Caly Series. What's Next?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Re: Caly Series. What's Next?

Post by vivi »

sal wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:55 pm
Hi Marius,

Now I'm enjoying the Caly, 4.0" prototype.

sal
Very interested to see the changes VS the C54.
:unicorn
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

There have been some really impressive models in the CALYPSO series of Spyderco's great "In House" designs. But still the two at the very top my list are the C-54 Calypso ( the big model) and the C-52 Caly Jr for prime EDC usage. I carried my Burgundy ZDP-189 Caly Jr for over a year and it was like having a straight razor in my pocket.

Many of Spyderco's collaboration models are sure nice but never overlook several of Spyderco's "In House" designs. They are among my favorites.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Did someone say Calypso?

Bolster

Post by Bolster »

I think that's ^ the most Caly goodness I've ever seen in a single photo! What a treasure! Which are your favorites?
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

If you zoom in close, you can see the serrated C54BMS above the Sprint version is missing a few teeth. That one has been carried and used more than all the others put together. Love that thing. Thin and light, yet comfortable to hold and use, and an absolute beast of a cutter.
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

So never having handled a Caly Jr. It look like the handle is wider than on a current production Caly, is that true?
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Bemo wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:50 am
So never having handled a Caly Jr. It look like the handle is wider than on a current production Caly, is that true?

Width of G10 Caly 3: 9.25mm.
Width of CF Caly 3: 9.20mm. (Assuming same as current production 3.5.)
Width of FRN Caly Jr: 10.15mm.

Measurements avoiding rivets screw heads and clips. So the FRN Caly Jr. is just under 1mm wider than either the CF or G10 Caly 3.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

I always get messed up on which dimensions are which and I guess that depends on how the knife is oriented. So if it was on it's spine, how tall would be the handle in relation to a Caly 3.5? Sorry for the confusion.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

The Calypso Jr. Is noticeably wider at the pivot/choil area than the Caly3 or 3.5. Laying on its spine, the handle is taller on the Jr. Put another way, the index finger choil is not as deep, which is why I have 8 Juniors (the Superblue didn't make it into that picture) and one Caly3 (which only gets out of the box for an occasional photo). My fingers are long enough to be more comfortable with the wider "neck".
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Thanks Yablanowitz, that helps greatly and confirms my eye test. I would probably love the Caly Jr, reminds me of the N5 a little. I prefer the "taller" more hand-filling designs. But it's all moot at this point, but thanks for humoring me.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Bemo wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:26 pm
Thanks Yablanowitz, that helps greatly and confirms my eye test. I would probably love the Caly Jr, reminds me of the N5 a little. I prefer the "taller" more hand-filling designs. But it's all moot at this point, but thanks for humoring me.
You are not the only one. I was thinking the same thing looking at those pictures.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Bolster wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:17 am
Worn inside the waistband with the clip threaded under a belt, it's virtually invisible.
This is exactly how I carry them! You are right they disapprear IWB. I put a black wire clip on the blue UKPK S110V, and it turns invisible when carried this way with blue jeans. Also it is not prone to rust when worn close to the skin.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Nate

Post by Nate »

Brock O Lee wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 1:40 am
Bolster wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:17 am
Worn inside the waistband with the clip threaded under a belt, it's virtually invisible.
This is exactly how I carry them! You are right they disapprear IWB. I put a black wire clip on the blue UKPK S110V, and it turns invisible when carried this way with blue jeans. Also it is not prone to rust when worn close to the skin.

Me three. Still have a fairly large collection of Spydercos, but a UKPK rides iwb like 99% of the time for me.
:spyder:
scout

Post by scout »

Sal,
I’ve been looking for a bigger knife. A bigger Caly sounds great! The one thing that I was worried about is that when you increase blade length, it is very hard to keep the ideal clip to pivot to hole ratio. Is it possible to make an adjustable clip? How about lengthen the wire clip slots larger so one could slide the clip up for deep pocket carry or slide it close for ease of quick opening.
Thank you for you being here for us, scout
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

scout wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:57 pm
...when you increase blade length, it is very hard to keep the ideal clip to pivot to hole ratio. Is it possible to make an adjustable clip? How about lengthen the wire clip slots larger so one could slide the clip up for deep pocket carry or slide it close for ease of quick opening....

Can you enlarge on this a bit? I understand the critical hole-to-pivot dimension, but I don't understand how the clip relates to ease of opening?
scout

Post by scout »

Depending on the size of your hand, some blades are easier to open because of the ability to reach the hole. For me, knives like the Caly 3.5 are very quick to open because my thumb naturally settles on the opening device or hole. Bigger knives can have a long distance to the opener making it necessary to shift your grip for opening. This can make the opening slower because you have to shift your grip.
If anyone can elaborate further, please chime in and help me clarify this notion.😎, scout
vivi

Post by vivi »

scout wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:40 pm
Depending on the size of your hand, some blades are easier to open because of the ability to reach the hole. For me, knives like the Caly 3.5 are very quick to open because my thumb naturally settles on the opening device or hole. Bigger knives can have a long distance to the opener making it necessary to shift your grip for opening. This can make the opening slower because you have to shift your grip.
If anyone can elaborate further, please chime in and help me clarify this notion.😎, scout
This is also completely dependent on how you draw your knife. See my upcoming thread.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

The Caly is my favorite series and I regret sounding a sour note here, but I just did a check of my records, and of the ten Caly3s and 3.5s that I've owned, seven of them had lock rock.

I don't know if 70% matches other peoples' experience, but given that lock rock doesn't occur in so many other Spyderco lockback models, it would seem extremely possible to eliminate it in whatever Calys come next.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Bolster wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:13 pm
The Caly is my favorite series and I regret sounding a sour note here, but I just did a check of my records, and of the ten Caly3s and 3.5s that I've owned, seven of them had lock rock.

I don't know if 70% matches other peoples' experience, but given that lock rock doesn't occur in so many other Spyderco lockback models, it would seem extremely possible to eliminate it in whatever Calys come next.
100% of my Spyderco lockbacks have lock rock and aside from the Chap with an internal stop pin I'm convinced that's just how they are.

I've tested brand new lockbacks from every country Spyderco has made them in, and none of them can pass the cutting board test. Take the ones you don't notice lock rock in and try pressing the tip end of the cutting edge into a cutting board hard and I would imagine there will be play.

It doesn't bother me from a user stand point whatsoever, I just find it odd how many people here are convinced golden co made lockbacks have zero play when I've yet to find a single one over 15 years of buying golden lockbacks.
scout

Post by scout »

Please tell me how to open a Police tip up knife as quickly as a Caly 3. :thinking