Chaparral

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JRinFL

Re: Chaparral

Post by JRinFL »

PStone wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:04 pm
JRinFL wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:00 am
PStone wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 5:23 am
Dichrolam.
https://www.dichrolam.com/index.html
That could make for a very pretty Chap. Case just released a run of covers in the BlackSea pattern. It’s supposed to mimic opal yet be super shiny and scratch resistant. But they also offer other patterns too.
This x 100!

I have two Case knives in Dichrolam Dead Sea and it looks fantastic.
Nice! What patterns do you have? How does it compare to other materials? Like Kirinite or RaffirNoble specifically, but also any other stuff you may have. I’ve only seen it online and never in person.
Screen Shot 2022-10-20 at 9.34.23 AM.jpg
Trapper
Screen Shot 2022-10-20 at 9.34.03 AM.jpg
Butterbean (Mini Canoe) - Roughly half the size of the trapper IRL.

So far it seems more resistant to scratches versus Raffir Noble. It's also harder to photograph. It changes with every angle and light condition. Too flashy for some, but I love looking at it.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

JRinFL wrote:
Thu Oct 20, 2022 7:40 am
PStone wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:04 pm
JRinFL wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:00 am
PStone wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 5:23 am
Dichrolam.
https://www.dichrolam.com/index.html
That could make for a very pretty Chap. Case just released a run of covers in the BlackSea pattern. It’s supposed to mimic opal yet be super shiny and scratch resistant. But they also offer other patterns too.
This x 100!

I have two Case knives in Dichrolam Dead Sea and it looks fantastic.
Nice! What patterns do you have? How does it compare to other materials? Like Kirinite or RaffirNoble specifically, but also any other stuff you may have. I’ve only seen it online and never in person.

Trapper

So far it seems more resistant to scratches versus Raffir Noble. It's also harder to photograph. It changes with every angle and light condition. Too flashy for some, but I love looking at it.
Stunning. I was captured staring at it like an abyss.
PStone

Post by PStone »

JRinFL wrote:
Thu Oct 20, 2022 7:40 am

Trapper

Wow! Those are beautiful. And thank you for the feedback. I was actually looking at the Butterbean and the Teardrop. That's good to hear about the scratch resistance too. Very flashy. That's a good thing! A Chap would blow a lot of minds.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

twinboysdad wrote:
Thu Oct 20, 2022 7:47 am

Stunning. I was captured staring at it like an abyss.
Even better in real life!
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

PStone wrote:
Thu Oct 20, 2022 7:53 am

Wow! Those are beautiful. And thank you for the feedback. I was actually looking at the Butterbean and the Teardrop. That's good to hear about the scratch resistance too. Very flashy. That's a good thing! A Chap would blow a lot of minds.
A Chap in this material would make me break my "no more Chaparrals" rule.

Feast your eyes: https://www.dichrolam.com/
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
cjk

Post by cjk »

wow! that's pretty!
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

I wonder if we'll soon see any announcements on new Chaparral models including the SLIPIT™ non-locking version.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I just need a LW, preferably Salty.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

RamZar wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 3:58 pm
My Chaparral Collection:

That's amazing! Inspirational! Thanks for the photo
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Would love to see a Chaparral with Blue Denim Canvas Micarta scales.

• I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Oh Chappies and Sages in all kinds of variations would be awesome and I think sell pretty well. I don't know what the capacity of the Taichung factory is these days but boy howdy it would be nice.
DansGearAddiction

Post by DansGearAddiction »

Dazen wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 6:58 am
I would love to see a real CF Chaparral, and marbled and dark matter look great!

I would also love to see Side/Cross Cut CF in the Chaparral.
Did a quick mockup in Photoshop -- honestly looks the cross-cut CF is very clean and classy and would fit the ethos of the knife: a gentlemans knife for showing off handle materials.

In addition, I'd still love to see a "Smooth" FRN variant (same pattern as the UKPK, Pingo, Urban, etc.) as well as basic, no-frills Titanium and G10 version; the LW is great, but would love some more "plain jane" variants since its an incredible tool.
Current Collection
Chaparral (LW, Stepped, Stealth, Sun & Moon), Dragonfly 2 (VG-10), McBee, Stretch 2 (K390), UKPK Salt (LC200N)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Always glad when the Chap gets attention.

As always: I'd really recommend getting one to pretty much everyone who likes Spyderco.

Even if one should end up deciding that the Chap is not a real favorite, the unique in several ways design and experience is worth it!!

(And my secret hope: That through that experience more people will advocate for thinner blade stock and see how strong it still really is... :smirk )
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

I haven't noticed this thread before, but glad I did now.
Being quite pragmatic when it comes to knives, the current LW/Grey FRN will be pretty hard to beat for my preferences.
That said, having just discovered the full stainless experience, I think the Chap could be a great platform for such a knife. I currently only own a Harpy in SS, which surprised me with its carry comfort to the extent that I'm on the lookout for a more versatile blade and deeper/subdued carry that would allow for more frequent use. I haven't really found that yet, but a SS Chap be über cool. If they made a black coated version I'd probably buy both.

If I could wish for a version deviating from the stated objective of the platform, me and my wallet would be very open to a k390 wharncliffe with blue canvas micarta scales.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

An all stainless steel Chaparral is oft requested. It’ll make for a super thin Chaparral. Perhaps some texturing on the stainless steel frame to afford better grip.

My wish is for a Chaparral with MagnaCut & Blue Denim Canvas Micarta scales.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

aicolainen wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2023 5:26 am
I haven't noticed this thread before, but glad I did now.
Being quite pragmatic when it comes to knives, the current LW/Grey FRN will be pretty hard to beat for my preferences...

Well, not too long ago Sal said this

"I made the [Chaparral] FRN version because I felt there was a market for a less expensive utility version. This also offers opportunity for colors, exclusive variations and who knows what else. I'm currently testing a serrated version, which is performing well." (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=80989&p=1613137#p1613132)

...so there is hope for variants. :smlling-eyes
See also this thread an excited me started after reading Sals statement ;)

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=92165
Last edited by Wartstein on Sat Apr 08, 2023 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Cannot wait for the SE version. Not buying another Spydie until that drops.
northvanbamboo

Post by northvanbamboo »

Everything about grey FRN chaparral is on point except for the steel... I hope one day we will get the frn version in k390 or some other high edge retention steel. I also love urban in k390, but cut myself with it too many times due to lack of the lock. I use it mainly for wood carving and would love to see chaparral with a steel i don't have to sharpen so often. So if you get a slipit chaparral i will demand urban with back lock :)
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

It has been over two years since the last Chaparral model (Birdseye Maple Wood) came out in January 2021.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

RamZar wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 1:51 am
It has been over two years since the last Chaparral model (Birdseye Maple Wood) came out in January 2021.

And that despite there are "two lanes" now

- The original Chaparral concept (displaying different handle materials)
- The lightweight as a platform for all kinds of variants (according to Sal) - so blade shape? Steel? Edge configuration? Colors?