Efficient drawing of clipped pocket knives

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Efficient drawing of clipped pocket knives

Post by vivi »

In both the Caly discussion and the Military thread a subject has come up that I don't think gets enough discussion.

How the method of drawing your knife influences the clip orientation and knife size you prefer.

Specifically, there has been discussion surrounding the Military not being a good candidate for tip-up due to the length of the handle.

While I no longer own a tip up Military, I do have a comparably sized Police 4.

https://streamja.com/XWB3y

This is significantly slowed down compared to how I normally draw it, but the point is to show the way I draw my Police minimizes the need to shift my grip to access the spyderhole.

Here is a comparison video showing how I see most folks draw their knives VS how I do it.

https://streamlala.com/bmjnT/

Most people seem to pinch the exposed rear end of their tip up knives, so of course they'll have to make a big grip adjustment. I'm not sure why they do that.

I stick my thumb deep into my pocket and can have it resting on the opening hole before I've even got it unclipped on this Pacific Salt.

For comparison here I am drawing a stock Military: https://streamlala.com/Jm1q7/

Even though it makes less of a difference with tip down, I still feel more in control of swinging the handle into my grip when I jam the web between my thumb and index finger into the lip of my pocket.

So I think by changing how you draw your tip up knives, you may find yourself comfortable with larger folders.
For the Military tip-down makes a lot of sense. It is a large knife with a long handle, and tip-down puts your thumb near the Spydie hole as you pull it out of the pocket for quick access. No need to "shuffle up" the handle to get there like with tip-up. The clip nestles into a vacant spot at the base of the fingers and disappears in use. It is a very well thought-out design.
This was the main post that inspired this thread. I think looking at my videos back to back, for me the Military carried tip down clearly requires more grip adjustment after the draw that a comparably sized tip up knife.

Millie - https://streamlala.com/Jm1q7/
Police - https://streamja.com/XWB3y

It is this experience that makes me feel the concerns over carrying a Millie tip up are unwarranted - especially when one considers the Millie 2 will still offer tip down carry for those that prefer it.

This is also one of the reasons I don't care for low carry clips on larger knives - they don't work the same as say, a Caly 3 sized knife.

With the Caly 3's deep carry clip I could still get my thumb on the opening hole prior to unclipping it. If the Szabo folder had the exact same clip and clip placement, it would have felt awful.

There's a lot more to making larger folders than loading a 3" blade design in photoshop and increasing the size proportionally.

Sometimes I wonder how folks that feel like the quoted post draw their knives. I also wonder how many of them have actually tried a tip up Military? It carries quite well, better than tip down IMO:

Same with the Para 1

In fact I can't think of a single Spyderco I'd rather carry tip down than up. It's less comfortable reaching into my pocket, it requires shifting my grip more to unclip and to re-clip the knife, it has a greater impact on ergonomics for me, and it exposes the pivot to dirt and debris tip up carry protects it from.

YMMV, but I'm switching the Military 2 clip to tip up immediately if it doesn't come that way from the factory. And I'm willing to bet we're going to see more of them setup that way.

Look at any four way Spyderco model posted here, whether it's a smaller knife like a Delica or a larger knife like the Police 4 - it is exceptionally more common to see them setup for tip up carry.

For some reason folks think the Military won't work well that way - and I have no idea why.
:unicorn
Bolster

Re: Efficient drawing of clipped pocket knives

Post by Bolster »

Really good tutorial and explanation, thanks! More times than I care to admit, I'm a "shuffler." Especially on a long knife like the Native Chief. Pinch, pull, shuffle shuffle shuffle, open = slow. I'm going to try to put your instruction to good use and speed things up.

Someday, someone will invent a pocket clip that springs loose when you touch a release point. Then we won't have the "drag the pants up" part of the draw as the clip clings tenaciously to the rim of the pocket. Some of my clips are so tight I give myself a wedgie just drawing the knife.
Last edited by Bolster on Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Agreed, except: I will likely put a Lynch NW deep carry clip on my Millie 2 as soon as I can.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

It depends on the length of your thumb.

I wear a size L or XL glove. Even with a tip-up PM2 with standard clip my thumb does not reach the opening hole when I reach in deep. It is not gonna happen with a tip-up Miltary or Police either... :winking-tongue
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
standy99

Post by standy99 »

I carry tip down and usually put thumb it Spyderco hole and have it halfway open leaving the pocket. But being a butcher for nearly 20 years it is to me accustomed to pulling a knife out of a kit that you carry for 10 hours every day…

But really rarely use the clip as I pocket carry due to usually wearing gym style shorts
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Debates aside it seems like the Spydiedrop method has been lost to the ages. I can adapt to either of these scenarios and on some knives I don't have a choice, but I'd bet I can draw and open a Military from tip down as fast or faster as anyone can from tip up by doing the Spydiedrop, and it puts the knife right in your hand with almost no repositioning at all especially if you use the choil.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
vivi

Post by vivi »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:10 am
Debates aside it seems like the Spydiedrop method has been lost to the ages. I can adapt to either of these scenarios and on some knives I don't have a choice, but I'd bet I can draw and open a Military from tip down as fast or faster as anyone can from tip up by doing the Spydiedrop, and it puts the knife right in your hand with almost no repositioning at all especially if you use the choil.
spydie drop requires a lot of hand repositioning, especially if you don't use the choil. When you draw a tip down knife and spydie drop it you have to flip it upside down to spydiedrop it. Its slower than drawing a Military or Police tip up for me (We can time ourselves on video if ya want), and it gives off negative vibes in certain public settings.

I'm quite proficient at it but it's still two steps behind a simple tip up draw for me. I don't have to flip my knife upside down to open it fast when I carry tip up.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Brock O Lee wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:46 am
It depends on the length of your thumb.

I wear a size L or XL glove. Even with a tip-up PM2 with standard clip my thumb does not reach the opening hole when I reach in deep. It is not gonna happen with a tip-up Miltary or Police either... :winking-tongue
100%, but I think some people out there aren't drawing the way you and I are, and if they did I think they might be comfortable with a slightly larger sized knife.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Yeah what was I thinking 😂
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
dan31

Post by dan31 »

I would say tip down works best for rear pocket carry. Endura or longer in the rear pocket I prefer tip down. Front pocket I am being converted to tip up for the Endura or PM2. I’m trying to like it.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

vivi wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:52 am
Evil D wrote:
spydie drop requires a lot of hand repositioning, especially if you don't use the choil. When you draw a tip down knife and spydie drop it you have to flip it upside down to spydiedrop it. Its slower than drawing a Military or Police tip up for me (We can time ourselves on video if ya want), and it gives off negative vibes in certain public settings.

I'm quite proficient at it but it's still two steps behind a simple tip up draw for me. I don't have to flip my knife upside down to open it fast when I carry tip up.
This makes absolutely no sense to me, and I learned to do the "spydiedrop" before Sal started making knives. First time I saw it done was with a Buck 110 in 1978.

Of course, I'm old and am starting to learn to plan ahead a little, so speed of deployment isn't very important to me.
vivi

Post by vivi »

dan31 wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:27 am
I would say tip down works best for rear pocket carry. Endura or longer in the rear pocket I prefer tip down. Front pocket I am being converted to tip up for the Endura or PM2. I’m trying to like it.
Where you carry definitely makes a difference. I don't like carrying the stock Military in my right front pocket, but it works well IWB or in that side pocket you can see on my brown shorts in the video.

Never was wild about it in the rear pocket like a lot of folks are. It gets hung up on my pocket where the spine jimping is unless I rotate it a certain way as I draw.
vivi

Post by vivi »

yablanowitz wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:29 am
vivi wrote:
Evil D wrote:

This makes absolutely no sense to me, and I learned to do the "spydiedrop" before Sal started making knives. First time I saw it done was with a Buck 110 in 1978.

Of course, I'm old and am starting to learn to plan ahead a little, so speed of deployment isn't very important to me.
What doesn't make sense to you? To spyderdrop a knife, the tip needs to be pointing up. If you draw a tip down knife from your pocket, the tip is pointing down.

https://www.instagram.com/p/3RRSxcKlEw/ ... 86C4563625

It's not about tactical ninja operator SEAL deployment speed to me, just making things more efficient that I do repeatedly.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Spyderdrop (Buck drop) can be done with the knife level and the point horizontal. I've just done here with a Manix2 & K390 Police LW, so I know it works. Super lightweight handles might need the point more vertical since it is an inertia opening.

I just tried with a Pac Salt and was able to get to about 80% open, but the action is gritty on mine. I need to flush it. The Tasman hawkbill was not successful do to the lightweight.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

vivi wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:48 pm
<clip>

Most people seem to pinch the exposed rear end of their tip up knives, so of course they'll have to make a big grip adjustment. I'm not sure why they do that.

I stick my thumb deep into my pocket and can have it resting on the opening hole before I've even got it unclipped on this Pacific Salt.

<clip>
That is very similar, if not the same way, that you are meant to grip the P'Kal before the draw*, minus the roll to get it to me edge in. Those of us with normal thumbs (haha) can do that on the P'kal, but would have difficulty with the Police, Military, or similar sized knives.

*With regards to thumb position being down and along the knife body. If you use the wave you would not put the thumb in the hole.

Edited for clarity, I hope.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Guts

Post by Guts »

Hadn't thought too hard about this before, but I've always grabbed my knife as you do vivi, except I generally have a deep carry clip so there is a bit of adjustment for me regardless after grabbing the knife. It's one of the reasons I prefer scales with a good texture rather than smooth scales. But yeah, no way my thumb is long enough to line up with the thumb hole on say a PM2 with a deep carry clip after grabbing it :grin-sweat. I do usually open the knife with my middle finger though, unless I only need a small bit of the knife edge, then I use my thumb.
:bug-red-white :bug-red :bug-white-red
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

vivi wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:33 am
yablanowitz wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:29 am
vivi wrote:
Evil D wrote:

What doesn't make sense to you? To spyderdrop a knife, the tip needs to be pointing up. If you draw a tip down knife from your pocket, the tip is pointing down.

https://www.instagram.com/p/3RRSxcKlEw/ ... 86C4563625

It's not about tactical ninja operator SEAL deployment speed to me, just making things more efficient that I do repeatedly.
Probably just terminology. Tip down knife in pocket. Thumb and index finger pointing down, grasp blade by Spyderhole. Thumb is aligned with blade. Pull up on knife to draw it and raise that hand. Handle and blade tip are now pointing up, thumb is still aligned with blade. Flip knife down to swing handle open and into the other three fingers. Thumb is still aligned with blade. No "flipping upside down" is involved.
vivi

Post by vivi »

oops double post.
Last edited by vivi on Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vivi

Post by vivi »

yablanowitz wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:42 am
Probably just terminology. Tip down knife in pocket. Thumb and index finger pointing down, grasp blade by Spyderhole. Thumb is aligned with blade. Pull up on knife to draw it and raise that hand. Handle and blade tip are now pointing up, thumb is still aligned with blade. Flip knife down to swing handle open and into the other three fingers. Thumb is still aligned with blade. No "flipping upside down" is involved.
Yeah we're in agreement I just worded it wrong. I made it sound like you have to toss the knife up and flip it around. I was just pointing out that a tip down knife has to be adjusted so the tip doesn't point down prior to the spyderdrop.

Slowed down spyderdrop - https://streamja.com/5qQO0

Regular speed spyderdrop - https://streamja.com/119B6

Showing how out of positioning my hand is for using the behind the choil grip after a spyderdrop, an issue I do not have with my tip up draw - https://streamja.com/RW9Q7

To me that's a lot of extra motions compared to my Police - https://streamja.com/XWB3y

So I can spyderdrop a tip down knife just fine, but it's draw, adjust, open, adjust, cut. While my Police is draw, open, cut. I like simple.

But more important than draw speed to me, is in pocket ergonomics. This is the main reason I'm excited for a factory tip up option on the Millie.

It's hard to design a really narrow and smooth pivot area when you use opening holes with jimping. Much easier to design a more narrow rear end, like the change from the Endura 3 to Endura 4 handle shape. That's the thing I like best about the Pacific 2 vs the 1, the more narrow rear end.

This really only matters when carrying right front pocket for me. Non-issue when using the side pocket on these shorts, IWB, etc., which is how I typically carry my Millies.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I’ll have to actually assess how I draw my pocket knives and get back to you (I never really gave it much thought).

As long as I can have the knife in my pocket and draw the knife while climbing a tree, without dropping it, it’s good to go for me.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool: