Obscure But Yet Extremely Cool Past Models

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
z1r

Re: Obscure But Yet Extremely Cool Past Models

Post by z1r »

Lol. Yeah, I like the auto open aspect fer shure.
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

StuntZombie wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:28 pm
mark greenman wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:02 pm
FRN Cricket. This completely changed the game for the Cricket, as it massively improved the knifes grip and made it faster to deploy, while still remaining quite compact. My #3 favorite Spyderco Design, and probably the most useful design for urban EDC tasks I encounter.

I rate it as 'obscure' because I can't recall anyone every posting that they carry or like this version other than myself.

I think the FRN Cricket is way overdue for a comeback in either a leaf shaped or wharncliffe blade.
The Cricket profile Reverse-S is what makes this knife magic.

Its a less extreme, utility oriented R-S compared to say the Civilian or Matriarch.

The key is the deep belly that is in line with the hooked tip. You get the hook tip, which is fantastic for certain tasks (popping zip ties, getting hair out of a vacuum cleaner roller) but you also get the deep belly, which makes pull cutting across plastic sheeting or cardboard a dream with SE. The belly is such that multiple SE scallop/spikes are touching the material at once, which really aids in the pull cutting.

For 95% of urban EDC tasks, that SE Cricket-S blade profile is magic.

The FRN version is especially cool because you get much more grip then the very thin stainless handle. But also because the knife is held closed pretty loosely, so the knife can be 'wrist flicked' open very reliably without using the thumb hole, which greatly aids rapid deployment for such a small knife.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

z1r wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:43 pm
Larry_Mott wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:46 pm
z1r wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:57 am
Picked up a Sub-Hilt Saturday. What a beast. Thinking hard of having the conversion done. I'll snap some pics this evening.
I'm sure glad I did. "In time" R.I.P. Butch!

Nice, congrats!

I heard that one of the sons is continuing on and will do the conversion. I have not reached out yet to verify. Regardless of whether I can get it converted, it is one heck of a knife! How do you like it since conversion?
Yes, at least one of the sons/grandsons are still doing the conversions. Kyle(?) i think, but don't quote me on that..
It does add another "dimension". It fires with authority! And totally stealthy :)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
JD Spydo

Re: C71 Salsa

Post by JD Spydo »

Mr Blonde wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:15 am
I think the C71 Salsa is pretty obscure to many newer spyderfans. It was Spyderco's first foray into Taiwan production back in the day. I think they're very cool though, kind of like smaller friendlier lil' temps.

That Titanium SALSA was my favorite of all the Salsa models. And it was the only one with an ATS-34 blade that I'm aware of. IT is strange that those SALSA models were really popular for about a year or so and then they quickly went into obscurity.

But that Titanium version was extremely functional and one Golden Era model that I deeply regret selling. I've never had the opportunity to find a replacement of that model since I sold it. There really were not that many of the Titanium version ever made I don't think. Because those are really tough to find at all anymore. Yeah that one qualifies as "Obscure and Cool" both.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

mark greenman wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:02 pm
FRN Cricket. This completely changed the game for the Cricket, as it massively improved the knifes grip and made it faster to deploy, while still remaining quite compact. My #3 favorite Spyderco Design, and probably the most useful design for urban EDC tasks I encounter.

I rate it as 'obscure' because I can't recall anyone every posting that they carry or like this version other than myself.

There was one of the Cricket models I liked even more than that FRN model. I had two of the Carbon Fiber handled Cricket models at one time and now I down to one. And it's a safe queen at this time. I really loved many of the Carbon Fiber handled models from that era. Also I even more deeply regret selling both of my Carbon Fiber HARPY models. You just don't see those CF Harpy models anymore at all in the past 5 years.
olywa

Post by olywa »

Nice to see the Ocelot pics. It was my first Spydie and I still have it but lost the box in a move years ago. Super ergos and backlock action but don't use it for game processing. Getting dried blood out of those cat tracks is a royal pain.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Thanks for the info on the conversion. Nifty.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

olywa wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:33 am
Nice to see the Ocelot pics. It was my first Spydie and I still have it but lost the box in a move years ago. Super ergos and backlock action but don't use it for game processing. Getting dried blood out of those cat tracks is a royal pain.
Yeah that was my big gripe with the OCELOT model. If you got fish guts or any animal blood in those tracks it was a major job to clean it. An OCELOT Sprint Run with a solid Micarta handle would really appeal to me.

I sent you a PM in regards to a box for the OCELOT.
Accutronman

Post by Accutronman »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:42 am
There was one of the Cricket models I liked even more than that FRN model. I had two of the Carbon Fiber handled Cricket models at one time and now I down to one. And it's a safe queen at this time. I really loved many of the Carbon Fiber handled models from that era. Also I even more deeply regret selling both of my Carbon Fiber HARPY models. You just don't see those CF Harpy models anymore at all in the past 5 years.
You mean one of these…they’re still around
Attachments
B2295E8F-A633-4DFE-B53E-9C8FD947F6E3.jpeg
04F9841D-44A8-4481-BF6A-9AC44C7BF3D7.jpeg
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I still carry mine. Had it last week.

cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Yeah, very nice, but Tasman Salt is also.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Accutronman wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:41 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:42 am
You mean one of these…they’re still around
Just like Jack Nicholson said in the movie "The Shinning">> "You Don't Have To Rub It In Mr. Grady" :flushed

But on the other hand I'm really happy for you. I just wish I could snag another one for EDC uses. I've looked in many pawn shops and flea markets but no cigar as of yet. Or maybe by some strange miracle we could get the General to do another Run of the CF or G-10 Harpy at some point.
remnar

Post by remnar »

I saw that someone mentioned the Lava in an earlier post. Here's a photo for those that haven't seen one:

One obscure model is the Leaf Storm. It's not the most ergonomic Spyderco but I love this little knife.

A lot of people probably don't know about the Superleaf. Unique enough to be cool but probably too similar to other models to get enough sales to keep it in the catalog.

cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

The Superleaf was great. I think it had something like 4mm thick blade stock, for whatever that is worth.
JRinFL

Re: C71 Salsa

Post by JRinFL »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:37 am
Mr Blonde wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:15 am
I think the C71 Salsa is pretty obscure to many newer spyderfans. It was Spyderco's first foray into Taiwan production back in the day. I think they're very cool though, kind of like smaller friendlier lil' temps.

That Titanium SALSA was my favorite of all the Salsa models. And it was the only one with an ATS-34 blade that I'm aware of. IT is strange that those SALSA models were really popular for about a year or so and then they quickly went into obscurity.

But that Titanium version was extremely functional and one Golden Era model that I deeply regret selling. I've never had the opportunity to find a replacement of that model since I sold it. There really were not that many of the Titanium version ever made I don't think. Because those are really tough to find at all anymore. Yeah that one qualifies as "Obscure and Cool" both.
I bought two in that era and wanted a titanium model, but could not justify the cost at the time. I seem to remember lots of complaints about the comp lock pinching some peoples fingers. It never happened to me, or if it did, it did not register in my mind as an issue. I know the comp lock has gone through many iterations over the years to resolve that complaint and others.

A button comp lock would be awesome on a slightly less tall Salsa Mk. 2! :O
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I’d still love a Breeden Captain sprint. Or a Rhino Lil Temp of either generation.

Obscure and weird are my main collecting criteria.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Blerv wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:21 pm
I’d still love a Breeden Captain sprint. Or a Rhino Lil Temp of either generation.

Obscure and weird are my main collecting criteria.
Brother I can't tell you how bad and for how long I've wanted to see the C-111 Captain model return in full SE. In my humble opinion I do believe that a serrated version of the Captain would sell four times as good as the plain edged model did. That model would be so useful with TEETH.

For that matter both of those Breeden models needed TEETH. The Breeden RESCUE I think could have been a permanent model if it had been made in full SE. I loved both designs but both of them should have been available in full SE from the beginning in my humble opinion.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

I am an extremely cool past model
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

VashHash wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:47 pm
I still carry mine. Had it last week.

Gave my best friend one. He still has it. Great knife!!!
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I checked, you're still current.