Best knife sharpener for S45VN and S90V?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
robd003

Best knife sharpener for S45VN and S90V?

Post by robd003 »

Hey guys,

I wanted to learn how to sharpen my own knives and was wondering what the community thought was the best setup. I've heard a bit about DMT benchstones and the KME sharpening system. I'm biased towards the KME system since I'm a total n00b who knows nothing about getting the right angle.

I was also told about the Work Sharp precision adjust sharpener, but it looks like you can only use their proprietary stones and it kinda seems like cheap Walmart crap vs something that I could use for years.

Would love to get your feedback and know what you guys in the community are using to sharpen your own knives.

Thanks,
Rob :usflag
TazKristi

Re: Best knife sharpener for S45VN and S90V?

Post by TazKristi »

Hi, robd003:
Welcome to our forum. We'd recommend our Tri-Angle Sharpmaker.

We hope you enjoy your time with us.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

robd003 wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:50 pm
Hey guys,

I wanted to learn how to sharpen my own knives and was wondering what the community thought was the best setup. I've heard a bit about DMT benchstones and the KME sharpening system. I'm biased towards the KME system since I'm a total n00b who knows nothing about getting the right angle.

I was also told about the Work Sharp precision adjust sharpener, but it looks like you can only use their proprietary stones and it kinda seems like cheap Walmart crap vs something that I could use for years.

Would love to get your feedback and know what you guys in the community are using to sharpen your own knives.

Thanks,
Rob :usflag
I would second the Spyderco Sharpmaker but get the CBN or Diamond rods with it. It will make a big difference when sharpening harder steels like S90V. Plus, when turned over it can act as a flat stone, and you can practice free hand sharpening.

If you need to totally reprofile a knife, basically give it a totally new cutting edge, then something like a KME would be worth looking at.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

I use a sharpmaker and one of these:

The blade grinding attachment is SWEET!
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
FK

Post by FK »

I like DMT diamonds for initial bevel setting,,,, Spyderco Tri Angle Sharp Maker for touch ups.

Regards,
FK
Spicy Suplex

Post by Spicy Suplex »

My S45VN PM2 seems to really enjoy the Medium/Brown corners on the sharpmaker for light touch ups. S90V I'd go with something more beefy like CBN mentioned above. Welcome to the forum!
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I use the Precision Adjust with the upgrade kit all the time for reprofiling if I'm not going to free hand. When it comes to reprofiling....I would choose it 100 out of 100 times over using a Sharpmaker with CBN or Diamond stones...and also spend a lot less money.

It's not exactly cheap Walmart stuff...I've reprofiled $600 CRK's with it and they've turned out amazing.

The Sharpmaker is more of a "Sharp Keeper" in my eyes. Great for touchups, but you better have A LOT of free time if you're going to reprofile (talking hours) and also hope you can keep a steady hand/angle that entire time.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I've had my Sharpmaker for about 10 years now. It does a great job for quick touch-ups, and has been pressed into service taking chips out of harder steels (although it took a long time). Recently, I got the CBN rods, and some new brown rods, and I'm really enjoying the setup.

I also have a WorkSharp Precision Adjust that I picked up last year for $40. It does a great job reprofiling. When I first got it, I went a little trigger-happy taking all my knives down to 15º per side - including my Maxamet Manix 2. That is a really cool feature! At this point though, most of those knives have a microbevel again, from using the Sharpmaker. The Manx doesn't yet, because I haven't had to touch up the edge at all since then. :smlling-eyes

I would say that if you really want a guided sharpener, the KME is the better, more versatile option. However, the PA is good enough for most EDC knives and some kitchen knives. I still use my Sharpmaker a lot more.
Last edited by kennethsime on Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Welcome to the forum!

This is one of those questions where you will get numerous different, but still correct answers.

I have a KME and I recommend it, but you need some things to make it better. An electronic angle finder is a minimum add on. See Gritomatic for more worthwhile additions.

Several people have reported excellent results for little money invested using the Worksharp Precision adjust. It also can be improved by offerings from Gritomatic, including an adapter to allow you to use other stones.

Edited to add: See above, they beat me to the punch on the PA.

Fixed typo
Last edited by JRinFL on Fri Oct 14, 2022 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Wicked Edge for reprofiling. Sharpmaker for touch ups
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Netherend

Post by Netherend »

I use the sharpmaker on s90v. The diamond rods are convenient for reprofiling but I rarely need them for touch ups.
Just one more knife...
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

I have reprofiled several Spydies using the Sharpmaker, both PE and SE -- dozens of hours!

Then I took Rick's advice and got the Worksharp Precision Adjust. I can reprofile an S110V Manix or PM2 in less than an hour of working time; a 52100 PM2 or Military in a few minutes. I might prefer a higher-end guided system, but the Worksharp let me get my feet wet for a lot less money. Maybe eventually a KME or Hapstone, who knows...

In the meantime, Worksharp for reprofiling; Sharpmaker for serrations and PE microbevels and touchups.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Also using the WS PA since it out got. Best bang for the buck guided system, but not without its flaws. Due to the plastic construction of the neck of the clamp system, really vigorous sharpening passes will cause the neck to slightly move up and down. There are some DIY and 3d printed solutions that will support the clamping system though. It's a system that really needs some mods and aftermarket parts to be perfect. But for the money, I would recommend it.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

Coastal wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:52 pm
In the meantime, Worksharp for reprofiling; Sharpmaker for serrations and PE microbevels and touchups.
This is what I currently use those 2 systems for, they complement each other very well. I do supplement the Sharpmaker with the CBN rods (makes quicker work of touching up high wear-resistance steels). And as others have mentioned, the Sharpmaker makes for a not-bad improvised benchstone when turned over if you want to freehand sharpen/reprofile (though I still recommend getting some decent diamond plates for freehand reprofiling, and I recommend practicing conventional freehand sharpening in general, it's just a good skill to have & develop if you're into knives & other hand cutting tools).
Guts

Post by Guts »

Having just reprofiled a very badly sharpened S90V PM3 the other day which I bought used, the Sharpmaker definitely works with the diamond rods, but it does take quite a bit of time. I think for a super steel like that, maybe something even more aggressive like the powered worksharp would've been better just to save time. Sharpmaker is definitely great for touchups on whichever steel though.
:bug-red-white :bug-red :bug-white-red
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

Guts wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:29 pm
Having just reprofiled a very badly sharpened S90V PM3 the other day which I bought used, the Sharpmaker definitely works with the diamond rods, but it does take quite a bit of time. I think for a super steel like that, maybe something even more aggressive like the powered worksharp would've been better just to save time. Sharpmaker is definitely great for touchups on whichever steel though.
How much time/how many strokes?
Guts

Post by Guts »

sethwm wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:34 pm
Guts wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:29 pm
How much time/how many strokes?
I don't count strokes, but it took like 3-4hrs probably. I don't go particularly fast when I'm reprofiling and check my work often though so maybe someone who's better with the Sharpmaker than I am can do it a lot quicker. I don't reprofile often so the Sharpmaker has always worked fine for me over the years, but when I was doing that S90V blade I was wishing I had something that could hog off metal faster :grin-sweat. The seller really undersold the condition of the edge.
:bug-red-white :bug-red :bug-white-red
rooster81

Post by rooster81 »

I use the pocket DMT duosharp stones, in coarse/fine (blue/red) and extra fine/extra extra fine (green/beige). You can get a guide if you don't want to hand sharpen (https://www.amazon.com/DMT-ABG-Aligner- ... 164&sr=8-6). With only those two sets of stones you can get any steel to hair popping sharp. If you add a Spyderco ultra fine stone and diamond paste (on wood or strops) you can get a hair whittling edge.

See Michael Christy's video on pocket stones here: https://youtu.be/3y49xPaO0kk

You need diamond stones or something equally hard to sharpen S90V. The DMT Duosharp stones are relatively inexpensive, portable, and last a long time.
Snacktime

Post by Snacktime »

Sharpmaker, I regret wasting money on other product. Secret is last few passes keep a very light touch and wow. I hit my kitchen knives weekly and demoted my nice flat stone to the garage.
My socks carry tip up MNOSD Member 0021
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

I use the sharpmaker for to keep my users sharp. But for duller edges i also use the Worksharp Ken onion edition. And so far it gives me the best results i ever had.