Chaparral

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RamZar

Chaparral

Post by RamZar »

Last year I completed my Chaparral collection (all except the Blue Stepped Titanium - I tried several but just didn't like the annodization on any of them) and I'm hoping there are more new models on the way highlighting other handle materials. Also, perhaps an upgrade from XHP to a stainless steel like S45VN, SPY27, 20CV, MagnaCut, etc.

Current & Discontinued Chaparral Models:

1. Chaparral 1 CPM-S30V CF/G-10 Laminate
  2. Chaparral 1 CTS-XHP CF/G-10 Laminate
  3. Chaparral 2 CTS-XHP Titanium
  4. Chaparral 3 CTS-XHP Stepped Titanium
  5. Chaparral 4 CTS-XHP Blue Stepped Titanium
  6. Chaparral 5 CTS-XHP Raffir Noble Composite Scales
  7. Chaparral 6 CTS-XHP Gray FRN
  8. Chaparral Sun & Moon CTS-XHP White G-10 (Red G-10 Inlay) & Black G-10 (Mother-of-Pearl Inlay)
  9. Chaparral CTS-XHP Birdseye Maple

Proposed Models:

1. All Stainless Steel (perhaps engraved)
  2. Simple Textured G-10
  3. True Marbled CF
  4. Micarta
  5. FRN in new colors

Larrin's Corrosion Resistance Test (New Steel is MagnaCut)
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
p_atrick

Re: Chaparral

Post by p_atrick »

I know the last one was wood, but there are so many types of interesting wood. Curly maple, snake wood, anything spalted, etc. Working with organic materials presents its own set of challenges though.

TeroTuff and Ultem seem to be popular.
Sharp24/7

Post by Sharp24/7 »

For stainless I’d vote Magnacut. Between its toughness and potential hardness it seems perfect for a thin Chap blade. I’d like to see that in FRN. I’d also like a crazy high edge retention steel like K390 in a green canvas Micarta. Also, I have the Sun and Moon and I love it, just gorgeous.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

I’ve heard of issues with Raffir Noble and Sun & Moon having to do with scratches showing. Also, the Birdseye Maple Wood model (last one released in January 2021) having water damage. For carrying without worries, you can’t beat the CF/G-10 Laminate or FRN models.

Another desirable CF material would be one of the Fat Carbon Fiber ones but something less wild and colorful (SMKW PM2 Exclusives). I kind of like their “Dark Matter Gold” (see below).

The Marbled CF on the Fradon Lock Exclusive was also very nice.

• I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

RamZar wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 4:43 pm
Last year I completed my Chaparral collection...

You tease...and no photo?

Regards a stainless steel...have you been having issues with corrosion on your Chaps?
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I’d like to see main Chaparral series remain CTS-XHP and reserve any steel changes for the lightweight FRN model only.

As for a new handle material I’d like to see, I think “Fordite” would make for an awesome version of the Chaparral.
-Nick :bug-red
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Congrats on completing your collection!
I like all of your proposals.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
sn0wman72

Post by sn0wman72 »

I think we need a photo of the complete collection
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Kirinite! They even have green and pink GITD. Here is a completely random sampling.

Black and Red Lava!

I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Here are my 8 different Chaparral folders including two versions of the CF/G-10 Laminate with S30V & XHP steels. The only one I don’t have nor want is the Blue Anodized Stepped Titanium one. This is a photo of the boxes / pouch. I’ll take a picture of the knives during daytime this weekend.

RamZar

Post by RamZar »

As for a Textured G-10 handle the Forest Green Diamond Arc pattern which Spyderco used on ParaMilitary2 & Para3 Sprint Runs with CPM-S45VN in April 2020 & July 2020 respectively is an excellent choice.

PStone

Post by PStone »

Dichrolam.
https://www.dichrolam.com/index.html
That could make for a very pretty Chap. Case just released a run of covers in the BlackSea pattern. It’s supposed to mimic opal yet be super shiny and scratch resistant. But they also offer other patterns too.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

RamZar wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 7:23 pm
I’ve heard of issues with Raffir Noble and Sun & Moon having to do with scratches showing. Also, the Birdseye Maple Wood model (last one released in January 2021) having water damage. For carrying without worries, you can’t beat the CF/G-10 Laminate or FRN models.

Another desirable CF material would be one of the Fat Carbon Fiber ones but something less wild and colorful (SMKW PM2 Exclusives). I kind of like their “Dark Matter Gold” (see below).

The Marbled CF on the Fradon Lock Exclusive was also very nice.

I would love to see a real CF Chaparral, and marbled and dark matter look great!

I would also love to see Side/Cross Cut CF in the Chaparral.

Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

PStone wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 5:23 am
Dichrolam.
https://www.dichrolam.com/index.html
That could make for a very pretty Chap. Case just released a run of covers in the BlackSea pattern. It’s supposed to mimic opal yet be super shiny and scratch resistant. But they also offer other patterns too.
This x 100!

I have two Case knives in Dichrolam Dead Sea and it looks fantastic.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I like the idea of a new Chap and a new steel even in the FRN model . Micarta or G10 would definitely interest me , but other offerings scratch resistant would be nice especially in a CF . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Not sure if I should make another thread, but I'm curious about the construction of the Chaparral blade. It has a stop pin in the blade that connects with the internal blade stops. Does anybody know anything about the steel used for the stop pin? I assume it isn't XHP (seems like that would be an added cost), but it does have to stand up to repeated contact with the liners. Is it the same material as the back lock? Is it heat treated? The mechanism seems simple enough, but I'm sure it is more complex that I assume.
cjk

Post by cjk »

RamZar wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 3:16 am
As for a Textured G-10 handle the Forest Green Diamond Arc pattern which Spyderco used on ParaMilitary2 & Para3 Sprint Runs with CPM-S45VN in April 2020 & July 2020 respectively is an excellent choice.

I would agree that the scales on those are just fantastic.
cjk

Post by cjk »

p_atrick wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:46 am
Not sure if I should make another thread, but I'm curious about the construction of the Chaparral blade. It has a stop pin in the blade that connects with the internal blade stops. Does anybody know anything about the steel used for the stop pin? I assume it isn't XHP (seems like that would be an added cost), but it does have to stand up to repeated contact with the liners. Is it the same material as the back lock? Is it heat treated? The mechanism seems simple enough, but I'm sure it is more complex that I assume.
I expect that the answers to your questions would be considered privileged information / Spyderco intellectual property/ something like that, so I wouldn't expect to get many of them answered.
Superflex

Post by Superflex »

RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Dazen wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 6:58 am
I would also love to see Side/Cross Cut CF in the Chaparral.

That looks nice. I wonder if it has some texture to it, that is, not smooth in which case you can have your cake and eat it too.