Caly Series. What's Next?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JSumm

Caly Series. What's Next?

Post by JSumm »

So I was gifted a Caly 3. Definitely a fan of the Calys. I think they are hard to beat in their respective size range. The 3 will be a dress knife that I will save for a current 7 year old who is into knives (sorry older siblings). One day when he is older and will appreciate it, it will be his. The gifter is a certain forum member and good friend. One of the nicest guys on the forum, so probably not hard to guess.

I think about the Caly series and what is next quite often. I think it is a brilliant design that carries some Spyderco history, but also seems modern and sleek.

The only model currently produced is the CF ZDP-189 version of the 3.5. We know ZDP-189 days are numbered so what is next? There is talks of a LW version in the works. I think this is a good option for an affordable or more affordable version. I still would love to see a higher end version in the mix. Maybe Cruwear and G10. Would love a Sprint Run in SPY27 with Blue G10. I think that would be a hit.

If you have never experienced this model, give it a try. The ergos just melt in your hand. Becomes a part of your hand. I know Sal has mentioned in the past that the 3.5 was made for him. I can see why he likes it.

My personal selfish vision:
1.) LW in VG-10. Maybe gray or dark green. Something besides black. Make it special. K390 version down the road.

2.) High end model in Cruwear and gray G10 maybe.

3.) Sprint run in SPY27 Blue G10.

Either way, I would hate for this model to become a thing of the past. So pardon me if I make my plea once a year to give this model a try. It is really worth it and quite an efficient little/big cutter. Once you try one you will know why it would be a shame to see it disappear.

Random side note:. The Sage looks like an evolution of the Caly Jr and Caly 3. Maybe I'm wrong.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Manixguy@1994

Re: Caly Series. What's Next?

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Count me in for an updated version ! We can be selfish together ! Models are totally deserving . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
vivi

Post by vivi »

I think the line has some of the best ergos in Spydercos line-up.

I used to EDC a Caly 3, Caly JR and UKPK, so I'm very familiar with all the different versions. Had a few full sized Calypsos and a 3.5 as well.

Sal has mentioned what's next is a Caly 3.5 scaled up to a 4" blade. That sounds interesting to me as I no longer carry knives in the Caly 3 to Caly 3.5 size range.

I liked the UKPK the best out of the 3" designs. Deeper choil and deeper carry clip made it more comfortable in use than the 3 or jr for me. I also liked how lightweight it is.

The full sized C54 is an incredible design, one of Sal's best. But personally I can't think of anything it does better than the Chief besides carry a bit slimmer. That said I'll be one of the first to buy the new 4" Calypso and compare it to my Chiefs.

The one that I like the least is the 3.5. Too small to comfortably use behind the choil, but not as nimble as the 3. I'd rather carry a full sized or a 3" version, but that's just me.

To me the Caly line is iconic, and it would be strange to not have any of them in Spydercos line-up.
:unicorn
Capt'n Boatsalot

Post by Capt'n Boatsalot »

I'm in too! Calys are GREAT! I've got a ZDP-189 3 and 3.5, plus the 3 in Super Blue and HAP40.

I'm looking forward to the lightweight project, or any of the proposed upgraded models. Agree it would be disappointing to see this great model disappear.

Curiously, the Caly Jr did not draw me in like the Caly 3/3.5 did.
MNOSD member 0030
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

On my wish list would be a slight tweak to the handle shape so the blade sits further into the handle, to allow for longer sharpening before the tip is exposed. Otherwise I love the Caly 3.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Vivi, you are correct. Sal mentioned a 4" version. I forgot to mention that. He also said in a recent thread JD's what's next sprint) that the Calypso C54 had a revised version that he sees as more improved or refined. They may be the same thing.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
sal

Post by sal »

As Vivi mentioned, I've got a Caly 4.0" proto that we're planning on moving into queue. There is also a 3.5" FRN in-the-works.

The Caly 4.0" is the revised C54.

We'll keep the series with the original maker, but they're a small shop and many of the models take a longer time to get to you. I've also got a Caly 3.5 "Pendant" in-the-works in several materials.

The Caly series is one of my personal "babies" in my design stable history.

What else in this series would be desired?

sal
Spicy Suplex

Post by Spicy Suplex »

I've only held the UKPK in this particular line, but dang guys, I really gotta agree. I've been amazed and a little miffed the last few months owning my first UKPK (Salt of course), because nothing else beats the weight vs. form factor. When I select it day after day you can hear the other knives in the drawer calling the UKPK a teacher's pet. I even jokingly refer to it as the "Calypso Featherweight" sometimes.

Of course, you'll never hear me say something shouldn't be made with SPY27, so that's a fantastic idea right there. Could even start putting it into the UKPK pretty quickly (barring spring interface issues I s'pose)

I love the Caly line and all of its offshoots, so while a 4" version probably wouldn't be for me, I still can't wait to see it get made, because there's a certain fear or sinking feeling when I remind myself the 3.5 is the only one in production at the moment. Thankfully Sal's post made me feel a lot better just now as well ^ Can't wait to see the 3.5 FRN, and anything else that would continue this extremely good looking and extremely useful line of knives
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Well that is great news Sal! However long it takes. Personally, just want this series to stick around for good and not go the way of the Dodo.

Personal dream would be a sprint of SPY27 in Blue G10. I think Sal's steel with one of Sal's babies is a perfect fit.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

My interest in folders has a pretty sharp cutoff at about 3”, so I definitely wouldn’t hate it if the 3 got some renewed love, but I still haven’t gotten around to get a UKPK salt… which may cover that itch entirely, and make it hard to justify a Caly 3 as well.. oh well, who am trying to fool, it would have to be a pretty terrible caly 3 release if I should be able to resist
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I really like the series’ design and I’ll certainly have some myself at some point, but aside from what’s mentioned here already, I don’t know what I want.
Oh, well I guess I have said that full spyderedge, Spy27, and the burgundy/gold bug combo would be desirable to me. I wonder how combo edges as well as all black coated versions would look, now that I’m imagining things.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

If they get back into prime shape again, will moki work with srs13/15 or hap72?

If not, maybe super blue or hap40 in a caly 3.5?
Alexander135

Post by Alexander135 »

Hi Sal,
I would love to see the calys utilizing Spy27. More spydies need to be in this steel imo.
One thing I think would be very important would be a sub 3 inch knife. Maybe bring back the Calypso junior. Many areas have knife laws that restrict the blade limit to under three inches, including some federal installations.
I think a Calypso Junior with G10, and FRN handle options with Spy27 would suit this perfectly.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

The recent Cruwear/grey G10 combo looks nice. Wouldn’t mind seeing more of that. Is the factory that does the Caly the same that did the Ayoob? The Ayoob feels so good in hand. A Caly that is just as solid would be appreciated.
Skidoosh

Post by Skidoosh »

K390 Caly would be awesome. I carry my hap40 quite a bit and I love the slimness of the knife. All around great package. For me the 3 or 3.5 seems to work better than the 4 inch but I'll have to get one and see.
bleasure

Post by bleasure »

For my purposes the Caly Jr. blows the others in this series away funtionally, ergonomically, and aesthetically. It's a larger Dragonfly, which is the highest possible praise. A friend just contacted me looking for knife recommendations, and top of the list I gave them is a DF2. If the Caly Jr. were resurrected, however, it would be that. Especially if the fishscale FRN remained and a wire clip used - I think it'd be unbeatable. It's hard to imagine that not blowing up as an ideal everyday folding knife. Personally, I'd probably grab any revenant version if one appeared, but if there were options for color and steel, that would of course be exciting.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

This is good news about the 3.5 LW and the 4.0, however, I hope the Caly3 isn't forgotten. This is the knife that brought me back to Spyderco. Now, I'm afraid to carry it because getting a replacement if lost would be expensive and difficult.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Rymanz

Post by Rymanz »

I would love to see a resurrection of the Caly 3 in a Sprint or high performance steel. The 3.5 and 4 would be above my sweet spot for folder size. Personal preference would be some other handle material besides FRN, but I realize there would likely be a larger market for the lightweight variant due to weight and cost.
:bug-red
Models: PM2, Endura 4, Chaparral, Para 3 LW, Rescue 3, Para 3, Shaman, Manix 2, Native 5
Steels: Elmax, S30V, XHP, 4V, VG-10, CPM CRU-WEAR, K390, Z-WEAR, S45VN, 204P, REX 45
cjk

Post by cjk »

I've been carrying a forest green HAP40 Caly 3 factory second for most of the last week. I bought it on the secondary market because I am very fond of the UKPK and I like forest green. It has rapidly become a favorite just like the UKPK. For me, the UKPK and Caly 3 are the rockstars of ergonomics in this size range. They melt into the hand.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Glad to hear another Caly is in the works and really hope other models will also come back in the future . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau