Seconds sale 2022

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ngati Pom

Re: Seconds sale 2022

Post by Ngati Pom »

Load times are extended which I can understand. Managed to get some knives into my cart. :open-grin
Some confusion on my end about my password… :no-mouth
Now my account has been suspended for 5 hrs. :neutral
I’ll leave it for now.

Edit, tried again with success. Now I wait… :smlling-eyes

A big thanks to everyone at Spyderco.
Last edited by Ngati Pom on Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
'The future is already here;it's just not evenly distributed'
William Gibson
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

It was slow but I had no problem to check out with the Native 5. Huge thank you to Spyderco and everyone who put this together. Hope I get one of the better functioning examples, not worried about cosmetics.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:00 pm
Rinzler wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:50 pm
GarageBoy wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:09 pm
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:05 pm
I’m tempted but having been to a few seconds sales I’m a little wary of buying sight unseen.
What's the gnarliest thing you've seen sold as a second?
For myself: warped blades that contact liners on closing necessitating you to push the blade over so it closes, and knives that have actions so tight that feel like someone took a breaker bar to the pivot while assembling the knife (yet they’re still wobbly blades).
Yup. Also extremely wonky bevels as well as serious lock stick.

It’s nice to be able to see them yourself. Lots of the knives have almost no flaws.

Only purchased one seconds, it appeared perfect, but the edge could contact a standoff if closed a little too hard. Perfectly useable if you were careful. Nice that Spyderco is quick to reject even the slightest flaws. But I stay away from seconds; those little things keep reminding me that if I'd paid a bit more, I'd not have to deal with the issue.

I'd buy seconds in person, if I could inspect; but not otherwise.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I only have 3 knives that are seconds (I think) and I got lucky on all. All were purchased blind, two have absolutely no flaws that I can find and one has a tiny dot on the blade that I couldn't even find for a couple days. Hopefully the PITS will be just as nice
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
sshook

Post by sshook »

Lmao, what a fun little flash sale. I missed the in person sale but still came to Golden and bought a knife. But when the sale popped up today, I could not resist grabbing a Native 5 in Maxamet to put under the tree for my better half!
:bug-white-red proud owner of 5 Spyderco folders and 3 excellent Spyderco kitchen knives :bug-white-red

entry-level knife nerd, modder, and fidgeter

If it isn't purple, I don't want it.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I didn't see the blue PITS that I've been watching this sale. I know it had gone through at least two Sales. Action as smooth as 40 grit sandpaper. I almost bought it last year, but threw it back in favor of one with different (easier to fix) issues.

Sometimes the flaw is obvious, but most of mine I couldn't tell you what the problem was supposed to be.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Sshook,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
z1r

Post by z1r »

sshook wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:19 pm
Lmao, what a fun little flash sale. I missed the in person sale but still came to Golden and bought a knife. But when the sale popped up today, I could not resist grabbing a Native 5 in Maxamet to put under the tree for my better half!
Funny, I tried to purchase the same. My luck wasn't so good. It was a nice, unexpected surprise. I'm glad for those that were able to complete their purchases.

I did well at the in person Sale, so I'm not complaining.
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Mushroom wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:28 am
That’s so incredibly disappointing to see! :vomit Some prices are even better than the in person sale. Feels kind of deceptive.
To clarify, the final pricing is the same. The difference is the tax that is calculated during checkout. Factory seconds sold in person have tax calculated into the pricing - that saves us some time during the checkout process and keeps things moving efficiently. The factory seconds sold online today have the appropriate taxes added during checkout. We didn't lower anything for what we offered online.

I hope this clears up that confusion.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
hereiamu1

Post by hereiamu1 »

I think it's a good thing I didn't see this until latter. Some very tempting offers especially the Manix's. Almost went for an Urban Ivory but I did get a PITS and Byrd.
vanka

Post by vanka »

Lumpy620 wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:00 pm
Took almost an hour, but way less time out then the last online seconds sale. Very cool surprise when I got the notification, luckily Monday is conference call day @ work so I had plenty of uninterrupted time. 🤣

Picked up a PITS and a plain-jane Shaman, which I justified was a necessity when I realized I don't currently own a stainless Shaman.
So it's you who took the last Shaman out of my basket!!! :zany :rofl :rofl
Last edited by vanka on Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

TazKristi wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:25 pm
Mushroom wrote:
That’s so incredibly disappointing to see! :vomit Some prices are even better than the in person sale. Feels kind of deceptive.
To clarify, the final pricing is the same. The difference is the tax that is calculated during checkout. Factory seconds sold in person have tax calculated into the pricing - that saves us some time during the checkout process and keeps things moving efficiently. The factory seconds sold online today have the appropriate taxes added during checkout. We didn't lower anything for what we offered online.

Kristi
Kristi,

I am sure you had some hard work put into this sale. From everyone that could not make the second sale a big thank you, it was awesome. Got a Native 5 in Maxamet and I am extremely excited. Checkout was slow but smooth and reliable, no major issues.

Put in a good word for me and have them send me a nice one. 😉

Thanks
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
phaust

Post by phaust »

Looks like it's down to six models. I'm a little surprised the Stovepipe is still there when so many people seemed to say they'd get one if it was cheaper. OTOH for $50 more you can get the ..first(?) right now, so maybe that's part of it.
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

After about 90mins of epic battle with the server and my account not accepting the password I have saved in my phone during checkout. The website won and I gave up. All I wanted was any Paramilitary 2. Maybe next time if they do this again. They can do it on a another platform. Maybe do it staggered through out the day so people have to really commit to wanting a deal!
Flash Batch request: Flat Iron Salt (CE w/ yellow FRN)
New knife request: Police 4 Salt!!!

“Don’t be so open minded that your brain falls out”
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

TazKristi wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:25 pm
Mushroom wrote:

Kristi
It does help to clear up my confusion. I was not accounting for sales tax online.

Thank you for clarifying that for me, Kristi. :bug-white-red :respect
-Nick :bug-red
BIGSTRETCH

Post by BIGSTRETCH »

It is very exciting to have a couple super premium steel knives coming that I will not feel the need to baby. My diamond stones can’t wait! Enduring the server lag, having to fill out forms repeatedly wasn’t easy but totally worth it. Thanks Spyderco, for giving us a shot at the seconds sale online!
JestersHK

Post by JestersHK »

Thank you to all at Spyderco for the chance at some seconds online.

The great 2nds war of 2020 was what got me into my first few Spydercos and I'm slowly switching out all my others now. My trip to the factory store this summer sealed the deal, and now I'm a fan boy lol.

I managed to get a Manix and somehow a mule in my cart. Had a G10 in there but ended up with a FRC... some wonkiness but I did have 2 different phones trying to get the pages to load.

We'll see what I actually get I guess.

Thanks again for the opportunity.
Napsterninja

Post by Napsterninja »

Thanks Spyderco for having another online sale. My first Spyderco seconds was in 2020 online. Caught it right about the start time. Yes, there was some lag and everytime I came back to the main page, another new item was offered. I completed two orders just in case something went out of stock while in my cart. Timed out a few times. Not bad for mobile service, 5g and 2021 Android phone. Thanks again for the hard work Spyderco! Appreciate the second online Seconds sale.👍😉
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Picked up a ZDP 189 Mule from the sale…sweet

Threw a UpTern plainedge in for company. (Don’t like knives travelling by themselves)

Glad on the wallet the mayhem was over by the time I woke up Tuesday morning in Australia :squinting-tongue
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

Found the second sale while i was picking up my Girlfriend from here job. When i got home 20 minuts later everything i really wanted was already gone. So i thought i would buy something else.
Just to try buying something in the states for once.
There i found out i have never made an account. So i tried to do that but the site was so slow and buggy it was like trying to buy tickets for Tomorrowland... ( big music festival in Belgium ) Took me 2 hours to register. By then offcoarse everything i thought i would want to try was gone aswel. So Hope they do it again next year.