Blonde wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:49 am

https://youtu.be/nvgDWcmFwTs

It was a knife so odd you had to hold it to understand. I love mine, but do not carry it for fear of losing it...
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal