Caly Series. What's Next?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
remnar

Re: Caly Series. What's Next?

Post by remnar »

There's so much Caly awesomeness in this thread but I didn't see my favorite Caly. Let me fix that. MORE BOLSTERS! :grin-big eyes

I did see this one but you can never have too much super blue... :tonque-out

vivi

Post by vivi »

scout wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:48 pm
Please tell me how to open a Police tip up knife as quickly as a Caly 3. :thinking
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=93657

could be tougher with smaller hands, granted.
:unicorn
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I don't think zero exists in manufacturing. It is just tolerances. It appears that Golden lockbacks have tighter tolerances. They appear to have less noticeable lock rock, so they give the impression of rock solid usage. I think that is why so many people swear by them. I have to admit, I like the tighter tolerances that I perceive the Golden lockbacks to have.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
vivi

Post by vivi »

My Golden lockbacks do have less lock rock than my Seki FRN knives but there is still some rock.

Doesn't bother me in the slightest, but this forum gave me unrealistic expectations.

I went a long time between golden lockbacks. Pretty sure I went straight from the C95 Manix to the Chief. In between I read countless posts about zero play golden lockbacks, only to find out they apparently don't exist. Tested about 200 different lockbacks since that first Chief too.

Ah well, the Caly series is great regardless. Wonder how soon the 4" Caly will be ready to show off to the public?
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

vivi wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:20 pm
Bolster wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:13 pm
The Caly is my favorite series and I regret sounding a sour note here, but I just did a check of my records, and of the ten Caly3s and 3.5s that I've owned, seven of them had lock rock.

I don't know if 70% matches other peoples' experience, but given that lock rock doesn't occur in so many other Spyderco lockback models, it would seem extremely possible to eliminate it in whatever Calys come next.
100% of my Spyderco lockbacks have lock rock and aside from the Chap with an internal stop pin I'm convinced that's just how they are.

I've tested brand new lockbacks from every country Spyderco has made them in, and none of them can pass the cutting board test. Take the ones you don't notice lock rock in and try pressing the tip end of the cutting edge into a cutting board hard and I would imagine there will be play.

It doesn't bother me from a user stand point whatsoever, I just find it odd how many people here are convinced golden co made lockbacks have zero play when I've yet to find a single one over 15 years of buying golden lockbacks.

Maybe we need to calibrate, for sake of the conversation. Lock rock isn't really binary, it comes in degrees, right? So to be more precise, I'll say that 70% of my Calys had enough lock rock that it was quite noticeable and a little bothersome; for 30% the lock rock was either negligible or for all practical purposes, not noticeable. It was easy enough for me to determine the difference -- the lock rock I'm referring to isn't subtle.

And I'm not putting the knives to a rigid test like tip on a cutting board...I'm just pinching the locked blade with my left hand's fingers, handle in the right hand, and if I can wiggle the blade up and down by a few millimeters, that's enough lock rock I think to myself, "That shouldn't be there; other Spyderco lockbacks don't do this."

I would put all my other Spyderco lockbacks in the category of "not enough lock rock to be noticeable, or no lock rock" (with my simple test above): Manix lockbacks, Native, Chap, Persians, Kris, Sage lockback, Chinook, Kopa, Stretch. I would ditto those people who have observed the Golden models have so little rock that it's below the threshold of noticing in daily use. Whereas many Calys are afflicted.

When the tip of the blade moves several mm with a light pull on the blade, yeah, that bothers me a bit. Not enough to scotch my love for the Caly, but enough that I wish the Caly could at least be as solid as other Spyderco lockbacks. I'm not looking for perfection, just, enough rigidity that it's not so noticeable.

Bottom line: If the new Caly could be built with the same amount of blade rigidity as Spyderco's other lockback models, that would be dandy.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

remnar wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:50 pm
...MORE BOLSTERS! :grin-big eyes

Yay! More of me!
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
vivi

Post by vivi »

That could account for why my experiences differ from yours. To me there is either lock rock or the blade does not move any perceptible amount.
R100

Post by R100 »

I agree with both Bolster and Vivi. All Spyderco lockbacks - including my 3 Golden models - except the Chap have lock rock. On the other hand it is also not binary for me. My Caly 3.5 has such pronounced lock rock which is so easily instigated that I cannot enjoy using it. I like the design but won't buy another iteration unless this issue is fixed or at least reduced to normal Seki levels.

Dan
remnar

Post by remnar »

Bolster wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:17 pm
remnar wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:50 pm
...MORE BOLSTERS! :grin-big eyes

Yay! More of me!
YES! :thinking :grin-smiling-eyes :bug-red-white
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Christmass is closing. There is only one question for me : should I ask Santa to bring me a LW Caly 3.5 ? I was good in 2022… most of the time.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

elena86 wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:27 pm
Christmass is closing. There is only one question for me : should I ask Santa to bring me a LW Caly 3.5 ? I was good in 2022… most of the time.

Don't lose faith in Santa if he doesn't bring you a LW Caly by Christmas. Word is that Santa is currently enlarging his factory, and that's delaying the production of various new toys.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Actually the above posting of mine is off-key. The factory expansion may be a non factor since Golden doesn't make the Caly.

The Caly family as you all know is a Moki knife, from Japan. I've spent the last half hour reading through a forum search of "caly+moki" and have noticed a number of times it's been hinted, or said outright, that the reason the Caly series almost vanished from the lineup (save the still available Caly CF 3.5) has nothing to do with a lack of sales or interest; it has to do with the Moki mfgr falling on hard times, particularly regards quality control. Reading between the lines (my interpretation! I could be wrong here) it sounds like Spyderco didn't want to make a big investment in the Caly line until Moki was able to turn things around. And Spyderco is loathe to pull a model from a manufacturer, for reason of keeping relations with contractors in good shape. SO, given all this conjecture on my part, it may mean that the coming Caly LW series signals a return of Moki to good order.

I hope so. I'll still be checking my new Caly LW knives for lock-rock, but I am optimistic!

Footnote: My casual research seemed to indicate that Moki vastly prefers (and may only work with) Japanese steels. So if Moki is still the mfgr, there may be a lot of steels we can cross off the list of potentials.

Hey! My research and knowledge of this area is mediocre at best; it's worth less than you paid for it. So please correct me if I'm in error here.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I think you are correct Bolster. I wouldn't mind seeing some Hap40.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Rymanz

Post by Rymanz »

I decided to pick up a Caly 3.5 for a good price this past holiday weekend, and boy am I glad I did. This thing is everything I wish the Endura was from an ergonomics standpoint. Almost the same blade length without the unnecessarily long handle (for my hand size, anyways).

My only gripe is that there is still a burr hanging off one side of the edge, from the factory. But there is no lock-rock and the action is good.
:bug-red
Models: PM2, Endura 4, Chaparral, Para 3 LW, Rescue 3, Para 3, Shaman, Manix 2, Native 5
Steels: Elmax, S30V, XHP, 4V, VG-10, CPM CRU-WEAR, K390, Z-WEAR, S45VN, 204P, REX 45
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Bolster wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:07 pm

Footnote: My casual research seemed to indicate that Moki vastly prefers (and may only work with) Japanese steels. So if Moki is still the mfgr, there may be a lot of steels we can cross off the list of potentials.

Hey! My research and knowledge of this area is mediocre at best; it's worth less than you paid for it. So please correct me if I'm in error here.

The latest Moki made Ayoob uses CPM-Cruwear. So you can un-cross off the potentials and add a "probably not, but maybe!" in parentheses. :beaming-face
•• Beau
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Buddafucco wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:42 am
Bolster wrote:

The latest Moki made Ayoob uses CPM-Cruwear. So you can un-cross off the potentials and add a "probably not, but maybe!" in parentheses. :beaming-face

Woo - hoo! Thanks for this excellent info! CruWear is extra delicious, too. Guessing that CruWear was shipped to Japan to make this happen?

:star-struck
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I was hoping they would some day release a bolstered model with no damascus and a less costly handle materiel. Bolsters are not just for pocket jewelry!
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Bolster wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:22 am
Buddafucco wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:42 am
Bolster wrote:

Woo - hoo! Thanks for this excellent info! CruWear is extra delicious, too. Guessing that CruWear was shipped to Japan to make this happen?

:star-struck
Yes, CPM-Cruwear is from Crucible here in the States.

Sal hinted before about different Japanese models getting Cruwear and SPY27. Hopefully we will see more of it.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

JSumm wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:40 am

Yes, CPM-Cruwear is from Crucible here in the States.

Sal hinted before about different Japanese models getting Cruwear and SPY27. Hopefully we will see more of it.

I marvel at economics that allow shipment of steel from US to Japan and then back again, then being sold at a still-reasonable price. It's a miracle!
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Rymanz wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:58 pm
I decided to pick up a Caly 3.5 for a good price this past holiday weekend, and boy am I glad I did. This thing is everything I wish the Endura was from an ergonomics standpoint. Almost the same blade length without the unnecessarily long handle (for my hand size, anyways).

My only gripe is that there is still a burr hanging off one side of the edge, from the factory. But there is no lock-rock and the action is good.
Good catch! The 3.5 is an excellent knife!