Anyone else find it ironic how the Enuff wasnt really Enuff?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

Why'd they make it bigger? Have people's standers just changed? It doesn't seem like a very popular model. Maybe they were just trying to give it more traction. Thoughts?
"Some call me...Tim?"
Skidoosh

Re: Anyone else find it ironic how the Enuff wasnt really Enuff?

Post by Skidoosh »

I think it has more to due with people's perception that the blade needed to be longer than actual problems with the function. Its a great design. I think the serrated one is a go to for kayaking. It was a knife designed to be exactly "enuff" and it delivered.
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Yes I see the irony but will definitely look at getting the more than Enuff
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

I prefer EDC fixed blades with 6 to 7 inches overall length, so the Enuff meets my needs. I'm not at all interested in the larger model.

Price-wise, the Enuff faces competition from the Esee Izula II, Esee Xancudo, and others.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I think the Para 3 LW can safely fulfill all of my EDC needs without a doubt. But yeah, I prefer a PM2 with Micarta scales most days, because it's a little more than I really need.

I think the Enuff was Spyderco's answer to the ESEE Izula - a small, compact fixed blade that was "just enough" for EDC tasks.

I think the "More Than Enuff" will be like the PM2 - more than you really need every day, but really nice when the extra blade length comes in handy.

I'm not even certain that the Enuff was not an economic success - it may just be that Sal is doing the new model because we asked him so nicely here on the forum. In either case, the Enuff certainly was enough to perform - just maybe not enough to sell.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
sal

Post by sal »

There were numerous requests to make a longer thinner model.................so we did.

sal
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I like the idea of the larger knife. My needs have changed a lot since I no longer get out as much, but it is a great design, for sure. It should be popular and a stellar performer.

I am jonesing for an Enuff Salt, though.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:40 pm
I like the idea of the larger knife. My needs have changed a lot since I no longer get out as much, but it is a great design, for sure. It should be popular and a stellar performer.

I am jonesing for an Enuff Salt, though.
I believe the old Enuff Salt is still available...
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'd own at least two of them (standard version and the Salt) if the handle was just shaped a little differently, it's too small for my hand but if it just didn't have that pinky hook I could have made it work. This is how I get by with a Izula/BK14 handle being too small but still being usable. I think the overall size was "Enuff" but this one detail limits the hand size that can comfortably use it. And I don't know if the intention was to directly compete with knives like the Izula (intentional or not I guess it's an inevitable comparison), but it seems like a tough market to get into and price definitely comes into play.

I don't know about anyone else but for a fixed blade this size it's also hard to compete against the mules, which come in so many steel choices and hit a sweet spot for a usable smallish fixie.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
cjk

Post by cjk »

Paraguy wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:13 pm
I certainly found that amusing.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

I've always been intrigued by the Enuff, since I first saw it in a Spyderco catalogue.
There's a couple of things that held me back. At first, it was the fact that I wanted to have a salt knife, but no serrations and preferably a bit of belly, i.e. not a sheepsfoot.
The other thing, that may very well be a misconception, is that the handle seemed to be a bit large. However, reading that some find it to be too small, this might be an optical illusion. The short-ish blade may very well make the handle seem larger than it is. And going by spec's, it's only about 100mm which actually could be pretty close to perfect.

Now, especially with regards to the above realization, that the handle may indeed be the right size - I really want to support this model. My attitude towards serrations has also gone through a paradigm shift since the days when I considered that feature an instant deal breaker, but nevertheless the SE sheepsfoot is still a combo I still struggle to find any justifiable use for.

As it stands, I think a combination of a Subway bowie and a Swick 6 will serve my small fixed blade needs better and spend less time in the sock drawer combined than the Enuff alone. None of which are available here yet, so only time will tell.

The XL is a different use case, that I haven't really considered. Maybe a Salt version will force me to make that consideration, but until then, I have enough knives to shuffle around.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:16 am
I'd own at least two of them (standard version and the Salt) if the handle was just shaped a little differently, it's too small for my hand but if it just didn't have that pinky hook I could have made it work. This is how I get by with a Izula/BK14 handle being too small but still being usable. I think the overall size was "Enuff" but this one detail limits the hand size that can comfortably use it. And I don't know if the intention was to directly compete with knives like the Izula (intentional or not I guess it's an inevitable comparison), but it seems like a tough market to get into and price definitely comes into play.

I don't know about anyone else but for a fixed blade this size it's also hard to compete against the mules, which come in so many steel choices and hit a sweet spot for a usable smallish fixie.
Oh yeah. Thanks for reminding me about that hook. It would make it too small and uncomfortable for my hand. You saved me from wasting my money on a knife I couldn't use very well.

I wonder if that hook can be ground off? I can't understand the fascination of hooks on Spyderco handles. I understand the use, but even a round end would be better.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:25 am
Evil D wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:16 am

Oh yeah. Thanks for reminding me about that hook. It would make it too small and uncomfortable for my hand. You saved me from wasting my money on a knife I couldn't use very well.

I wonder if that hook can be ground off? I can't understand the fascination of hooks on Spyderco handles. I understand the use, but even a round end would be better.

My local knife shop had the Salt and when I handled it, I thought of everything I could to make it work but the placement of the scale screws limits how much you can tweak the handle shape. I guess if you wanted you could do away with the FRN scales and make your own and then modify it however you want.

Now that I'm looking at it again I wonder if you could nip the whole hook off since there's another screw at the end of the handle to hold it all together. I don't like modifying FRN as much as G10 but this might have potential.

FB31SYL_Both.png
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

I'll be very excited for an Enuff 2 Salt.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I guess I’m in the minority who thought the length was fine, but it was the blade stock was too thick. As it is, it feels a bit prybar-ish to me.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

JRinFL wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:43 am
I guess I’m in the minority who thought the length was fine, but it was the blade stock was too thick. As it is, it feels a bit prybar-ish to me.
Same. Needed to be thinner and the sheath was a problem
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

If anything it was too much. Thick blade stock and kind of pricey.

To be clear, I don’t think the price is out of line but fixed blades are a tough market and very competitive. There are lots of nice options in this size range.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

the only reason i never bought one was because i have an izula already and hoped for a thinner, slightly longer salt. i'm really looking forward to the new version. to be fair, i would've been stoked with a non-wharncliffe salt enuff.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

ladybug93 wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:50 pm
to be fair, i would've been stoked with a non-wharncliffe salt enuff.
Agreed
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

The Enuff (0.157) and the Izula (0.156) have about the same blade thickness.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050