Chaparral

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ramonade

Re: Chaparral

Post by Ramonade »

Simple G10 with Spyderco's texture would be awesome. I think a thin g10 layer like on the G10 N5 could make the Chaparral feel really good in hand.

Otherwise, dyed and stabilized elder burl would be excellent. I just don't think that it is possible to do it on such a scale (I mean it in the production sense). I have scale material that I find just fantastic, but I select the pieces wich already have been selected by someone before. I get crazy patterns. It can't really be reproduced on a large scale, better use something like maple burl ^^
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

How about C-Tek? I think it looks pretty nice on the Chap. (On this knife pictured, I removed the factory Raffir scales and added the C-Tek with black CF bolsters).
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I like the mix of both. C-Tek alone is something I personally don't find that appealing. However, mixed with different materials it can look very good ! I've seen some C-Tek + micarta + CF combos that were fantastic looking
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

cjk

Post by cjk »

Here's my smooth forest green G-10 chaparral. forest green G-10 appears darker when smooth. It might make an acceptable substitute for British racing green on an upcoming Chaparral slipit for the UK market. ;)

PStone

Post by PStone »

JRinFL wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:00 am
PStone wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 5:23 am
Dichrolam.
https://www.dichrolam.com/index.html
That could make for a very pretty Chap. Case just released a run of covers in the BlackSea pattern. It’s supposed to mimic opal yet be super shiny and scratch resistant. But they also offer other patterns too.
This x 100!

I have two Case knives in Dichrolam Dead Sea and it looks fantastic.
Nice! What patterns do you have? How does it compare to other materials? Like Kirinite or RaffirNoble specifically, but also any other stuff you may have. I’ve only seen it online and never in person.
PStone

Post by PStone »

cjk wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:39 pm
Here's my smooth forest green G-10 chaparral. forest green G-10 appears darker when smooth. It might make an acceptable substitute for British racing green on an upcoming Chaparral slipit for the UK market. ;)
That looks really good. I’d be down for a smooth g10 slip-it Chap. The smooth g10 on the Sun/Moon is really nice and well done.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Here’s the original Ctek Chaparral… This is the knife that inspired Sal to make the Raffir Noble version after I showed it to him at an OKCA show years ago. Cheers, Radioactive

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

A Chaparral SLIPIT™ non-locking folder is in the works?

If it is, then a British Racing Green G-10 would be really nice!

• I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I love that green ! My father had a lotus Elise in this color, it's my favorite. I'm sold already !

cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Those Chaps are beautiful. The Jag isn't bad either.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Here’s what Spyderco currently (2022 Product Guide) says about the Chaparral series (hopefully the highlighted features are not etched in stone):

Chaparral™ Family

The Chaparral is a plant native to the Western U.S. that is known for its ability to regenerate after harsh weather conditions and even wildfires. Its resilient spirit makes it a
fitting namesake for Spyderco’s immensely popular Chaparral Series, which celebrates a diverse range of handle materials by incorporating them into the same, sleek prestige folder format.

All knives in this series share the same basic characteristics—a full-flat-ground, leaf-shaped blade crafted from CTS XHP stainless steel, a sturdy back lock mechanism, a reversible deep-pocket wire clip, and a symmetrical design that is equally at home in both the left and right hand. Each version, however, proudly showcases a distinctive handle material or treatment that gives it a unique character within the breed.”
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
cjk

Post by cjk »

RamZar wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:19 pm

Message for you sir:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=92731
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

cjk wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 3:05 pm
RamZar wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:19 pm

Message for you sir:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=92731

Thank you.

Based on what Sal said in June 2022 we should see it in 2023.

sal wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:58 am
It's still 6 months to a year out.

sal
sal wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:45 pm
The Slipit variation was a request from the Brits, whom like the pattern, but can't legally carry the model in the UK. again, my call. We reserve the right to please r customers even if there are variations from basic projects. Since the design is mine, I can offer these mods and still maintain the integrity of the basic pattern project.

sal
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

My Chaparral Collection:

GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Krinkite is a bit "case knives" for me.

Fat carbon needs a bit of a contour to look best.

Maybe a dark wood, or G carta?

Or a smooth micarta like dozier knife handles?
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Really nice collection.
Sharp24/7

Post by Sharp24/7 »

cjk wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:39 pm

Those scales are great. Where’d you get them?
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Epic collection! It's nice to compare and admire the variation in aesthetic.
I was just thinking aluminum like the recent PM2's would be a neat look; some other metals like copper and brass might be interesting.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

As long as the milling on the aluminum handle is different that the PM2. What a pocket shredder. Other than that, great knife.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

I went through the thread thus far and extracted Proposed Handle Materials (please feel free to add and/or make corrections):

1. All Stainless Steel (perhaps engraved)
  2. Aluminum — Textured
  3. C-Tek with Black CF Bolsters
  4. Curly Maple
  5. Dichrolam
  6. Elder Burl Wood - Dyed and Stabilized
  7. Fat Carbon - Gold Dark Matter
  8. Fat Carbon - Side Cut
  9. Fordite
  10. FRN in New Colors
  11. G-10 — Diamond Arc Pattern
  12. G-10 — Smooth
  13. G-10 — Textured
  14. Kirinite
  15. Marbled CF
  16. Micarta
  17. Raffir Wood
  18. Snake Wood
  19. TeroTuff
  20. Ultem