Military aluminium backspacer

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Stanley637

Military aluminium backspacer

Post by Stanley637 »

Hi can anyone point me in the right direction on getting the aluminium back spacer for the military pre CQI, same old story one of the 2-56 threads stripped, can you even get these anymore? I would like to keep it original if possible.I'm in the UK.
Thanks
sal

Re: Military aluminium backspacer

Post by sal »

Hi Stanley,

Welcome to our forum.

We don't make them anymore. Maybe someone has an old one they can rob parts from?

sal
Stanley637

Post by Stanley637 »

Thanks Sal for letting know, I had a vision of a dusty box in a corner full of them.

Stanley
cjk

Post by cjk »

mxg gear makes a set of titanium standoffs for the old style military.
N. Brian Huegel

Post by N. Brian Huegel »

It should me difficult for a machinist or gunsmith to make a replacement.

nb
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

I might have one going spare, I’ve replaced with a cuscadi gitd one years ago. You’d have to pay the shipping but send me a Pm if interested.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Another option you might consider is seeing if Cuscadi or Suingab might make something up for you.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Stanley637

Post by Stanley637 »

w3tnz wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:40 pm
I might have one going spare, I’ve replaced with a cuscadi gitd one years ago. You’d have to pay the shipping but send me a Pm if interested.
PM sent
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I realize you want to keep it stock but those spacers are junk. I swapped all mine with standoffs. You can buy expensive ones from somebody who sells knife bling or you can buy basic stainless ones like Spyderco uses on the newer knives for cheap from a knife making supply dealer. I bought a ten pack a long time ago.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Stanley637

Post by Stanley637 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:41 am
I realize you want to keep it stock but those spacers are junk. I swapped all mine with standoffs. You can buy expensive ones from somebody who sells knife bling or you can buy basic stainless ones like Spyderco uses on the newer knives for cheap from a knife making supply dealer. I bought a ten pack a long time ago.
Steel spacers or standoff might be the best way to go in the end, the aluminum spacer seems to be prone to the treads stripping, may try later getting the spacer bushed with stainless threaded spacers.