Kudos to Golden Fire & PD

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
The Mastiff

Re: Kudos to Golden Fire & PD

Post by The Mastiff »

Stressful lunch. There are some good comments here so I won't restate them. I will note that you handled it particularly well Sal. Many of us don't have a lot of restraint when seeing a loved one attacked and injured right in front if us. I commend you for not really going after the guy with bad intent. I know it wasn't needed and you made the correct decisions from beginning to end but not many have your willpower and control. I hope I would have made the same choices you did.

Joe
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Gail knocking the wind out of a 350lb fella! That's a nice jab, I'm not crawling into the ring with Gail!

-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Doc,

Yes, we believe the behavior was the result of Hypoxia and we have no ill will against the man. He's a neighbor and we were glad we could help. It is interesting that the Police officer asked Gail if she wanted to press charges. Gail said "no, he's our neighbor".

sal
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

sal wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:53 pm
Gail said "no, he's our neighbor".

sal
good on you two. too many people in this country have lost this mindset. no grace allowed anymore. i'm glad you two were there to help out and have the sense to not hold a man's lowest point against him for your own gain.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Here's a link to a law firm serving several states in the midwest. Article covers Good Samaritan Laws in Iowa and Illinois. You can see how different two adjoining states can be.

For instance, in Illinois, you are considered a Good Samaritan when you render first aid to someone only if you are certified in first aid “by the American Red Cross, the American Heart Association, or the National Safety Council.”

https://www.vlaw.com/suing-supers-good-samaritans/
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

sal wrote:
Hi Doc,

Yes, we believe the behavior was the result of Hypoxia and we have no ill will against the man. He's a neighbor and we were glad we could help. It is interesting that the Police officer asked Gail if she wanted to press charges. Gail said "no, he's our neighbor".

sal
Some parts of their job are like a check list, a lot of CYA, and making sure their job is done correctly.

SGT:
"Did Subject #1 press charges?"

Officer:
"No"

SGT:
"Did Subject #1 know they had a right to press charges?"

"I don't know" is not the answer the officer should give.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
canyonrat

Post by canyonrat »

Wow. I always feel good about giving my business to Spyderco but this makes me even more proud to carry your products every day. Plus all this happens and your post header is about thanking the Golden Fire and PD. What a class couple.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

RamZar wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 1:30 pm
Here's a link to a law firm serving several states in the midwest. Article covers Good Samaritan Laws in Iowa and Illinois. You can see how different two adjoining states can be.

For instance, in Illinois, you are considered a Good Samaritan when you render first aid to someone only if you are certified in first aid “by the American Red Cross, the American Heart Association, or the National Safety Council.”

https://www.vlaw.com/suing-supers-good-samaritans/
And that kind of nonsense makes it real hard to do the right thing, if one does not know where one stands. In reality, someone choking like that is already dead if no one helps. When “the law” puts potential first responders in a position where they can’t be sure of their liability, people won’t help. SMH.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

That's absolutely crazy! Glad you and Gail stepped up and are okay, hope she heals fast!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Filoso-

Post by Filoso- »

Oh my…What a story! That guy was very lucky that both of you were there… Wishing Gail a speedy recovery!
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

This brings back memories of when Buster Douglas knocked out Mike Tyson.
I never doubted him.
z1r

Post by z1r »

sal wrote:
Hi Doc,

sal
That's a very probable scenario. I know that when you are unconscious or borderline and regain consciousness, you can be very disoriented. As ladybug said, grace is an underrated quality, one missing from too many lives these days.
Mtnsteve

Post by Mtnsteve »

Sometimes the right people are in the right place at the right time. My thoughts with both of you, wishing Gail a speedy recovery.

It’s nice to see people doing the right thing.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:22 am
Gail knocking the wind out of a 350lb fella! That's a nice jab, I'm not crawling into the ring with Gail!

Good thinking. I've met Gail. If you manage to piss her off, well, she owns a chainsaw and a Bobcat. I don't like your chances.

Seriously, good job to both of you and the authorities as well. I wish Gail the speediest of recoveries.
Dunc5

Post by Dunc5 »

Blimey that’s quite a thing to happen , I hope Gail mends quickly and isn’t in pain. It would be really nice if the guy thanks and apologised to you both.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Hi Doc,

sal

That's a very probable scenario. I know that when you are unconscious or borderline and regain consciousness, you can be very disoriented. As ladybug said, grace is an underrated quality, one missing from too many lives these days.
That's my opinion. When he passed out after the struggle with his rescuers he was fortunate his heart didn't stop. Some do in those situations. He was lucky all around.

Having people you are rescuing begin to fight you isn't all that surprising . Even knowing that it can still come as a surprise. First responders generally earn the respect we give them.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Is Gail doing better Sal?
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
sal

Post by sal »

She's still seeing Doctors. She was hurt more than originally thought.

sal
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

sal wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:06 pm
She's still seeing Doctors. She was hurt more than originally thought.

sal

We are holding Gail and you in our thoughts and prayers, Sal. Speaks volumes on her tenacity how despite being hurt badly, she didn't press charges. Also hoping that the doctors would be able to help her heal from her injuries.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

Sal, so sorry to hear of the unfortunate injury to Gail while she was trying to save the guy's life, and sorry to hear that she was more hurt than originally thought. :worried I wish her a complete and speedy recovery.

I thank Gail, you, and the guy's associate for stepping in and saving that guy's life. :smlling-eyes It annoys me, though, that guy felt no good deed should go unpunished by lashing out at Gail then y'all then the first responders. :angry-horn-face I understand as others had noted that perhaps he was disoriented and wasn't aware of what he was doing, but seems he should've gotten some orientation back by the time the first responders arrived. First responders, including Gail, don't get the respect and recognition they deserve.

And, indeed, kudos to the Golden Fire and Police Departments for their outstanding response! :smlling-eyes We all should be thankful for people like Gail and the Golden first responders.

Best wishes to Gail, you, and your family as she heals.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!