Long Timers: How has this forum changed?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderGrill

Re: Long Timers: How has this forum changed?

Post by SpyderGrill »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 10:56 am
I love hearing any story from Sal / Gail concerning the origins of the company . In some ways a great love story and where it began as a couple with a dream . I highly respect that . MG2
Yes a love story and a dream that came to reality
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

yablanowitz wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:30 am
It depends on where he asked. In "Sal's Casual Bombshells" people would likely get bent out of shape because it's way off topic for that thread. Some of us like to stay within sight of the original thread topic out of respect for the person who started the thread.

I can't tell -- Is Yablanowitz giving me respect here, or no? Respect from the Yab is a rare and valuable thing, and has not changed in value for all my time here, so I wanna know.

;)
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

vivi wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 2:22 pm
No more SEF posts.
No more Vivi Posts.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Bolster wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:59 pm
yablanowitz wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:30 am
It depends on where he asked. In "Sal's Casual Bombshells" people would likely get bent out of shape because it's way off topic for that thread. Some of us like to stay within sight of the original thread topic out of respect for the person who started the thread.

I can't tell -- Is Yablanowitz giving me respect here, or no? Respect from the Yab is a rare and valuable thing, and has not changed in value for all my time here, so I wanna know.

;)

If there is one currency that holds its value the best here, I'd say it is respect !
Or sock drawers, I might have gotten those mixed up.. :winking-tongue
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Naperville wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:48 pm
vivi wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 2:22 pm
No more SEF posts.
No more Vivi Posts.
Well said and agree ! Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
James Y

Post by James Y »

A forum is a microcosm of any type of community. People come and go. Some stay for longer periods, some for shorter periods. Some leave because their interest cools down or stops, or they have other, more important matters to attend to in their lives. Some leave and come back, and leave again.

If there's one constant in life, it's that nothing is permanent.

Jim
KITROBASKIN

Post by KITROBASKIN »

Interesting thread, and always a treat to read what Sal has to say.

Years ago, Bladeforums Spyderco sub forum was a very nice place if I remember correctly. Sal was a dignified leader there as well.

Through all these years, he has not only been able to maintain a thriving manufacturing and sales presence in America, but has successfully negotiated business arrangements with traditional Japanese manufacturers as well. My father had dealings with Japanese suppliers; takes a polite (outward respect for traditional beliefs and practices), savvy, tenacious and patient approach. Well done!
brj

Post by brj »

I can echo pretty much everything that has already been said. I've joined back in 2007, but have been reading the forums since 2005.

I remember a lot of discussions about the (then) Spyderco-Benchmade feud. A lot of topics were focused on ergonomics, with designers like Chad los Banos and Alex Diaconescu pro-actively sharing their design philosophy. A lot of friendly banter back then, and this has mostly remained the same (although I can't imagine people would have got the same level of heat back then for daring to comment on snaggleteeth and lock stickiness and the likes, as they do now).

I feel Spyderco still shows an unparalleled level of listening to their customer base, but that approach is not risk-free (if I may draw a parallel with the pre-screenings they do in the movie business, giving audiences what they demand is a likely culprit for a lot of movies lately being entirely predictable and pretty much of the same, whereas those where directors take risks to bring their own vision to the public are better suited for reaching a 'cult/iconic' status at some point).

Also, while still way better than the rest of social media, I can see some of the founding principles from over there :winking-tongue (like thinking the more posts one person has, the more influential they should be, or the more they know on every topic) bleeding into the forums world as well, including on here.
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

brj wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:17 am
I can echo pretty much everything that has already been said. I've joined back in 2007, but have been reading the forums since 2005.

I remember a lot of discussions about the (then) Spyderco-Benchmade feud. A lot of topics were focused on ergonomics, with designers like Chad los Banos and Alex Diaconescu pro-actively sharing their design philosophy. A lot of friendly banter back then, and this has mostly remained the same (although I can't imagine people would have got the same level of heat back then for daring to comment on snaggleteeth and lock stickiness and the likes, as they do now).

I feel Spyderco still shows an unparalleled level of listening to their customer base, but that approach is not risk-free (if I may draw a parallel with the pre-screenings they do in the movie business, giving audiences what they demand is a likely culprit for a lot of movies lately being entirely predictable and pretty much of the same, whereas those where directors take risks to bring their own vision to the public are better suited for reaching a 'cult/iconic' status at some point).

Also, while still way better than the rest of social media, I can see some of the founding principles from over there :winking-tongue (like thinking the more posts one person has, the more influential they should be, or the more they know on every topic) bleeding into the forums world as well, including on here.
The Spyderco / Benchmade feud i remember that one.
If that would happen today it would be a way bigger mess then back then. :zany
The forum has changed because the world has changed aswel and especially online.
But its still the best place to hang out if you love knives and especially Spydies offcourse... :smlling-eyes ( off topic is also an amazing part of the forum but many seem to skip it.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

What I really find to be a positive feature of this forum is that there really are no moderators per se ( at least none that I'm aware of) with the possible exception of Tazkristi>> but things have to get extremely turbulent before mama bear chimes in on one of heated conversations.

Yeah for all intent and purposes we really tend to Police ourselves for the most part. This place just seems to draw a crowd that fully appreciates super high quality products. And most of the contributors don't seem to mind sharing their knowledge with others here on the Forum.

I've been on a few different forums over the years and I don't know of any that I find similar to Spyderville.