Awesome wire clip adapter!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JRinFL

Awesome wire clip adapter!

Post by JRinFL »

I took the liberty of copying this post from Guts from the Pictures forum to the main forum because it deserves more attention. Very well executed adapter Guts!
Guts wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 1:48 pm
JRinFL wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:46 pm
Guts wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 6:59 pm
My Maxamet and SPY27 examples

I'm surprised no one mentioned the 3d printer wire clip adapter on these knives. Maybe I missed in another thread. I'd like to know more!
Ha, thanks for noticing :beaming-face
It's not an original idea, I've seen a couple others utilize the lanyard hole for something more useful like this ;), but hadn't seen anyone do it quite like mine I suppose. I've seen people cut the recesses into the scales directly to accomplish the same thing, but that wasn't something I wanted to do in case I screwed up. I originally designed one of these adapters for my Lil Temperance 3 since there's no one making deep carry clips for that model after searching for a couple weeks and confirming with Casey Lynch and MXG gear that their Native 5 clips wouldn't fit. I own a 3D printer obviously and I've been teaching myself a bit of 3D modelling so this was the exact kind of thing I bought a 3D printer for.

The Native 5 clip setup is very similar to the LT3, just the hole spacing is different so that was an easy adjustment in the design. I've posted about the adapter I made for the LT3 on the forum here a couple times, but yeah no one seemed to care lol. Understandable since it's not a super popular model and is discontinued, but maybe that'll change with the new LW FRN version releasing soon.

Anyway, it's basically a small piece that sits on top of the scales with the cutouts for the wire clip, then utilizes a chicago screw post setup through the lanyard hole to secure the wire clip in the same fashion that factory models with the wire clip secure it. I think the best part of my approach is it doesn't require any permanent modification to the scales like I've seen others do to accomplish the same thing, so the knife is easily returnable to the factory setup. I've also made the adapter for a Delica 4 and Para 3 G10 as well, but honestly I think it works best with the clip setup like on the Native 5 and LT3 due to the placement of the clip screw holes in relation to the lanyard hole. The Delica version didn't pan out as there wasn't enough space to work with and the Para 3 version I didn't test much since I already had a Lynch clip for it. But yeah, that's the story of that adapter.

Cheers
Edited to improve title.
Last edited by JRinFL on Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Crox

Re: Awesome clip adapter!

Post by Crox »

This is brilliant.

I have spent some time trying to think through best way to use a wire clip on more knives without cutting. I really love this solution.

Kudos Guts. Are you willing to share? I have a 3d printer and would be interested in trying immediately.
Guts

Post by Guts »

Hey thanks for the shoutout JRinFL.
Thought I'd share a few more photos in that case.

Here's a better shot of the adapter on my LT3 and Native 5. As you can see, utilizes two of the factory clip screws to secure the adapter and prevent any rotation.

Opposite side showing the screw post. I filed down the screw on the LT3 and think it looks better, but I was too lazy to do that again on the Native 5.

Here's a shot with the one I made for the Para 3 G10 and the LT3 using a Manix 2 clip to test (this was pretty early on). I switched to a smaller retaining screw later for the LT3. Not sure the Para 3 one would've worked well with where the screw post ends up sitting and it holds the clip a little too high. Not much more space to move the clip up further in the design without making the adapter stick out from the bottom of the knife.
:bug-red-white :bug-red :bug-white-red
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I should really stop sitting on all of the ideas that I have because I drew up a concept for one these years ago!
-Nick :bug-red
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Guts wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:42 am
Hey thanks for the shoutout JRinFL.
More awesomness! :1stplace:
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Mushroom wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:54 am
I should really stop sitting on all of the ideas that I have because I drew up a concept for one these years ago!
You seem to already have a lot on your plate, but I have an idea. Just give up sleeping and gain an extra 7-8 per day. Think of all the ideas you could bring to life! :thinking :winking-tongue
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Mushroom

Re: Awesome wire clip adapter!

Post by Mushroom »

I wish time was the issue! That would be an easy fix.
-Nick :bug-red
Guts

Post by Guts »

Crox wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:12 am
This is brilliant.

I have spent some time trying to think through best way to use a wire clip on more knives without cutting. I really love this solution.

Kudos Guts. Are you willing to share? I have a 3d printer and would be interested in trying immediately.
Hey Crox, I posted the files over here if you wanted to give it a try https://www.printables.com/model/314408 ... mperance-3. I was a little hesitant to share just cuz I'm not sure how durable it would be so try it at your own risk. I'll say that the LT3 version hasn't broken on me yet and I've been using it the longest. Just don't screw it in too tight I suppose so it doesn't crush and weaken the adapter.

I should also mention to anyone who is going to try it out, you'll likely have to bend the wire clip a bit to get the tension right. Since the wire clip is sitting on top of the grips instead of nested inside them like on a factory setup, they're just not tensioned for that from the get go.
sal

Post by sal »

Hey Guts,

Very nice. Can I get you to send one to me? I have my own clips. Bed sure to include an invoice.

Spyderco,
attn: sal glesser
820 Spyderco Way
Golden, Colorado 80403

'Thanx,

sal
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

sal wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 2:07 pm
I have my own clips.
:rofl that's the funniest thing i've read all day. great stuff. that's super cool of you to support a member's innovation too.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Guts

Post by Guts »

sal wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 2:07 pm
Hey Guts,

Very nice. Can I get you to send one to me? I have my own clips. Bed sure to include an invoice.

Spyderco,
attn: sal glesser
820 Spyderco Way
Golden, Colorado 80403

'Thanx,

sal

Hi Sal,

Wow I never would have thought you would be interested in something I made! I'll see about sending you a few adapters for the Native 5 and Lil Temp 3 for you to try out this weekend for sure :smlling-eyes
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

Very cool.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Good idea. Piggybacking with a couple other threads, I wonder if something like that would work for the Ladybug/Manbug.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Guts wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:42 am

Very clever, Guts. Do like. Congrats on a great execution.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Guts

Post by Guts »

Thanks guys.

@cabfrank. I had wondered the same thing re: the Ladybug/Manbug, but the problem I ran into is those models don't have any clip screw holes, only the lanyard hole. The adapter as I designed it uses the clip screw holes to prevent the clip/adapter from rotating when installed. I had thought of another way that could work for the Ladybug/Manbug but never ended up trying it out since I usually just toss my Ladybug in my pocket anyway. I may revisit it eventually.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

That makes sense.
Iktomi

Post by Iktomi »

Guts wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:34 am

Hey Crox, I posted the files over here if you wanted to give it a try
Thank you! Very creative.