Caly Series. What's Next?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
twinboysdad

Re: Caly Series. What's Next?

Post by twinboysdad »

The 3.5 is what sold me on Spyderco. I said long ago “almost an Endura blade in almost a Delica handle”. That said my tastes have evolved and the 3 would be the only one I would want at this juncture. I like small knives and I cannot lie
elena86

Post by elena86 »

bleasure wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 10:32 pm
For my purposes the Caly Jr. blows the others in this series away funtionally, ergonomically, and aesthetically. It's a larger Dragonfly, which is the highest possible praise. A friend just contacted me looking for knife recommendations, and top of the list I gave them is a DF2. If the Caly Jr. were resurrected, however, it would be that. Especially if the fishscale FRN remained and a wire clip used - I think it'd be unbeatable. It's hard to imagine that not blowing up as an ideal everyday folding knife. Personally, I'd probably grab any revenant version if one appeared, but if there were options for color and steel, that would of course be exciting.
Exactly my thoughts ! Great minds think alike 😬 They should bring back the Caly jr. in VG10 but my dream spydie would be a 3 incher Dfly2 !
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

For those of you who brought up the Caly 3, I would agree. It is hard to beat in that size range. I like the Delica and the Native 5, but carrying this around. I would have to say I prefer most features of the Caly. In that size range, I like to have a finger choil. On the Delica, I feel like my hand is going to slip off the back. The Native has the choil, but with a thicker blade stock. Not the end of the world, but the Caly 3 just feels better in hand. It melts in your hand like its bigger brother.

Caly 3, Delica, & Native 5 for comparison.
Again, thanks again my fellow forum member and friend for this 3. It is quite amazing.

For those of you that prefer the midsize, here are some comparisons with the PM2 and the Endela.

And for the 4" that Sal mentioned, bring it on. We need to finish this comparison.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

These latest pictures aren’t helping me save money.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I think the design of Caly 3 (and siblings like the UKPK) is superb. The ergos just works, as does the deep carry wire clip, blade shape and angle. In my view it is better than the Delica and the Native 5.

I'm totally content with the 3 inch size, and not realy interested in the larger versions to be honest. Other models fill that gap for me.

Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

I really like my 3 and 3.5 Caly. But Bleasure's post on the Caly Jr is very persuasive to me since I missed out on these the first time. Regardless, I'll be getting the 3.5LW Caly when it's released but have to say I'm lukewarm on a Caly 4".
vivi

Post by vivi »

Searching for my old posts from when I carried the Caly line. Here's my old ZDP Jr I did a convex zero grind on. Kept taking it thinner and thinner until it chipped out carving knotty woods, then put a little microbevel on it. Absolute laser.

This thread is making me want to order a UKPK out of nostalgia for the model, but I can't picture myself reaching for it over my Pacifics once the newness wears off.....
:unicorn
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

vivi wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:00 pm
Here's my old ZDP Jr I did a convex zero grind on. Kept taking it thinner and thinner until it chipped out carving knotty woods, then put a little microbevel on it. Absolute laser.

This thread is making me want to order a UKPK out of nostalgia for the model, but I can't picture myself reaching for it over my Pacifics once the newness wears off.....
The SB Caly above has a similar zero convex with a micro bevel. I agree it is a laser.
1D625A58-4BE8-43A2-9801-D6636DF2D8C1.jpeg
I often carry a UKPK in waistband when I'm out in public. The S110V version is exceptionally comfy and has not shown any signs of corrosion when carried like this.
Hans

Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Brock O Lee wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:45 pm
I think the design of Caly 3 (and siblings like the UKPK) is superb. The ergos just works, as does the deep carry wire clip, blade shape and angle. In my view it is better than the Delica and the Native 5.

I'm totally content with the 3 inch size, and not realy interested in the larger versions to be honest. Other models fill that gap for me.

That selection of knives is really excellent!
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
vivi

Post by vivi »

Found a ton of photos on my PC, I'll be adding some later.
:unicorn
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

vivi wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:00 pm

Actually, for me it depends upon the time of year. From now through March, the serrated UKPK salt is so freaking light and handy, it's actually kinda cutting into pocket time for my Mantra 2. Part of that may be my being too lazy to switch thing out, tho. :winking-tongue From April through October, bigger blades dominate. Everybody and their uses and applications are different, tho.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Cl1ff wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:31 pm
That selection of knives is really excellent!
Thank you @Cl1ff. :bug-red-white

I need at least another green one to complete the rainbow. I should stop doing that!
Hans

Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

The Caly 3 is a gem, in my opinion, the best pocket knife in its 3” size category, Sal really knew what he was doing with this design. Spyderco, please bring it back into production.
My second favorite in the caly line is the C54, unfortunately I get the feeling this model won’t be brought back unless in limited sprint run, because of the plans to move on to a 4” version of the 3.5. I hope this doesn’t mean the handle width is slimmer than the c54 and more like a longer caly3.5 handle, which I think is a little too slim for it’s overall length. The profile of the c54 is very balanced shape for being a large folder.
Last edited by Tristan_david2001 on Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
:bug-red-white
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Anyone who is still carrying the Leek as the ultimate pocket knife needs to be introduced to the Caly3, which is the same size. The Caly3 is a far, far superior knife, I believe. It disappears in a pocket, too. What is needed is a version with Ti liners and a light weight, too.

I love the UKPK leaf because I loved the Caly3 already. The UKPK has that marvelously slim blade and slim width.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Rymanz

Post by Rymanz »

A lot of love in this thread for the Caly 3. Me likie :beaming-face
:bug-red
Models: PM2, Endura 4, Chaparral, Para 3 LW, Rescue 3, Para 3, Shaman, Manix 2, Native 5
Steels: Elmax, S30V, XHP, 4V, VG-10, CPM CRU-WEAR, K390, Z-WEAR, S45VN, 204P, REX 45
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Rymanz wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:22 pm
A lot of love in this thread for the Caly 3. Me likie :beaming-face
Now just wait a second, don't think the 3.5 is not loved greatly here too. This is an equal opportunity love fest for all things Calified.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Where does the Caly name come from anyways?
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

p_atrick wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 3:36 pm
Evolved from the Calypso series. Jr. (C52) and Calspso (C54). Not sure the original meaning or origin of Calypso.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

JSumm wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 3:53 pm
p_atrick wrote:
Evolved from the Calypso series. Jr. (C52) and Calspso (C54). Not sure the original meaning or origin of Calypso.
Calypso was daughter to Atlas Titan in Greek mythology. Great comparison shots , gives some to think about the models in a different light . Superb job . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:20 pm
JSumm wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 3:53 pm
p_atrick wrote:
Calypso was daughter to Atlas Titan in Greek mythology. Great comparison shots , gives some to think about the models in a different light . Superb job . MG2
Thanks Dan! I wasn't sure about the name origin. Didn't want to guess. BTW, this 3 is great!
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005