Caly Series. What's Next?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Re: Caly Series. What's Next?

Post by vivi »

zdp caly 3 / vg10 caly 3 / ukpk og run / zdp caly jr

ukpk with the deeper choil, deepest carry and full screw construction was my favorite of the bunch.

Caly 3 vs misc knives

:unicorn
vivi

Post by vivi »

ukpk insides and vs misc knives

Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Yep, sure wish I was around for the Caly Jr's. BentoBox has one but I can't do that price. Would be nice to see new production ones again.
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:20 pm
JSumm wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 3:53 pm
p_atrick wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 3:36 pm
Where does the Caly name come from anyways?
Evolved from the Calypso series. Jr. (C52) and Calspso (C54). Not sure the original meaning or origin of Calypso.
Calypso was daughter to Atlas Titan in Greek mythology. Great comparison shots , gives some to think about the models in a different light . Superb job . MG2
Does that make Sal the bearer of the universe? :winking-tongue
"Some call me...Tim?"
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

Caly and calypso is a pretty cool name for these knives. I would be interested to hear from sal on the meaning(if there is one) behind picking the name calypso for the original knife in the series. I know calypso is also is the word for a style of Caribbean folk music. Possibly could be in reference to that ?
:bug-red-white
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Tristan_David,

Names are very challenging and we try very hard not to use any names that our competitors are using. Calypso was selected because there were a number of meanings that could be attached to the name, it has a nice sound, and it was a clear name, in that it was not being used. As mentioned, Caly was an evolved name from Calypso. I think we'll be making more Caly variations as the maker is back and producing.

sal
vivi

Post by vivi »

That's great news, Sal!

In the meantime I'm thinking about re-visiting my old favorite, the UKPK. Salt this time. Only question is what color(s) to dye it? Already got a line on one of the yellow versions :cheap-sunglasses
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Dark Maroon or Crimson variation would look great Vivi!

Sal, that is great news! Excited to see what variations we will see in the future. I still think a SPY27 Blue G10 Caly 3.5 would be a huge success.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Just imagine something like this in SPY27. Caly 3.5

- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Right on the money Jeff ! Great news Sal ! MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

sal wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 1:00 pm
Hi Tristan_David,

Names are very challenging and we try very hard not to use any names that our competitors are using. Calypso was selected because there were a number of meanings that could be attached to the name, it has a nice sound, and it was a clear name, in that it was not being used. As mentioned, Caly was an evolved name from Calypso. I think we'll be making more Caly variations as the maker is back and producing.

sal
Hey Sal! Thank you for replying and giving me that insight, I think you picked a really solid and iconic name, I also love to hear you talk about how the Caly series is your baby, these knives are just so you and pure classic spyderco persuit in design usefulness. the handle ergonomics and edge/blade geometry on all the Caly knives hooked me on them being my favorite pocket knives.

Very happy to hear they’ll be back soon.
:bug-red-white
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I've been carrying my Caly 3.5 for the past few days. It's a classic IMO
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Caly series is my favorite.

When brought back, hope the mfg will fix the lock rock that occurs in some Calys.

I recall when the Caly series was current, it was thought "Calypso" referred to the reclusive Greek nymph --literally, "she who conceals." Which is, of course, one of the great attributes of the Caly. With a slim profile, deep carry clip, and the rounded butt end, it disappears in a pocket, doesn't advertise itself, easy to conceal.

Worn inside the waistband with the clip threaded under a belt, it's virtually invisible. For years I worked in a rough neighborhood, carried my Caly 3 daily, and of the thousands of people I interacted with, nobody was the wiser that I was well knifed.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

A famous painting of the goddess Calypso, indicating, at minimum, that we need some purple-handled Caly knives, since she obviously favors purple.
Attachments
Hitchcock,_George_-_Calypso Lite Sm.jpg
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Bolster wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:22 am
A famous painting of the goddess Calypso, indicating, at minimum, that we need some purple-handled Caly knives, since she obviously favors purple.
Purple handled Cruwear DLT exclusive sounds great!
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
elena86

Post by elena86 »

sal wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 1:00 pm
Hi Tristan_David,

sal
Please Sal, tell us which is your fav carry from the bunch ? My instinct tells me it’s the 3.5 😏
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
elena86

Post by elena86 »

JSumm wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 1:49 pm
Just imagine something like this in SPY27. Caly 3.5

Are you trying to provoke me a heart attack ? I would kill for a denim blue 3.5 in SPY27!
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Marius,

Now I'm enjoying the Caly, 4.0" prototype.

sal
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Sal Caly 4 is a brilliant extension of your design. I look forward to it . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Sweet Merry Christmas to us all.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005